Fruit Flies In Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelbygreen

Crazy Clown
Reaction score
Hey,

I came back from work (10 days on) to find the fruit flies have got into the fridge and into the fermenter (well about 4-5 in the wort) and a few hanging aroung the out side. Now I CC it as soon as I could and it does smell tiny bit weird but the dry hops have been sitting in there for 11days so that is expected. I mean its no different to what I would expect. taste wise is fine again a little different from the dry hopping which I have had before. No funky stuff ontop just few floating flies and tastes fine smells fine and all seems good. Its in the keg now and I am off tomorrow for another 10 days.

I am not worried about this beer infact I am drinking it now, I am more looking for a way to stop them getting in and ATM I dont have time to stuff around with lids and all. I am thinking just leave my jar of dregs from pouring first bit out keg as they seem to flock around that if you leave it laying around for 10 mins or so. I am hoping they go for the easy option and go straight to the open rancid (by the time I get home) beer in the jug and not try get threw the seal off the door and struggle there way past the glad wrap lol.

Any other ideas?

Hey,

I came back from work (10 days on) to find the fruit flies have got into the fridge and into the fermenter (well about 4-5 in the wort) and a few hanging aroung the out side. Now I CC it as soon as I could and it does smell tiny bit weird but the dry hops have been sitting in there for 11days so that is expected. I mean its no different to what I would expect. taste wise is fine again a little different from the dry hopping which I have had before. No funky stuff ontop just few floating flies and tastes fine smells fine and all seems good. Its in the keg now and I am off tomorrow for another 10 days.

I am not worried about this beer infact I am drinking it now, I am more looking for a way to stop them getting in and ATM I dont have time to stuff around with lids and all. I am thinking just leave my jar of dregs from pouring first bit out keg as they seem to flock around that if you leave it laying around for 10 mins or so. I am hoping they go for the easy option and go straight to the open rancid (by the time I get home) beer in the jug and not try get threw the seal off the door and struggle there way past the glad wrap lol.

Any other ideas?

Put Glad Wrap over the top of the fermenter and secure with something elastic/tight. I wouldnt worry about a few fruit flies. Extra protein for you.....and you wouldnt believe whats crawled over the fruit and veg from the local supermarket, plus the 'visits' in the grain :)

yeah I dont mind about that but they can carry stuff and makes it turn to vinegar dont they? cant think of the name acto something haha. I have milled and brewed with grain with weevils in no prob I just dont like stuff post boil

They aren't fruit flies, they are known as vinegar bugs (search for them here, you'll find some info on the species if you are interested). They are attracted to mouldy & fermenting things like rotten fruit. They carry acetobacter and if you get them in your fermenter there is an excellent chance of infection. I've lost a couple of yeast starters and a full batch of beer over the years to the little bastards. Gladwrap over the fermenter is a good idea - an even better idea is getting your fridge to seal so they don't get there in the first place.

when they get out for a piss squash em :blink: ....cheers...spog.....
Hey,

Any other ideas?

if your concerned about insects arounf your fermenting area, grab one of those automatic insect sprays that disperses every now and then. That should keep them away.
rsz_pestrol_ultra%20outdoor.jpeg

haha yeah didnt help that I told misses to turn off the fermenting fridge (being heated) and leave on the chest freezer. So get hom freezer is off and fridge is on so a nice warm spot for them.

There was glad wrap over it the fridge seals well but as the heat pad cord goes threw the seal they can get in there, I decide to do lagers now over winter less chance to get in also dont have to heat it.

haha yeah didnt help that I told misses to turn off the fermenting fridge (being heated) and leave on the chest freezer. So get hom freezer is off and fridge is on so a nice warm spot for them.

There was glad wrap over it the fridge seals well but as the heat pad cord goes threw the seal they can get in there, I decide to do lagers now over winter less chance to get in also dont have to heat it.

Aha I was wondering how they got past the fridge seal... cord explains that, but the gladwrap! how did they manage that?

I have started to see the little blighters up in my tumbleweed compost bin since I chucked some spent grain in there :p ... since then I just chuck it out on the ground somewhere & for some reason they dont appear around the stuff on the ground.

Have a read of the "Management" paragraph in the link below.

Although the document refers to the US the facts are still the same.

If you have a light source as heating for your fermenter then you need to block off any entry points to your brew fridge/cupboard.

Those timed space spray wall fittings generally emit Piperonyl Butoxide.
Google that product and then tell us if you would like to use it in and around your home and family. - Yes I know, it is what a lot of people have in their homes.

A better form of management apart from the obvious of removing their breeding ground and material is to use a mild surface spray for insects on the exterior of your brew cupboard/fridge.

http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/pdf/vinegar-flies

Cheers

Or cut a gap in the seal just big enough to pass the power cord. Bit of silicon will keep power cord in place, bit more silicon or similar to close the gap in the seal.

if your concerned about insects arounf your fermenting area, grab one of those automatic insect sprays that disperses every now and then. That should keep them away.
rsz_pestrol_ultra%20outdoor.jpeg

:icon_offtopic: I would NEVER use such a product anywhere in my home. To have this machine constantly, around the clock expelling possible poisons, carcinogens an mutagens into the air for yourself, your family and pets to breathe in and be in contact with is ludicrous. Certainly think about finding alternative methods of controlling insects, which most of the time can be done by a swift whack with a fly swat.

Latest posts

Back