From Kegs To Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tucker

Reaction score
Hi, After some info. Had to go out the other day and night so filled some PET bottles from the keg. Worked well lasted the day away till every one else found I brought home brew and drank them all. The question I am posing is does any one else do this and how long does the beer last without going flat.

Thanks

How long is a piece of string? If you keep the bottle sealed and don't drink any of it, it will last for ages. If you drink half and leave it to warm up a bit, it'll go flat quicker.

one day i will aquire a counter pressure bottle filler....one day....

I fill mine with pottling wand through a bung via a picnic tap, and bleed the pressure....a 'faux cp', if you will. I have kept leftovers for a couple of weeks with no significant carb loss. What I find is that the carb is slightly lower when bottled, you inevitably lose a little bit. But I noticed no change between a couple of hours and a couple of weeks, once it's sealed.

Thanks for the info. I will make my self one of those little gadjets. Now that I now about them from the ultra to the home made what a great idea. Thanks again

I fill mine with pottling wand through a bung via a picnic tap, and bleed the pressure....a 'faux cp', if you will. I have kept leftovers for a couple of weeks with no significant carb loss. What I find is that the carb is slightly lower when bottled, you inevitably lose a little bit. But I noticed no change between a couple of hours and a couple of weeks, once it's sealed.

got any setup pics or plans? would like to try make one.

Took away 12 stubbies of my Rogers clone to the beach house last weekend. All had been bottled from tap ~2 weeks prior.

I filled each stubby to the top - only a slight loss in carb during this time.

Agree with butters - 2 hours, 2 weeks, shouldnt be a difference and the bottle is sealed. Only loss in carb is during the pouring process.

Was nice sitting on the balcony overlooking the beach knocking back a nice beer or 3.

got any setup pics or plans? would like to try make one.

purely just a drilled bung straght off the shelf, put in hot water to soften, with the coopers bottler shoved through. (without the valve from the end). Attaches to picnic tap with a small bit of racking hose (altough some bottlers may fit snugly inside/outside the picnic tap itself. But the coopers one is the same diamater, so I needed to join it.)

Then you just vent the keg down low, and bingo.
Don't have any pics atm but will take some later if you want.

theres a yank guy on youtube I got the idea off, he rambles a bit, but you'll get the idea.
link

cool cheers, no need for pics you explained it perfectly.

fents i have a home made counterflow filler your welcome to borrow if ya like .... if i can find it ....

Watched the youtube video, certainly seems like a good idea to try out. It would mean a lot less bottling, which is a fantastic idea for me :) Also, it would mean that the times when I'm all "damn, that beer on tap would be great to bring to this party, pity I didn't bottle some of that one..." will be gone...

aye, I only do it in order to take beer out....and to be honest, I just rinse the wand in hot water before and after....I mean, if it's only going to be consumed in a few hours.....
never tried it for long term (other than inadvertant left overs), don't see the point....but for a BYO, perfic.

I like using stuff that's lying around, and currently I have a pluto gun, not one of those picnic tap things- can I modify this somehow for this setup?

My LHBS is selling a picnic tap with line and disconnect for $35 (I think? somewhere in that ballpark) so I might as well just bite the bullet and buy it.

Can get it slightly cheaper if you shop around...8 for the tap, 15 fror the disconect, + line which is sfa.....
I'm a big fan of the picnioc tap. I got it as a stop-gap measure when I got my kegs to start with, but honestly, it would take a celi tap to break me away from it. It's amazing what a good pour you can get from a $8.00 tap....I might be a cheap bugger, but I think even if I was given a standard gun for free, I would probably stick with the wee little plastic jobby. :lol:

Edit - 10th pint, so obviously spelling. Not to mention, can everyone please turn theit BS meters to high in order to filter my posts for the next 12hrs?

I probably could, but I'm a lazy man. The idea of bottling only when it's necessary and having everything else on tap sounds really good to me. I'm going to try to have all the stuff next week and trial it out in a stubby, see how it goes :)

Back