From Yesterdays Tiser

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmsy

Reaction score
Premium beer a recession beater
Article from: </IMG>MEREDITH BOOTH

May 21, 2009 12:01am

PREMIUM beer is the "affordable luxury" for Australians in hard economic times, said Lion Nathan chief executive Rob Murray yesterday as he revealed a healthy half-year profit for the company.

South Australian drinkers helped boost the West End, XXXX, Tooheys, Hahn and Boag's brewer's earnings by 7 per cent to $176 million in the six months to March 31 a rare profit among the current sea of public company losses.

Australian beer sales climbed 11 per cent to $832 million for the six months outperforming sales of New Zealand beer and Australian wine brands.

Australian drinkers continued to move away from mainstream beers to premium brands international labels, low-carb products and "craft" beers such as Boag's, the company said. Tap beer, in steady decline for the past decade because of bottles bought over the bar and carton purchases, had a rare increase of 2 per cent in the half particularly for XXXX Gold, Boag's Draught, Hahn Super Dry and James Squire brands, the brewer said.

Lion Nathan's West End draught brand was still the state's favourite one in five beers bought in SA annually but was losing ground to Hahn Super Dry and XXXX Gold, March data from market analyst AC Nielsen revealed.

Maylands Hotel regulars Tim Le Poidevin and Cameron Theile said they favoured Cooper's Pale Ale but were happy to buy premium beers if the price was right.

"I buy cartons, it's $40 a week which is what you would spend on petrol, but I would consider it a staple," Mr Le Poidevin said.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0...73-2682,00.html

Reads like a horror story really? West End, XXXX Gold, Boags, Hahn, Tooheys ARRGHGHGHGGG! Make the bad beers go away mummy... :icon_vomit:

*Chappo in the corner of his padded office rocking senselessly in the fetal position sucking his thumb*

I thought you guys would have a laugh.

These beers are been brought purely the fact they are alot cheaper the craft beers. Simple!

Reads like a horror story really? West End, XXXX Gold, Boags, Hahn, Tooheys ARRGHGHGHGGG! Make the bad beers go away mummy... :icon_vomit:

*Chappo in the corner of his padded office rocking senselessly in the fetal position sucking his thumb*

Get the man a LCBA - Stat!!!

:p

Funny how beer is a constant worldwide. The owner of the micro that graciously hosts our club meetings told me that his sales have increased since the economic shit hit the fan last year. The city and the province have been hard hit because the oilsands have largely shut down their expansion projects since oil fell. As a consequence a lot of jobs evaporated overnight. Add to that an increase in the province's liquor tax of a little over $.10 per bottle a few months ago. Despite all this, sales are still climbing. :huh:

Latest posts

Back