Frozen Glasses

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hitman

Reaction score
Just a quick one,

I have half a dozen glasses for brew consumption, to keep em cold i put them in the freezer.

I have noticed that the frozen classes create insane head, which is retained throughout the drink.

Obviously a very simple scientific exp. probably something to do with the ice crystals on the glass, but for my novice brew hars, it works a treat i think!

Just a quick one,

I have half a dozen glasses for brew consumption, to keep em cold i put them in the freezer.

I have noticed that the frozen classes create insane head, which is retained throughout the drink.

Obviously a very simple scientific exp. probably something to do with the ice crystals on the glass, but for my novice brew hars, it works a treat i think!
Some people on the forum will advise that glasses in the freezer is not good, I recall some one saying its for people who don't like to taste their beer or something similar. Personnaly, I reckon there is nothing better than an ice cold glass and a cold beer. And you are right Hitman, Perth is the best place to be.

Just a quick one,

Here's a generalisation for you. As beer warms the flavour intensifies (to a point). As an opposite, really cold withholds flavour. You should have your glass at the same temp as the optimal serving temp. Easiest way is to put your glasses in the same place as your keg / bottle if you can. Its all even then.

I keep mine in the freezer over summer as it's either that or they sit in the heat in the cupboard and get to 30deg+......

I have no issues drinking my first beer of an evening from an icy cold glass, it normally goes down too fast to really savour the aroma/taste anyway.

My glasses go in the fridge or in the cupboard, depends who puts them away, but im the same first one goes down very quickly, then they have a chance to warm up after that and I can be usually drinking warm beer.. mmm

Drink my golden crispy lagers as cold as I can make them.
Aromatic Belgians and English Ales.. warm them up like to saggy ball bag temps.

I keep my glasses in the freezer of the keg fridge

Mostly for practicality and to keep them away from dust / breakage etc in the garage

Not ideal I know as beer ends up too cold to start with - but I rarely use a second glasses in a session so it's fine after warming up

Keg fridge is set to 6*C

Cheers

I use a glass from a cupboard but always rinse it out first. I'm not even sure why I do this anymore, probably started off to remove any extra soap from the dishwasher but now I do it out of habit. Seems to work well for me (pouring into a wet glass).

LOL, im at the other end of the scale at the mo, my chest freezers set to 20*c as to reduce the phenols from my belgian which is fermenting, I put the temp of my keg beer at 18*c, and surprisingly, im actually enjoying my Rye IPA ALOT more at this temp than when it was at 6*c, maybe the pom in me is coming out to play :unsure:

Just the imagine I needed first thing in the morning... ta Beef!

Two glasses always rinsed on the bench ready for the next day never get around to putting them in the freezer. Unless its a day thing and we are having guests....

another + for the best state in Australia... well to live anyhow!

I use a glass from a cupboard but always rinse it out first. I'm not even sure why I do this anymore, probably started off to remove any extra soap from the dishwasher but now I do it out of habit. Seems to work well for me (pouring into a wet glass).

I keep my glasses in the fridge not the freezer always without fail and as "Tha Mark^*******" does rinse with water before pouring a beer. My grandfather did it, my father does it so I do it? :rolleyes: I have never thought much about it, it's just a natural thing I do, even at friends places? I think I might even have the kids doing it now? I do remember my Grandfather saying it was to get the soap residue out of the glass.

Mine get washed in soap, but then triple rinsed with hot water. Never had any issues.

Wash in sink with everyday dishwashing detergent. Rinse.

Boil the jug. Fill glass with boiled water. Leave for 30 sec. Tip out. Turn upside down and drain (should dry quickly).

Let cool, chuck in fridge. Seems to clean out any residue, and pours great.

As for glasses in freezer. I dont really like it. Too cold to hold, and sweats too much. You end up with a puddle.

I keep my glasses in the fridge not the freezer always without fail and as "Tha Mark^*******" does rinse with water before pouring a beer. My grandfather did it, my father does it so I do it? :rolleyes: I have never thought much about it, it's just a natural thing I do, even at friends places? I think I might even have the kids doing it now? I do remember my Grandfather saying it was to get the soap residue out of the glass.

I also follow this method. Always rinse to get any residue off the glass and to bring the temp down slightly so i dont get heavy foaming on a warm day when pouring.

AFAIK, the soap used in dishwashers is very much like our brewery cleaning products, allot of phospahtes and oxygen based cleaners e.g sodium percarbonate.. When it dries, if the concentration used was not excessive there should be almost no residue considering all dishwashers have a 'rinse' cycle in the end. i just rinse still as a habit.

So, the best way to wash your beer glasses? In the dishwasher as it is cleaning residues are oxygen based.

I also saw on one of those Discovery Forensics shows that its possible to decompose a body down to a gelatinous gloop and bones in around 1-2 weeks with dishwashing detergent. :icon_vomit:
They did it with a pigs trotter and it was jelly and bones in around 7 days.

I also saw on one of those Discovery Forensics shows that its possible to decompose a body down to a gelatinous gloop and bones in around 1-2 weeks with dishwashing detergent. :icon_vomit:

backing away slowly,do you happen to own a pig farm bricktop the bookie?

NOTE: ok so if you haven't seen snatch you may take that as an insult so sorry if ya do

i used to keep my glasses in the freezer but as my keg system isnt properly balanced yet (sigh i know i'm lazy!) there is a bit of a foam issue, not huge but big enough that a frozen glass sends me to head city baby and not in a good way

one day i noticed my food fridge and my keg fridge are the same size so i knicked a shelf from the food fridge and it fits in nicely above the kegs and makes a nice rack for about 8-10 glasses.

still causes a bit of an issue with a bit more head than a room temp glass but i love beer from a cool glass, nothin nicer in summer.

cheers
carty

Frozen for lagers and just out of the cupboard for bitters.

:icon_offtopic: When I do my stints on directory assistance at work and ask 'what town or location' you can always tell when the caller is a Perth native because they refer to it as Puth (same vowel as 'mutt') whereas in the Eastern States we say Perth (same vowel as 'perve')

Also I love the way they nickname their suburbs and use the nick as the official name: East Vic Park, Freo, Osby Park etc.

Is Mandurah actually regarded by the locals as part of Perth or is it like the Gold Coast is to Bris and Wollongong is to Sydney?

We usually give them Swan Taxis but are there other taxi companies we should be aware of as well?

And what's the difference between Hans Cafes and Dome? :p

< / :icon_offtopic: >

Latest posts

Back