Froth is the enemy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowroader

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I have been brewing for decades and have only just started kegging my beer. I am having terrible troubles with high quantities of froth when pouring. The beer is carbonated beautifully in the corny keg but just turns to froth when it comes out of the tap. I have just renewed the lines and installed 2 metre runs. Has not made any difference. I have been setting the serving pressure at between .5 and .8 bar. And temperature is 3 to 4 degrees. Can anybody provide me with any suggestions or assistance? Cheers in frustration, Scott

What type of tap?
What carbonation pressure?
What does "carbonated beautifully in the keg" mean?

I suspect that perhaps it's overcarbed - simple as that. If so it takes time (a few days) to reach a equilibrium after dropping the pressure. But more info would be useful in helping solve this one.

For some reference, I have 4m of 5mm line running from the reg at 15 PSI.
The first pour (if you let it fill the glass) is 70% head.
If you let the tap cool first (pour ~50ml out and wait a bit) you will get a respectable head.
A pour straight up, gets a pub style head, but I am usually the only one drinking, so it works for me.

Drew said:
What type of tap?
What carbonation pressure?
What does "carbonated beautifully in the keg" mean?

I suspect that perhaps it's overcarbed - simple as that. If so it takes time (a few days) to reach a equilibrium after dropping the pressure. But more info would be useful in helping solve this one.
Tap is mounted to the side of the fridge, eg not a gun. I carbed at 2.5 Bar over 40 hours. As the beer was so flat on the pour, i took the lid off and dipped a glass directly into the keg, what came out was perfectly carbed...Hope that is a bit more useful info.

Back