G&g Fresh Worts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normell

Winter's Flat's #1 Brewer, now that XXXX have move
Reaction score
From their latest newsletter

Grain & Grape Artisinal Hopped Fresh Wort Kits
We will be releasing our own wort kits soon, made by a great Melbourne Craft brewery. We plan to release just one batch at a time and the first will be a lager. It will be 15 litres at OG1060 with an IBU of 34. This will give plenty of scope for playing around adding malt, flavour & aroma hops & experimenting with yeasts to produce the best Pilsner, Dort, Helles or whatever your imagination can come up with

Can't wait, but I guess I just will have too :blink: .
Have fun in the northern hemisphere Sam

for playing around adding malt, flavour & aroma hops & experimenting with yeasts to produce the best Pilsner, Dort, Helles or whatever your imagination can come up with[/color]

Can't wait, but I guess I just will have too :blink: .
Have fun in the northern hemisphere Sam

Got the same newsletter Normell... Reckon it'd be a brave soul that adds more malt to a 1.060 wort... :blink: Oh hang on! I just remebered what forum I'm on. For some it could be deemed about 66 IBU short on bitterness too. :lol:

Be interested to check 'em out. :)

Warren -

I saw the newsletter. It will be interesting to see what other styles they do

When I was in G&G last week John said they were getting them done by a new micro in Port Melb???

Cheers, Andrew.

first thread I found with "fresh wort kit" search.

I went to Mark's Homebrew in N'castle in May and picked up a NNL wort kit (16 litres). It was an Americian amber ale. I fermented at 19deg with US-56 (SG46 @20L in primary for 2 weeks) then racked for another 2. Settled at 2deg for 3 days.

Kegged 2 days ago and drinking now. This has turned out a nice drop if not a little bitter for my taste.

I do like the end result but was wondering if this is in keeping with the "home brew philosophy". After all, all I did was add water and the 56. It reminds me of the ACME products the Cyote used on the Road Runner.

Am I cheating or not?

daniel

just depends on what you want to get out of the experience. if you just want to drink nice tasting beer for a fairly cheap price, then you are set. But you are not really "brewing" beer. you are just fermenting wort into beer and kegging it. you have a limited ability to craft the beer to your liking. all you can do is change the yeast and change the fermentation temp. although you could start adding hops and specialty grains etc. I say go for it and enjoy the easy beer mate :)

just depends on what you want to get out of the experience. if you just want to drink nice tasting beer for a fairly cheap price, then you are set. But you are not really "brewing" beer. you are just fermenting wort into beer and kegging it. you have a limited ability to craft the beer to your liking. all you can do is change the yeast and change the fermentation temp. although you could start adding hops and specialty grains etc. I say go for it and enjoy the easy beer mate :)
So how is Kit & Kilo any different, you are still just "fermenting".
"Brewing beer" is all grain brewing, and anything less is only fermenting.
I K&Ked for years, with additional malts & hops, & never made a constantly good beer two times in a row, no matter how strictly I followed a recipe.
At least with fresh wort brews I can make many same brews

We have been selling the NNL Fresh wort kits for a couple of months now.

We have had more enquiries from customers about AG brewing since they have been trying the wort kits than ever before.

I dont care if they are cheating, people are making cracking good beer; AG beer they taste the difference and it opening a few eyes.

There are at least 3 Fresh wort makers now, bring them on I say, best add for AG going.

MHB

So how is Kit & Kilo any different, you are still just "fermenting".

I didn't say it was any different.

"Brewing beer" is all grain brewing, and anything less is only fermenting.

Couldn't agree more! and it's much more rewarding.

I dont care if they are cheating, people are making cracking good beer; AG beer they taste the difference and it opening a few eyes.

Tony at brewers choice chapel Hill is very keen on them. they stock the ESB range. The thing that I like about them is the reusable container. but the esb ones are only 15L. a 15 litre container isn't much good. if they were 20L it would be worth the ~$30 just for the container.

I picked up a G&G fresh wort today, and had a good chat with John to get the low-down.
* 17L (17.5 Ltrs, less 0.5Ltrs cold break).
* OG ~ 1.062
* IBU = 34 (a clean High AA hop with low cohumulone)
* Pilsener + Vienna malt.

So even when topped up to 23Ltrs, you're still looking at roughly 1.045 OG, at around 26-28 IBU.
I've also given the ESB fresh wort (pilsener) a go, which turned out much better than the average k&k, though a little on the light side when topped up to 20Ltrs (15ltrs at OG 1.050).

