Froth from Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradmelb

Reaction score
Hi ,
New to AHB and this is my first post. Not sure if this is the right section to pose this question?.
I have just kegged my first beer and it comes out as froth. I have a 3.5m beer line and reg set at 10psi. seems to be carbonated up enough when settled though a little flat for obvious reasons.
Hope someone can help.

How did you carbonate it originally?
What temperature is the beer?
Is the line and tap also cool?

it was force carbonated. the entire beer line is in the fridge at 4deg and beer line 8mm external dimensions so i am guessing 5-6mm internal.
Sorry new to this what is the appropriate section?

I moved it to gear and equipment. Don't worry about that bit.

You may have overcarbonated in your force carbing. There is a good article somewhere on balancing a draught system. I'm on phone - will link later.

What pressure did u force carb an for how long..? Was the keg fully cold before the force carb..? Your line is right size an plenty long enough.. Sounds like u have over carbed it if u pop the lid an it's all foam u know that's what has gone wrong..!

I have dropped the gas to 6psi and beer just drips form tap, so not sure if that is it.
once head settled i am happy with the amount of carbonation.

force carb was at 30psi for a minute, then a second time day after same time. just checked no foam in keg.

Yeh I only forced charged before I stepped up my reg now taps an charging are seperate tho when keg is cold I go about 17-18min at 30psi an done.. Pour. Did u release all the pressure out after charging..? As in relief the leg from the 30psi cos the keg has all that pressure built up in it. Than turn ya gauge back to say 4-6 for pouring.. If u dnt have foam than I think it's the pressure that may be inside it since u just checked an put lid back on how did next one pour.. Generally I find second beer an third always pour better that the first.

My 2c would be if you are happy with carbonation after the head settles then I would hazard a guess at over carbonation.

My suggestion would be to disconnect the gas line, release pressure over the next 48 hours and then connect gas at pouring pressure and try.

Force carb is a tricky science that usually ends in disappointment unless you have the practice down pat.

Best practice is to set to pouring pressure from the start and forget for a week minimum.

If this doesn't work, then I would start looking into you line balancing.

Also if u have time to get ya keg cold before u force carb it u can just do the 24-26hr carb too.. Alot safer in getting the right charge at the start.

keg was cold at start of carb, pressure releived after that also. As this was my first keg of course i was impatient and had to force it. will take advise and disconnect pressure for 48 hrs and try again.

Impatient……. waiting to drink beer ????

So uncouth.

haha

….I would be the same dude !

CF

I went through a few frothy kegs to come up with my opinion. It kills me to be patient.

A quick rule of thumb I use now is set to 300 on a warm keg fresh into the fridge for 24 hours and then drop to pouring. And waiting another 2 days.

It's cheating without cheating.

Sorry Rob.p just to confirm do you mean fresh warm keg to 300 psi?! under pressure for 24 hours?

Yep. But don't make the mistake of leaving it that extra "over night" or " after work".

Pour beer into keg, purge the head space to ensure its full of c02 and then set to 300 and wait 24 hours.

Release pressure and then set to pouring pressure.

Latest posts

Back