Gabf - Anyone Going This Year?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Lawrence

Blow me eric8
Reaction score
Howdy

Anyone here going to GABF this year? Im going to the Saturday session.
It would be good to hear from anyone who has been before. Maybe you could give me some tips. The website doesnt really have too much info on the event.

Greg

ed spelling

GABF is awesome

If you are there Friday there are scalpers out the front selling tickets too

Also there are heaps of other beer related things going on in Denver for the whole week

Flying Dog had an all you can drink + eat that I attended - found out about it on facebook - wasn't advertised any where else

Get to the venue early - the line is huge and goes around the venue almost twice

Have ID or they won't let you in

Once inside everything runs really smoothly considering the number of people - there are usually lectures / cooking displays on in the middle

Have a plan of what you wanna sample - because its impossible to try everything

Have fun!

Cheers

Thanks Cortez

Good advise about getting there early. I think that the session is only 4.5 hours, so dont really want to wast good drinking time lined up to get in.

Unfortunatly I wont be able to get there in time for the Friday session.

Is it true that you must get all your beers in a single small sampling glass?

Greg

Don't worry Gregor you will get plenty 'buzzed' having 1 oz samples. Most beers are well and truly over 6% and you'll easily surpass 60 without going for the shortest line.

Tips:
Make sure you eat before you go
Necklaces of pretzels are the norm and good palate cleansers
The shortest toilet line will be outside in the smoking area (portables)
Skip Great Divide, Winkoop, etc as they are in Denver themselves (but have great beers which you definitely should try)
Skip beers you can easily get on tap elsewhere
Costumes abound (if you are into those things)
Denver has a 2 week beer festival, which includes GABF. Street festival towards Coors Field which is fun.

Cheers Ken

Thanks Ken

Some really good tips there.
Probably a great opportunity to stock up on T-shirts as well.

Anyone else attending this year?

Greg

If anyone is thinking about going this year (2013) tickets are on sale on Wednesday 31st EST (USA time). Member sales the day before(many Aussie homebrewers are - Zymurgy subscribers). Tickets have sold out very quickly in the past few years. (ie. within minutes)

So, if you are heading to Denver on the 11-13th October, or could make a detour, then this is definitely a beer lovers event not to be missed.

:icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back