Fridges And Fridgemates

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowie in space

Reaction score
Hey all, i wanna get started on brewing at lower temperatures so i can play around with lagers and pilsners and with summer coming on i reckon i'll need a 2nd fridge to put in the garage and some sort of temp control device (i have read about fridgemates on this forum).

I currently brew with two 30L fermenters (to make more beer) and would like a fridge that can fit both in. After bottling I store my beer at room temps in a spare room in the house for a few weeks, then transfer to the kitchen fridge to sit in cooler climate for a couple more weeks before drinking, but my kitchen fridge is fast running out of space. So I need a fridge big enough for 2 fermenters and ample bottle storage room.

I realise lagers and pilsners are best brewed around 8-10C and while that is not ideal beer drinking temperature, maybe the 2nd fridge can act as a cooler place to store beer for a while before transferring to my kitchen fridge.

Does anyone know of a good model of fridge to accomodate my needs, or can anyone share similar experiences...
I am trying to convince my wife this would be an ideal xmas present.
Cheers, Bowie

Probably best to try get a fridge that doesnt have a freezer, I picked up one off Ebay from a guy in the same town for $100, great condition and fits 2 fermenters nicely.. The shelves can be adjusted every couple centimetres, alot of the fridges you cant actually really adjust the shelves too much..

If you wanted something new, you are best to cart your fermenters into the store and test them out..

There are always great bargains on Ebay.. Just bide your time and dont rush into anything unless its really what your after, if you want a fridge that fits 2 fermenters, get a fridge that fits 2 fermenters...

Cheers

cheers clean brewer, yeah i saw on www.tradingpost.com.au a Phillips 350L fridge without a freezer compartment at the top. Looks pretty good, i am after something second hand as i don't have too much spare cash...

I also saw online tonight a thermostat that looked really good. Online from grain and grape for about $120. Just plug it in and attach to fridge without all the electrical fiddling and frigging about.

Would love some feedback on thermostats and fridges...

Probably best to try get a fridge that doesnt have a freezer...

Or would it be possible to get a fridge with a freezer, enough room to fit two fermenters in the fridge, enough room to fit bottles which are lagering in the freezer, convert the freezer to be able to run at around 2 degrees and have a fridgemate for each? Or is this far too ambitious, I haven't even got a fermenting fridge atm, but It's just a thought...

Those fridgemates look like an absolute nightmare to set up if you're not electrically minded like me! The thermostats look quite easy in comparison. Is this an optical illusion?

Or possibly the 100 can cooler might be the easiest and cheapest option, altough i still need somewhere to store my bottles...

Those fridgemates look like an absolute nightmare to set up if you're not electrically minded like me! The thermostats look quite easy in comparison. Is this an optical illusion?

Or possibly the 100 can cooler might be the easiest and cheapest option, altough i still need somewhere to store my bottles...

It's simple mate http://helms-deep.cable.nu/~rwh/blog/?p=29

No, they're not a nightmare. I have 2. One I use to keep fermenters @ 18C on a heater pad and the other doing my lagers @ 11C in a fridge. You can use them to control cooling or heating. They are a great unit - highly recommended. If you buy one and post it to me, I'll wire it up for you and post it back, so all you have to do is plug it into the power point and the other end into your fridge.
pm me if you really want me to do this for you.
mckenry

NO, the Fridgemates are a piece of piss to wire up. If you are at all handy with basic tools you will find it quite easy. I made one recently, and it took me an hour or so. The hardest part was cutting the hole in the jiffy box, and that was quite easy. The wiring part is very easy once you have one in your hands and get your head around it.

:)

Dave

+1 for a fridge off ebay, just picked up a 410L westinghouse (fridge only) last week for $76!

its in great nick and not that old too.

cheers clean brewer, yeah i saw on www.tradingpost.com.au a Phillips 350L fridge without a freezer compartment at the top. Looks pretty good, i am after something second hand as i don't have too much spare cash...

I also saw online tonight a thermostat that looked really good. Online from grain and grape for about $120. Just plug it in and attach to fridge without all the electrical fiddling and frigging about.

