G&g Fresh Worts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the third rug rat that seems to tip you over the edge. Looking back on it, two actually seem easy. Three boys, 6y, 3y and 21 months - with no other speeds than full on or asleep.

It's a terrible thing to admit but I resorted to a 2 can brew last night in a desperate bid to build some stock........

Look on the bright side Plastic Man, in about 10-15yrs time, you'll have 3 vibrant healthy and strong helpers to do all the heavy lifting during brew day once/if your back and knees go :p

It's the third rug rat that seems to tip you over the edge. Looking back on it, two actually seem easy. Three boys, 6y, 3y and 21 months - with no other speeds than full on or asleep.

It's a terrible thing to admit but I resorted to a 2 can brew last night in a desperate bid to build some stock........

I had a similar situation when rebuilding my current AG set up and resorted to the 2 can recipe. I only made it through 1/3 of the keg before tipping it down the sink.

:blink: Shoulda gone the fresh wort kit.

I used two cans of the Coopers Canadian Blonde. I did the same last year during a similar drought, and was very pleasantly surprised, (almost shocked). This time I added some DME, dextrose and corn syrup to give it a bit more oomph - plus used recultured yeast from a coopers long neck. The canadian blonde is light in colour and relatively lightly hopped - so doubling up gives a nice amber ale with a good level of bitterness - though balanced pretty well. Will be interesting to see how this one goes.

Though an ESB kit is the way to go to build up some stock quick and easy. Might throw one on top once this one finishes.

Fresh worts have got to be the easiest way to get a decent beer, because all the work has been done for you. I was spewing the other day at a tasting with friends, when my mates fresh wart effort won the judges over..... I still argue that it is not really his own beer.

What is the point of putting in the effort to sanitise and bottle something straight from the brewery, when you can just go and buy the equivalent ready to drink. ie ESB by St peters brewery's Green Star Lager/Premium Blonde.

Are fresh wart enthusiasts the "posers" of the home brewing world?

;)

images_13_.jpg

Was it Chiller who coined the phase "fermentation assistant" ...

But - if your time starved and your goal is good, cheap beer - then they aren't a bad invention.

I don't see the difference credit-wise between a fresh wort kit and a dump and stir.

It's simple. Buy the things for premium quality beer at a good price. You're getting the equivalent of around 2 dozen longnecks for $40. Nothing wrong with that value.

That's why I grabbed one the other day. Just waiting for my yeast to fire up and I'll give it a whirl. With the hectic schedule I've got in the next 6 weeks and no real time to brew the concept romps on a Kit and Kilo any day. :beerbang:

Horses for courses. :)

Warren -

Hutch.

Brew now while you can.

Children chew up precious brewing time.

There will no longer be leisurely AG weekends. I am a reluctant reverter to extract and kits... :(

Totally disagree with this.

Had our third, THEN I purchased my Coopers kit. Had 3 kids under 4 at that stage. Made a few K+K's then onto partials and then on to AG.

Sure, you are a lot busier but if you organise you day properly everything gets done.

cheers
johnno

And you can always brew in the evening when the rugrats are in bed out of harms way.

Cheers
Big D

Thats the way I do it big d. 3 kids go to bed at 8, mash in at 8.30,
in bed by 2.00am. Nice quiet house with only me and my beer. :rolleyes:

just to add a little bit more to the fresh wort knowledge base, he got one of the ESB ones and it only came to 14 litres in the fermenter.

have to add my 2 cents to this. we shouldn't give up what we love doing (within reason) when little ones start arriving. some sort of sense of normality is essential during those early weeks/months. Just have to plan MUCH more than before. i organise with the missus some downtime when needed, and she does the same.

cheers :)

Picking the right missus is as essential to beer production as picking the right yeast and hops........

mbd1979 - she got any single sisters ????

What is the point of putting in the effort to sanitise and bottle something straight from the brewery, when you can just go and buy the equivalent ready to drink. ie ESB by St peters brewery's Green Star Lager/Premium Blonde.

;)

...true for bottling maybe, but how else can you fill a keg with premium beer, for $40, from only an hour's work?

I don't plan to claim any undue credit for how this brew turns out, nor enter it in any competitions - I'm just gonna enjoy drinking it (hopefully)!

Cheers,
Hutch.

Hutch.

Brew now while you can.

Children chew up precious brewing time.

There will no longer be leisurely AG weekends. I am a reluctant reverter to extract and kits... :(

Totally disagree with this.

Had our third, THEN I purchased my Coopers kit. Had 3 kids under 4 at that stage. Made a few K+K's then onto partials and then on to AG.

Sure, you are a lot busier but if you organise you day properly everything gets done.

cheers
johnno

Yep I all but had kids when I started AG brewing.

And you can always brew in the evening when the rugrats are in bed out of harms way.

Cheers
Big D

I'm a mash in at 6am type. Go the other end of the day.

Thats the way I do it big d. 3 kids go to bed at 8, mash in at 8.30,
in bed by 2.00am. Nice quiet house with only me and my beer. :rolleyes:

have to add my 2 cents to this. we shouldn't give up what we love doing (within reason) when little ones start arriving. some sort of sense of normality is essential during those early weeks/months. Just have to plan MUCH more than before. i organise with the missus some downtime when needed, and she does the same.

cheers :)

Indeed. All part of the organisation.

FWIW,

I mash in at 6am. Kids up at 7:30am for breaky and the start of the sparge.
Sparge all finished by 9am.
Off to swimming lessons.
Home for the boil and to play with play doh, dominos, any other game of the moment whilst having an assistant to help hop the beer.
Lunch for the kids while the brew is transferring to fermenters.
All cleaned up early arvo.

Organised.

Doc

just to add to the reasons why wort kits are good:
- closest to AG you'll get if you don't have the space/time to do AG. Plus you can still do some amount of tweaking (hop tea, steeping).
- better taste-wise than K+K
- not much more expensive: so far I've done a fair few grumpies, which were mostly all excellent, but nowadays, an ESB or G+G fresh wort purchased locally is cheaper than masterbrew + extract + lager yeast + postage. Might still use grumpies for ales :)
- And G+G's high IBU and OG allow you to really make 23 liters, an extra 3 liters compared to the ESB :)
- you support a local brewery

Latest posts

Back