Now to me, the G&G wort seems better value at $36 with no yeast.
I guess we'll have to see how they turn out for people.

I have to agree that it's not really "brewing" beer (as an AG brewer), however with child numero uno on the way :( , I'm looking into the simplest options available for now that will still turn out AG quality beers. Hopefully one day I will be able to once again devote half a weekend to brewing...

Hutch.

Hutch.

Brew now while you can.

Children chew up precious brewing time.

There will no longer be leisurely AG weekends. I am a reluctant reverter to extract and kits... :(

As a parent, I concur with above, forget having 4 hours free on a week-end to do a partial (check grumpy's forum, there is a nice thread with pictures of a partial, I'm a kit brewer and I am tempted :)), let's not even think of a full AG. At best you'll be lucky to have 2 hours at night to do an extract recipe. And honestly, you'll be so buggered at the end of the day that a fresh wort will seem a godsend :) Maybe when they turn 15 or so and start to like beer? :)

So if G+G's wort kit are better than the ESBs, they'll definitely get my cash. They've added a page on their website to explain how you could use the wort kit as well, nicely done.
http://grainandgrape.com.au/articles_other/wortkits01.htm

I thought they were their own worts, are they just reselling them for a local brewery?

The more fresh wort kits the better, I say

edit: just read that without yeast they cost $36, just $1 more than the ESB, definite bargain :)

I have to agree that it's not really "brewing" beer (as an AG brewer), however with child numero uno on the way :( , I'm looking into the simplest options available for now that will still turn out AG quality beers. Hopefully one day I will be able to once again devote half a weekend to brewing...

Hutch.

Hutch.

Brew now while you can.

Children chew up precious brewing time.

There will no longer be leisurely AG weekends. I am a reluctant reverter to extract and kits...

As a parent, I concur with above, forget having 4 hours free on a week-end to do a partial (check grumpy's forum, there is a nice thread with pictures of a partial, I'm a kit brewer and I am tempted :)), let's not even think of a full AG. At best you'll be lucky to have 2 hours at night to do an extract recipe. And honestly, you'll be so buggered at the end of the day that a fresh wort will seem a godsend :) Maybe when they turn 15 or so and start to like beer?

Come on guys. Having kids is great. But don't think you will have no time left for other things. Especially when they are brand new. They don't do a whole lot other than feed and sleep. Be organised and plan your brewday around these sleep periods and you can have the best of both worlds. I hadn't long been AG when we had our first child. Now we have two and I'm still AG. Organisation and planning.

Doc

Cheers for the optimism Doc :beer:
Thankfully SWMBO is very supportive of this brewing caper, and has been known to indulge in one or two (prior to the bump mind you ;)) I guess it comes down to good time management, planning, and of course a little moderation.

In the meantime, we'll see how this fresh wort turns out - will be great to hear how others go with it too.

Hutch.

I K&Ked for years, with additional malts & hops, & never made a constantly good beer two times in a row, no matter how strictly I followed a recipe.
At least with fresh wort brews I can make many same brews

I make the same beer for my mates based on kits every time, never know he diff I swear....no kilo tho :D

Come on guys. Having kids is great. But don't think you will have no time left for other things. Especially when they are brand new. They don't do a whole lot other than feed and sleep. Be organised and plan your brewday around these sleep periods and you can have the best of both worlds. I hadn't long been AG when we had our first child. Now we have two and I'm still AG. Organisation and planning.

Doc, it's all fine when they sleep non-stop...a 9yo on the other hand will eat up your entire day (lets see, mine races BMX, dirt jumps BMX, street rides BMX, freestyles BMX and plays stupid-arse footy...very little time left after all that :super: ).

All that aside, AG sounds the goods, I'm just a lazy, lazy man with far too much other schtuff to deal with :D

PZ.

With a kid I haven't been able to brew AG as often but still manage to do so regularly. On the plus side, I put forward the case that with a kid crawling around it wouldn't do to have dirty bottles around, resulting in a keg system :)

I brewed up one of these quite a while back and found it to be quite a good substitute when I couldn't manage to find the time to do an AG.

At last a kit that actually tells you all the information I was always wanting to know.

OG, IBU, What malts, What hops.

Now youve got some serious basis to change it from there.

BK

I brewed up one of these quite a while back and found it to be quite a good substitute when I couldn't manage to find the time to do an AG.
i doubt it was one of the GNG ones if it was "quite a while back" since they've only just begun selling them. perhaps you mean the ESB ones?

Back