Would love some feedback on thermostats and fridges...

As the other guys said, fridgemate is easy to wire up, follow the link to the wiring diagram, if you are scared, get someone else to do it that is a bit more handy or spend a couple bucks and get a sparky to do it(only takes about 15 minutes to wire up).. Well worth the investment and saves alot of dramas..

Cheers for the prompt responses guys! That's installed some much needed confidence. They seem a lot cheaper than the thermostat I was looking at. $50 vs $120 seems like a good saving.

Checked out roblog link too. The zippy box doesn't seem too hard to hack into either. So I can get all the extras at Dick Smith for about $15.....is this correct?

Been checking out some fridges on ebay for about $50 too, some great bargains to be had!

Cheers for the prompt responses guys! That's installed some much needed confidence. They seem a lot cheaper than the thermostat I was looking at. $50 vs $120 seems like a good saving.

Checked out roblog link too. The zippy box doesn't seem too hard to hack into either. So I can get all the extras at Dick Smith for about $15.....is this correct?

Been checking out some fridges on ebay for about $50 too, some great bargains to be had!

Easy as mate, need 5 metre extension lead, Jiffy box, connector?, wire stripper.. So yeh, I think its about 15-20 bucks plus the $50 for the fridgemate...

With the fridges, measure your fermenters and ask the sellers the internal dimensions of the fridge so you can see if its right for you, or ask to go have a look at them before you buy..

Cheers

Hi Bowie, I'd look at spending just a little bit more and buy the new 'Tempmate' controller http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=2592Click here!

The advantage of this one is it will do heating and cooling at the same time. For example you run the fridge with the cooling plug and then place your heat pad or belt in it's location and run it out of the heating plug. So if it gets too cold (as in at night) and the fridge temp drops too low because of the outside temp it will turn the heat pad on, or vice versa.
I use the fridgemate to do this but I need 2 of them to do it, one for the fridge one for the heat pad.

But it depends on how your garage or shed is. Mine gets the extremes can get very hot during the day and chilly at night.

Either way they are easy to wire up.

Hi Bowie, I'd look at spending just a little bit more and buy the new 'Tempmate' controller http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=2592Click here!

The advantage of this one is it will do heating and cooling at the same time. For example you run the fridge with the cooling plug and then place your heat pad or belt in it's location and run it out of the heating plug. So if it gets too cold (as in at night) and the fridge temp drops too low because of the outside temp it will turn the heat pad on, or vice versa.
I use the fridgemate to do this but I need 2 of them to do it, one for the fridge one for the heat pad.

But it depends on how your garage or shed is. Mine gets the extremes can get very hot during the day and chilly at night.

Either way they are easy to wire up.

Good call, he is in Melbourne.. ;)

hey clean brewer, do you mean because i am in melbourne the 'tempmate' is more ideal because the temperature shifts are less extreme than in northern climates, or because it is always cool here?

I've learned that the cooler climate here in Melbourne is great for ale brewing, but you still need constant under 10C for brewing lagers and pilsners.

Will the 'tempmate' be more of advantage to the southern brewer?

Bowie in space,

So what ya doin out there man? (sorry couldn't resist)

As a fellow melburnite, have to admit a temp controlled fridge is an essential item to produce a decent brew.The inconsistent weather we suffer through definitely affects temps in my brewery(ok the laundry). So a couple of months ago bought a 335 litre fridge off ebay for $40, that fits 2 fermenters. If you go the ebay option, just be patient and you'll get a bargain. Took me about a month.

And can't speak highly enough of the tempmate. As a sparky, i'd have to say it's very easy to wire up. There is a good wiring diagram under the craft brewer tempmate post. But if your not sure, use a professional to wire it up. Or feel free to PM me with any questions.

Bought a jiffy box, and 2 flush socket outlets from jaycar to plug the fridge and heat source in. Keeps things nice and neat and looks good. So for a total of about $150 got a temp controlled fridge I'm extremely happy with.

Cheers

TC

Latest posts

Back