Fruit Purees

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6tri6ple6

Reaction score
hey all,

Im thinking about doing a couple of fruit beers and ive been looking in Brewing Classic Styles at a couple of the recipes. They mention fruit puree in the recipes, does anyone know where i would be able to get some different flavours? I cant seem to find it anywhere. Maybe im looking in the wrong spots. Would frozen fruit be ok as an alternative? Or even fresh?

Cheers

Richard

hey all,

Im thinking about doing a couple of fruit beers and ive been looking in Brewing Classic Styles at a couple of the recipes. They mention fruit puree in the recipes, does anyone know where i would be able to get some different flavours? I cant seem to find it anywhere. Maybe im looking in the wrong spots. Would frozen fruit be ok as an alternative? Or even fresh?

Cheers

Richard

Bump. Anyone?

Buy fruit.

Puree it.

Add to beer.

Frozen fruit would do just fine.

Read the wiki article on adding fruit to beers.

Yeah, I agree with Manticle. I tend to use the frozen because it's easy to turn into mush and it's reasonably cheap- in fact, the price of frozen fruit is down and staying down at Coles.

Cheers guys, read the Article and will look into using frozen fruit when I get around to making a fruit beer. Still interested to know if anyone knows where to buy tinned pure too.
Cheers

Cheers guys, read the Article and will look into using frozen fruit when I get around to making a fruit beer. Still interested to know if anyone knows where to buy tinned pure too.
Cheers

Bulk buy tinned baby food, it's all pured for you.

I got 13kg of frozen bananas you could have if you were in the coffs harbour area...

Buy fruit.

Puree it.

Add to beer.

Frozen fruit would do just fine.

Read the wiki article on adding fruit to beers.
If you have nice fresh fruit there is no need or reason to puree it, just add it to your beer and it will go all mushy anyway.
If you want to process way in an attempt to remove any wild bacteria, yeast or other bugs that's a different story.

But frozen fruit works fine, is often more convenient and is available all though the year.

miss this one did we
I did see that one but I'm after fruit pure (actual fruit) not fruit flavoring.

If you have nice fresh fruit there is no need or reason to puree it, just add it to your beer and it will go all mushy anyway.
If you want to process way in an attempt to remove any wild bacteria, yeast or other bugs that's a different story.

But frozen fruit works fine, is often more convenient and is available all though the year.

Cheers mate.

I was reading the article on here about using fruit In beer and it said to put the fruit in 80c water for 1 min to sanitize, is this necessary with frozen fruit, or is it already sanitary?

Indian shops have puree of mango in tins. Very hard to use though as the fibres/pulp never drop clear. I made a mango wine a couple of years ago which was OK but couldnt clear it up. Too fine to filter etc.

I was reading the article on here about using fruit In beer and it said to put the fruit in 80c water for 1 min to sanitize, is this necessary with frozen fruit, or is it already sanitary?
Personally I don't worry with frozen fruit.
I just defrost it with a little boiling water, or sometimes the microwave, which probably largely does the same thing, and put it straight in.

With regards to the original question I think the US has a wider variety of fruit purees available, certainly I've read a lot of recipes/posts discussing them, which is probably why Brewing Classic Styles talks about them. But given they are just pureed fruit you could skip that step and get fresh fruit as many have suggested...

It won't be 'sanitary' however - if you are adding it to an active ferment - the large amount of healthy yeast could/should/may out-compete the small amount of unwanted bugs that may be added with the fruit.

Back