Frozen Glasses

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hot water only here for glass washing. Dad and I found out that with out glasses, even using a teatowel that had been used to dry something which had been washed in soapy water would destroy the head. So no soaps here.

As for a cold glass, it creates good head because the condensation and then crystalisation of water from the air when it comes into contact with the cold glass forms frost. This 'frost' creates millions of nucleation sites for bubbles - places for them to form. Thus, a good head is obtained. It is probably retained due to the fact that the carbonation level of the beer will remain fairly high because of its cold temperature in the glass.

Cheers - boingk

Also I love the way they nickname their suburbs and use the nick as the official name: East Vic Park, Freo, Osby Park etc.

Is Mandurah actually regarded by the locals as part of Perth or is it like the Gold Coast is to Bris and Wollongong is to Sydney?

We usually give them Swan Taxis but are there other taxi companies we should be aware of as well?

And what's the difference between Hans Cafes and Dome? :p

< / :icon_offtopic: >

I go with a rinsed chilled glass from the freezer, mainly to stop everyone else putting their cordial in my beer glasses (too high for the kids to get)

BribieG, Mandurah is more like the WA version of Miami where the oldies go to retire.

We do have other taxi companies, try the Yellow pages :icon_cheers:

Hans is fusion style asian food, Dome sells coffee.... easy.

I go with a rinsed chilled glass from the freezer, mainly to stop everyone else putting their cordial in my beer glasses (too high for the kids to get)

BribieG, Mandurah is more like the WA version of Miami where the oldies go to retire.

We do have other taxi companies, try the Yellow pages :icon_cheers:

Hans is fusion style asian food, Dome sells coffee.... easy.

Probably the same distance as Wollongong and Sydney, except Wollongong is alot nicer. Mandurah has it's own real estate section a sea of houses. It's just got its own rail way station alot of people commute from Mandurah to Perth each day. Im personally not a fan of Mandurah way to busy and the last place I would retire! Or holiday.

Dome is like the mega swill of coffee (South Australian company) and Hans like the mega swill of asian food but a very successful business first opened up by a Khmer man who is now quite well off.... there a little hit and miss but very well priced. The Chilli fish is yummy if you go to the right franchise. We lack good asian eaterys over here except for the Northbridge strip which serves up good Vietnamese... We need more good Thai resturants over here. And no more Italian PLEASE!

They also pronounce beer bEAR (not as in cuddly bear)...

+1, Puddles are annoying!

:icon_offtopic: But, has anyone noticed, that say for example you have a red drink, in a cold glass, how the fu*k does the 'puddle' end up red too????? I can never figure it out, its like the colour leeches through the glass? :unsure:

I keep my glasses in the cupboard but will often put one in the fridge an hour or so before I'm going to use one. Never put them in the freezer, my Dad used to keep him pewter beer stein the in the Freezer though.

I hand wash my beer glasses in hot water with detergent and rinse really well a couple of times before the drip dry, never had any problems with head retention.

Stu

I have half a dozen glasses for brew consumption, to keep em cold i put them in the freezer.
Only 6? They'd better be big glasses. :icon_cheers:

edit: insert picture
bigbeer.jpg

still causes a bit of an issue with a bit more head than a room temp glass but i love beer from a cool glass, nothin nicer in summer.

I always thought room temp glasses gave more head (at least initially) due to them being warmer than the beer and forcing co2 out of the beer?

With regards to wet glasses, does anyone know what affect the actual wetness has, not the temperature?

Bit like Bribie Island :ph34r:

Yup we recently got a Gloria Jeans and a new Noodle hut type place, not to mention a Butter chicken / Lamb Madras Indian joint so I'd probably be right at home in Mandurah :icon_cheers:

:icon_offtopic: But, has anyone noticed, that say for example you have a red drink, in a cold glass, how the fu*k does the 'puddle' end up red too????? I can never figure it out, its like the colour leeches through the glass? :unsure:

:icon_offtopic: Reviled, you must be drizzling gozzle down the outside of the glass while your drinking. :icon_drunk:

With regards to wet glasses, does anyone know what affect the actual wetness has, not the temperature?

It's supposed to reduce the head.

I freeze my glasses, to stop the huge head I dribble the beer into a 45deg inclined glass - very slowly for the first 10 seconds or so, this seems to thaw that part of the glass and stop the huge head forming from the nucleation sites.

I want one of those plastic slushy maker things from the 90's to sit my glass in (with the frozen plastic insert) - not to contact it, just to sit the glass in to have cold air around the glass while drinking. Personally I like my beer to have ice crystals in the top cm or so.

A few weeks ago I tried chilling some beers using dry ice which was quick 1.5 minutes, but as soon as beer froze to the inside of the bottle bubbles formed like crazy, using liquid nitrogen is even worse! Mini volcano within 20 seconds. and massive instant volcano when liquid nitrogen is poured into the beer itsself!

It's supposed to reduce the head.

I freeze my glasses, to stop the huge head I dribble the beer into a 45deg inclined glass - very slowly for the first 10 seconds or so, this seems to that that part of the glass and stop the huge head forming.

I want one of those plastic slushy maker things from the 90's to sit my glass in (with the frozen plastic insert) - not to contact it, just to sit the glass in to have cold air around the glass while drinking. Personally I like my beer to have ice crystals in the top cm or so.

You can still get them... Decor make them... Saw them in Big W only a week ago around $14.00.

MMMM beer slushy... wierdly I just gave one of my chilli beers to a chilli freak out work. Who put the bottle in the freezer. When he tried it he said this is not a chilli beer. I had a smell of it and knew for sure it was but he had frozen the bottle just a little so he was having beer slushys. I could taste the chilli but not as hot as it usually is. Do you think the over cold beer could hide the chilli? :icon_cheers:

I'm a die-hard keep all glasses in the freezer guy, regardless of the beer going in to them. It's QLD, so they'll be at ambient temperature in no time anyhow! If a beer style is traditionally served warmer, just sit outside and wait a few minutes to enjoy the full flavour B)

I usually rely on room temperature glasses and cool beer.

The only time I go freezing them is if I have mega-swill consuming mates coming over.

I accidentally over-chilled some beer in the freezer (excess from the fermenter) yesterday. Beer slushy indeed! The icy bits at the top had most of the hops taste, somehow. Not an ideal way to drink overs, but accidents happen. :)

Cheers - Fermented.

I would have to say its from the residue your lips leave behind and it mixes with the condensation. But this has made me think of a question I ask my wife each month, We buy whole rumps or whole rib fillet. Wife brings it home puts it in the fridge waiting for me to get home to divide the cuts for the freezer and every time blood comes through the 1st plastic bag then through the Plastic butchers blue carry bag on leaks onto the shelf in the fridge HTF does this happen?????

Probably the same distance as Wollongong and Sydney, except Wollongong is alot nicer. Mandurah has it's own real estate section a sea of houses. It's just got its own rail way station alot of people commute from Mandurah to Perth each day. Im personally not a fan of Mandurah way to busy and the last place I would retire! Or holiday.

:icon_offtopic:

Really? - I loved it. My brother in law lives just up the road in Golden Bay. I thought it was a beautiful part of the country.
Cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back