Funny Smell During Ferment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2much2spend

Reaction score
Just did my first allgrain and its fermentn like crazy but I'm getting a faint fishy smell the hop
Aroma is super strong. Just wondering will this transfer to the finish beer? I was super clean
too. The hops I used were centennial cascade and citra some of the whirlpool made it to the fermenter is this a problem ?

Just did my first allgrain and its fermentn like crazy but I'm getting a faint fishy smell the hop
Aroma is super strong. Just wondering will this transfer to the finish beer? I was super clean
too. The hops I used were centennial cascade and citra some of the whirlpool made it to the fermenter is this a problem ?

Is it a lager by any chance? 'cause I when I ferment mine I always get a meaty/fishy smell I can't usually describe properly. It is quite normal:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter10.html

M

when you checked the fermenter, was there any ladies standing around too close?

Is it a lager by any chance? 'cause I when I ferment mine I always get a meaty/fishy smell I can't usually describe properly. It is quite normal:

Dont know about meaty fishy smell being normal. Not 100% sure it's not, but i've never heard of that before. Eggy/Sulphury is most definitely normal if doing a lager with certain yeasts, but egg/sulphur smells seem (to me) not related to fishy smells, so i doubt it's that.

Meat or fishy smells in a beer has me confused.

its an APA with wyeast 1056, it a faint fishy smell kind of like a beach
full of seaweed. i hope it normal. i keep reading about hot aeration not
sore how bad it can infect my brew?
i hope its normal
havent tasted yet

its an APA with wyeast 1056, it a faint fishy smell kind of like a beach
full of seaweed. i hope it normal. i keep reading about hot aeration not
sore how bad it can infect my brew?
i hope its normal
havent tasted yet

The only thing I can think of that it may be is autolyzed (sp) yeast, but i would think it is remote to impossible given the early stage of fermentation.

Did you make a starter, and did it smell / taste as expected prior to pitching?

I can't imagine hot-side aeration having anything to do with this, so I would dismiss this from the list.

May pay to get another brewer round to have an inspection, but I suspect that all is Ok and that you are worrying far too much.

I recommend making some more beer regardless.

Ignore all the smells you get during fermentation. Wait until it's finished, conditioned, carbonated and served at the appropriate temperature. If then you still find something offensive about it, then you have a decision to make... ditch it or keep it.

Not worth worrying about till then.

Ignore all the smells you get during fermentation. Wait until it's finished, conditioned, carbonated and served at the appropriate temperature. If then you still find something offensive about it, then you have a decision to make... ditch it or keep it.

Not worth worrying about till then.

Such good advice.
My first BIAB attempt smelt and tasted like cider/vinegar after fermentation had finished. Was gonna drain pour it but decided to bottle.
Tasted after 2 weeks+ and it tastes as I think as it should. Embryo beer no yet fully developed and with none of the original offensive smells.
It aint gonna be an award winning sipper but it'll only get better from here.

All my all grain beers (except the lagers) smell of fruity gas. No fish or meat. Even the Kolsch smelled ok a little egg'y but more just gasy fruity. The Lagers didn't smell bad to me but maybe others might think so.

I did a lager with 34/70 that smelt like off dairy during ferment, tastes great and doesn't have that smell at all now.

Thanks for the tips, I'm just abit paranoid cause my cooper extracts never worked out like I wanted
I'll keep you guys posted . Need to get more brews under my gut ' I mean belt ' any sugestion I like US ales

Back