Gage Roads Little Dove - "New World" Pale Ale?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Little Pony said:
I'll be attempting a crack at a clone this weekend with my brother who loves it (probably because he has shares in Gage Roads (poor bloke)).

94% ale malt
6% crystal dark

2g/l Galaxy @ 10 min - 22.70 IBU
2g/l Brooklyn (Moutere) @ 10 min - 27.55 IBU
1.4g/l Galaxy @ Flameout
1.4g/L Brooklyn @ Flameout
1.4g/l Galaxy @ Dry hop (5 days)
1.4g/l Brooklyn @ Dry hop (5 days)

US05 yeast

Mash @ 67 deg C

50 IBU, 25 EBC

Please let me know if you have any suggestions...

Will let you know how it goes.
So I assume there is some insider knowledge to this clone attempt? Little Dove is a nice smoother style IPA I'd love to make something close to it too.
Brooklyn Hops I'll have to get me some of them they sound good.

What about munich malt surely there is some of that in there ???

rude said:
What about munich malt surely there is some of that in there ???
Yeah I had some Vienna in my original recipe...

I'd agree that the beer is malty sweet, but it isn't heavy imho, which kind of put me off trying to overdo the grain bill with speciality malts.

I could be convinced though as in general I would make a more well balanced grain bill.

Drinking this now. 4 different malts, 4 different hops. Caramel malt noted in the blurb. At a guess I'd say 15% Vienna, sprinkling of lighter crystal and maybe Munich. I personally reckon Gladfields Redback malt would be very well placed if attempting to emulate, quite possibly in it.
Hops-wise I'm not getting Galaxy. Could be any blend of modern hop but I'm betting they're locally grown varieties, like Ella, Summer, NZ fruity varieties etc.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll definitely take it into consideration for the next attempt.

I put this down yesterday.

I was told there is no more galaxy left? So subbed for Citra.

Also did a small first wort hop addition of Brooklyn.

Made plenty of mistakes with my mash. Efficiency went down the pooper. Only hit 65 deg C.

I'm going to write this one off as an American IPA. It's still smelling and tasting delicious, but a bit off from what I was aiming for.

Live and learn.

I'm not sure if anyone has teamed Citra and Brooklyn (moutere) before, and I really think they make a good couple. The Brooklyn softens the citrus character of the Citra and brings with it some nice mango and melon.

Until next time.

Not tried it yet, but will look now. is it slightly dryer than your typical IPA, if so maybe they used some Gladfields supanova, just a thought

I reckon it has munich in it could be one of the cara-munich's and possibly vienna - my dopplebock was munich and vienna and there's something familiar about this beer

It's pretty malty sweet, I was surprised it was 6.2% especially with the name little dove

This is what I tried, turned out quite nice but not similar to the real thing.

Fermentables

Amount

Fermentable

PPG

°L

Bill %

4 kg

American - Pale Ale

78.4%

0.2 kg

German - Pale Wheat

3.9%

0.5 kg

German - CaraMunich I

9.8%

0.3 kg

United Kingdom - Crystal 15L

5.9%

0.1 kg

Passionfruit

2%

5.1 kg

Total

Hops

Amount

Variety

Type

AA

Use

Time

IBU

20 g

Chinook

Pellet

Boil

60 min

10 g

Citra

Pellet

Boil

30 min

15 g

Citra

Pellet

Boil

1 min

20 g

Galaxy

Pellet

Aroma

1 min

45 g

Galaxy

Pellet

Dry Hop

0 days

The name comes from a shipwreck off the WA coast called the Duyfken, which allegedly translates to "Little Dove" from Dutch.

Love this beer. One of the best around at the moment in my opinion. Gage Roads have a really nice line up currently.

There doesn't seem to be much details around but from brewers interviews it sounds like there's a few malts, and NZ and Aussie hops used. I would love to make a beer even in the ballpark at home.

I dare say I'm going to commit a fair bit of time getting close.

Latest posts

Back