G&g Fresh Worts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We started drinking ours this weekend. I have to say the results are very good for my palate. It is fruity on the nose and palate, and the hop aroma and taste are clean and match the rest of the beer pretty well. It is sort of like an Aussie lager with flavour and without the Pride of Ringwood bitterness.

We used the Kolsch 2565 'cloudy' yeast. We had it in CC for 4 weeks and there was a lot of stuff left in the bottom of the CC container, but it was still cloudy going into the bottle? It did clear up very nicely in the bottle and although it isn't crystal clear there is nothing to be concerned about. Sorry for dragging the thread off topic for a while there...and thanks to all those who helped us out with advice.

We brewed this one so that certain people - who don't fancy weizens, belgians and that other 'euro' stuff - would have something to drink when they came around. If they don't hurry there won't be any left!

We used Saaz 20/20 and even though the original IBUs was 34, it certainly wasn't overhopped. We have another G&G fresh wort in CC now and this time we upped the hops a bit further.

Just to knit-pick a little here. :beerbang:

I dunno about the term "fresh wort". Surely these worts are the least fresh available? Where can you get a less fresh wort? extract doesn't count, cos no one calls it wort extract, it's malt extract or hopped malt extract.

I agree, you are knit-picking ;)

I confess to being a bit of a pig with mine. It's drinking so well it's almost gone now. :lol:

Just an idea for anybody who hasn't added a yeast to theirs yet. I reckon given the grainbill, OG and hopping levels I'd say a nice charismatic Belgian yeast like Wyeast 3522 (Ardennes) would work brilliantly in one of these kits. :beerbang:

Oh for the benefit of hindsight. :rolleyes:

Warren -

Bit of a mongrel mine, made with 20g Hallertau for 10', 20 grams for 1', then 2035 American Lager yeast, so kind of a mix between german and american lager :)
Very nice taste, surprised me to begin with as I'd been favoring Pils lately and had to adjust my tastebuds from saaz to hallertau :), but has grown on me, and I like it very much now. Only a month in bottle so it'll probably still change, looking forward to that :)

At the time I just picked a discounted yeast, it was the american one or a belgian one I'd never heard of (some other poster used it), took the american to give it a go, but I think the belgian would have suited better. Of course that's what I get for being a cheapskate :)

I don't have a brewfridge so I won't be buying it again now (not sure if bastardising it into an ale would be as good), but I recommend it if you can ferment lagers. I'm looking forward to the next fresh wort kit they'll provide.

I guess for G+G I'd suggest to put the lager/pils kits (if they do more, next year?) on sale at around the middle of autumn, that way there will be more people like me able to buy it and ferment it at proper temps without additional equipment.

G&G have a new fresh wort kit called...Grain and Grape Fresh Wort Kit #2. That's a nice name.

Our first brew from the G&G FWK (Fresh Wort Kit) was sucked down in no time. :chug: Our second brew is still in CC and I foresee it suffering the same fate. We used Hallertau 30/30 IIRC and the IBUs were noticeably higher than the first which had Saaz at 20/20. 20/20 seems about right.

The FWK #2 is hopped up a bit over the G&G Fresh Wort Kit #1. I think it comes in at around 45 IBUs at the recommended volume of 23l. We put one on with Pacman yeast on Sunday.

We are trying to make an APA with this one. To up the ante a bit we used 80g Amarillo in a 20min boil and added 80g Cascade at flameout.

We will call this one BMB Bitter and Twisted Ale. :lol: Anyone care to calculate our IBUs on this one for us?

So what are the names of the 2 kits? Kit #1 and Kit #2 or do they have proper names?

Need to wack them up on www.hbkitreviews.com

Cheers!

Finally got to sample one of these fresh wort lager kits a few days ago that me mate fermented with a Whitbreb Ale yeast and dry hopped with fuggles. Turned out pretty bloody good for something that takes little or no effort to produce.

Another vote for the G&G fresh wort kits.

A friend of mine just sent me an email saying how much he is enjoying his first home made beer using one of these kits.
He bypassed anything in cans or kilo and went strait into fresh worts. :beer:
Looking forward to a try in the next couple of weekends if it lasts that long.

Luke

Anyone wanting to up the volume to say 23 - 24 litres, would a little mini mash be out of the question ?

Sort of defeats the purpose, but it would help with quality control.

Bit like adding some home fresh ingrediants, to a corner shop deli hamburger ?

Why am i thinking of food !!! Damn i must be hungry, time for an Ale.

Anyone wanting to up the volume to say 23 - 24 litres, would a little mini mash be out of the question ?

But Paleman, most of the G&G and ESB fresh wort's are designed to have water added to take up to 23Lt.
don't need a mini mash, unless you want to make high alc% beer's

Normell

But Paleman, most of the G&G and ESB fresh wort's are designed to have water added to take up to 23Lt.
don't need a mini mash, unless you want to make high alc% beer's

Normell

No worries Normell, i didnt realise that, thought they were designed to be fermented as they were, for a standard ABV brew. Probably not worth messing with them too much.

Going by the raves, i might give one a go. I need a couple of good brews for summer.

My G&G Fresh Wort kit stayed in secondary for ages while I sorted out my keg delivery.... Now it turns out the kegs never left the U.S., so I had to bottle (with a mish-mash of all sizes of bottles from the shed :unsure: ).

I dry hopped mine with 30g of Cascade for about 10 days in secondary and boy did that fire things up! After three weeks in bottles (around 17 degrees) it's still quite green. (I think it might be time for some time inside to carbonate properly). Those hops have jumped out probably a little briskly considering the weight of the beer (I was aiming for an APA), but should settle to a nice balance soon.

In terms of ease of use....I've never put down a brew so fast. It gives new meaning to the term 'fermentation assistant'. If you're feeling lazy or just in a rush, you can do a lot worse than these 15 minute jobbies.

Has anyone tried the wheat or the high gravity kits yet?

My G&G Fresh Wort kit stayed in secondary for ages while I sorted out my keg delivery.... Now it turns out the kegs never left the U.S., so I had to bottle (with a mish-mash of all sizes of bottles from the shed :unsure: ).

I dry hopped mine with 30g of Cascade for about 10 days in secondary and boy did that fire things up! After three weeks in bottles (around 17 degrees) it's still quite green. (I think it might be time for some time inside to carbonate properly). Those hops have jumped out probably a little briskly considering the weight of the beer (I was aiming for an APA), but should settle to a nice balance soon.

In terms of ease of use....I've never put down a brew so fast. It gives new meaning to the term 'fermentation assistant'. If you're feeling lazy or just in a rush, you can do a lot worse than these 15 minute jobbies.

My #1 kit, to which I added some Amarillo for flavour and aroma stayed in the fermenter for about 2 and a half weeks, and about the same in the bottle before I had to try it. It didn't last very long. I miss it.

Back