G&g Fresh Worts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a Grain and Grape Fresh Wort kit on the go now.

Has to be the easiest brew I've ever done. Even easier than a K&K IMO.

With mine I made a 3 litre starter with 500g of DME and steeped 15g of Hallertau pellets. Yeast I've used is Wyeast 2002 Gambrinus. Sat the starter and wort together in the fridge and pitched both at 9 degrees.

With an OG of 1.060 I've pretty much tried to keep the integrity of the kit. I suppose if I had to loosely term a style for it I'd say a Dortmunder would be closest.

Great way to get some quality beer with time constraints. I'll post my findings in about 6 weeks. :)

Warren -

Started mine tonight:
21.5 liters, 20g Hallertau for 10', 20g Hallertau for 1', wyeast 2035 american lager, OG 1046 (or thereabouts), I expect it'll be a mix between american and european lager :)

I went the Hallertau way as I already have done 3 saaz-flavoured beer this winter, time to change a bit :)

Mine's been down just over a week now. Agree completely with Warren - easier than k&k.
2 plugs Hallertau for 10mins, and 2 at flame-out.
Cooled, then strained wort through hop-bed into fermenter, topped up to 22 Ltrs.
OG = 1.045.
Wyeast 2112 California Lager, 14 - 16 deg.
Will probably go secondary for a week, diacetyl rest, lager for 2 months (if I can wait that long), filter and keg.

1 week down, smell's/tastes as good as any AG brew I've done so far - absolutely no comparison to K&K!
If this turns out as I hope, I might not want to go back to AG ;)

Hutch.

We've got the G&G fresh wort on the go as well.

We love fresh wort kits, just so easy and they give good results for little work. We don't claim to be brewers, 'fermentation assistant' (whoever coined that phrase) sounds about right, although 'fermentation technician' sounds better!

Of the 8 brews we have done, four have been using fresh wort kits. So this will be the 5th fresh wort brew out of 9, when it is finished.

We did two ESB Summer Wheat fresh worts (both good), one ESB Stout fresh wort (v-e-r-y good) and we tried to make a dunkelweizen out of another ESB Summer Wheat (jury is out on that one).

We will get around to AG sooner or later, for creative freedom, once we know what kind of beers we want to make. But for now the fresh wort kits give us good beer in the fridge with little effort.

Actually, I'd love some advice on clarifying our G&G fresh wort ferment.

This is the first ferment we have done that is really cloudy, and for presentation's sake we would like it to end up clear.

20/20 Saas hops were added, and the yeast is a liquid Wyeast hybrid ale/lager type (I don't have the number handy) that works around 14C (which is ambient in Melb at the moment) but apparently has lowish flocculation. Maybe that explains the degree of cloudiness?

We can rack to secondary and keep it in the fridge for two or three weeks, is that what we should do to clarify it?

Thanks in advance for any help

BlueJ

BlueJ, try dropping the temp to around 2-3C or so, that should help drop out suspended yeast.

Actually, I'd love some advice on clarifying our G&G fresh wort ferment.

This is the first ferment we have done that is really cloudy, and for presentation's sake we would like it to end up clear.

20/20 Saas hops were added, and the yeast is a liquid Wyeast hybrid ale/lager type (I don't have the number handy) that works around 14C (which is ambient in Melb at the moment) but apparently has lowish flocculation. Maybe that explains the degree of cloudiness?

We can rack to secondary and keep it in the fridge for two or three weeks, is that what we should do to clarify it?

Thanks in advance for any help

BlueJ

Blue J

Sounds like you may be using the Kolsch or Alt yeast. (Wyeast 1007 or 2565). Both of these strains will remain cloudy for some time while they finish the job so you've probably answered your own question.

Should clear up after 4 weeks cold conditioning. ;)

Warren -

Thanks Warren

We are using the Kolsch 2565, so the cloudiness is normal?

Can we get away with a short racking to secondary @ ambient (~14C), followed by bottling, carbonation and then storage in the fridge at 4C for a few weeks?

I am happy to cold condition... but we would have to move some beer out of the fridge to make room for the conditioning, or buy another fridge (not a bad idea, that).

BJ

Yep, the Kolsch yeast is always fairly dusty.

I'd probably CC in the secondary for 2-4 weeks. Otherwise you'll probably get more sediment than you want in the bottles. :unsure:

Warren -

Thanks Warren, you are a champ.

Off to buy yet another fridge then...we will need it for brewing lagers in summer anyway, may as well buy one now.

I got a friend of mine who is a brewing newby onto one of the G+G kits on the weekend. We both found it very funny that they chose to call it something that sounded as, "artist anal". :p

Thanks Warren

We are using the Kolsch 2565, so the cloudiness is normal?

Can we get away with a short racking to secondary @ ambient (~14C), followed by bottling, carbonation and then storage in the fridge at 4C for a few weeks?

I am happy to cold condition... but we would have to move some beer out of the fridge to make room for the conditioning, or buy another fridge (not a bad idea, that).
yep some with Kolsch yeast some cloudiness is normal

Just to knit-pick a little here. :beerbang:

I dunno about the term "fresh wort". Surely these worts are the least fresh available? Where can you get a less fresh wort? extract doesn't count, cos no one calls it wort extract, it's malt extract or hopped malt extract.

Coodgee...
They have been in the shop that long...............
PJ

NOT G&G...Sorry

Just to get this thread back on track. I'm drinking my G&G FW kit now. After making it up to it's original gravity (1.060) it's drinking really nicely. :)

Just a tad underhopped in terms of bitterness but no real worry. Very much like a mild Hellesbock if that makes any sense. Superb maltiness and a nice creamy head too.

I'd certainly use them in a pinch if I didn't have time to brew. :chug:

Anybody else drinking one ATM?

Warren -

Just to get this thread back on track. I'm drinking my G&G FW kit now. After making it up to it's original gravity (1.060) it's drinking really nicely. :)

Just a tad underhopped in terms of bitterness but no real worry. Very much like a mild Hellesbock if that makes any sense. Superb maltiness and a nice creamy head too.

I'd certainly use them in a pinch if I didn't have time to brew. :chug:

Anybody else drinking one ATM?

Warren -
I'd agree with Warren. Had this one on tap during grand final day for the masses. A nice alround easy to make lager. I had intended to dilute it to about 1.050 and do some late addition saaz but never got around to it.

My own opinion - the freshest and nicest wort kit I've tried.

cheers, Arnie

I haven't tried mine yet - it's only been in the fermenter for four days...

I had plans to do some extra hopping, but ran out of time and just stuffed it into the fermenter (topped up to 23 ltrs - 1.048) and used a Wyeast American Ale yeast (1056).

It's been bubbling along nicely at around 21C for those four days. I might consider using those Amarillo I purchased as a dry hop in secondary but not certain yet.

I'll post back when the tasting is due. Certainly the easiest brew I've ever put down. Gives new meaning to the term 'fermentation assistant'...

Latest posts

Back