Fridgemate Settings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoey

Reaction score
I've wired up the new fridgemate and had it controlling my empty chest freezer for the last few days. It appears to be working ok.

For the first couple of days I set the temp to 5 deg C and it hovered between 2 deg and 8 deg.

This morning I set the temp to 20 deg C and after it reached 20 deg initially it has been sitting in the range 16 deg to 22 deg.

I suspect this temp variation is ok for serving temps, however, what about fermentation temps. Is it ok for the fermentation temp to vary like this during the fermentation process?

I have set the fridgemate settings to those recommended when using the fridgemate to control a fridge...

F0 - Temp Differential = 1 deg C
F1 - Compressor Delay Time = 9 mins
F2 - Set Min temp limit = -5 deg C
F3 - Set Max temp limit = +30 deg C
F4 - Select Operating Mode = 1
F5 - Temperature Calibration = 0

Do these settings look ok or should they be adjusted? What temperatures do you recommend for serving and fermenting temps?

Cheers,
yoey

Those settings look fine. Is the temp variation on the Fridgemate or from a seperate thermometer?
With a 1 deg C differential it should be just that. ie, if its set at 5 deg c it will chill down to 3 that it 1 whole deg below 5 deg c, with 4 deg c being the 1 deg differential and the same when the fridge warms up ie, it would kick in when the temp reaches 7 deg C with 6 deg c being the 1 deg differential. It sounds like u might have it set on 2 deg differential, either way it wont make much difference to fermenting wort. Just means the fridge gets a bigger break between cycles. I would not be too worried.

Steve

When you put your frementer in the freezer attach the probe using blu tact to the side of the fermentor

I found that the temperature variance was better this way

maybe in the empty chest the variation up and down the unit may vary

on the side of the fermenter you will not get as much change

anyway , works better for me this way

Is this a delay on, or off. or both?

How do you connect a relay to FridgeMate..any pictures or detailed instructions??

Would 10A relay be right size??

Is this a delay on, or off. or both?

I think this refers to the time it waits before next turning on again after previously turning off. ..

I am surprised that there is such a wide temperature variance with these settings. Does the freezer itself have a thermostat? Perhaps this is interfering with the cycle and turning off when it should be on?

I agree, I have my FM running my bar fridge for fermenting and for the last 10 days or so I haven't noticed it go outside 19-21 degrees.
Makesure the fridge thermostat is set to its coldest setting.

My fridge thermostat went beserk when I tried to do Lagers so I bypassed it, best thing you can do to it.
I don't get worried about a 2deg swing in fermenting temp, but I have seen the fridgemate go beyond the set swing. Hanging a probe in air is not condusive to a good feedback loop, you need to immerse it in the wort (thermowell) or in a fluid, or next best tape it to the side of the fermentor with insulation around it as mentioned already (it's on my to do list).

Skippy, why do you want to attach a relay ? The Fridgemate inbuilt switch is already good for 250VAC @ 10A.

Thanks all for your help!!! :)

I will be brewing tomorrow and will see how it goes once I fix the probe to the fermenter as suggested.

Hi Mika, how ya going?

spoke to guy at TWOK and he said his sparky mate pulled one apart and noticed that it didnt come with a relay..he said something about a relay as a safety precursor especially when using FM to control element/heater etc..

maybe void insurance policy if something goes tits up with FM??

is this true?

Sounds like a bit of BS to me, but maybe a sparky can shed some light. I'm simply going from the manufacturers website

Relay contact capacity:10A/250VAC (resistive)

Adding another relay adds another level of complexity to a simple device. You'd still be running 240VAC thru the Fridgemate it just wouldn't be pulling the amps. As it states the internal switch/relay is good for 250VAC @ 10A anyway, so I can't see why you'd bother.

How do you connect a relay to FridgeMate..any pictures or detailed instructions??
Would 10A relay be right size??

Have seen the above threads, but if you want to operate a device requiring more current, simply buy a relay with load contacts rated at the required current and as far as the fridgemate wiring diag is concerned wire the relay coil in place of the load in the diag and run a 240V active to the load via the relay contacts.

Screwy

I've heard of people using external relays, apparently to extend the life of their FM. So far I haven't heard of many (any?) FM's failing like this so I don't know the value in that theory.

Most household circuits are only 10A anyway, so that should be fine for anything designed to run off a regular powerpoint. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that would need the use of a bigger relay (more current) would be a big heating element maybe...?

I think we seem to be getting a little OT here though :)

Thanks for the advice Screwtop... I'll go with Mika's advice and just use K.I.S.S. theory on FM,

however searched the entire site for info on those Mashmaster Hot Liquor & Mash Tun Temperature Controller DEI-106, found lots of info and enough wiring diagrams to sink a ship but little photos that are any good to use as a referance...

Can anyone post some clear photos (similar in detail to these, http://helms-deep.cable.nu/~rwh/blog/?p=29 ) of the control device showing all the wire terminations going to controller, probe, connectors and that transformer looking thingy??

Thanks.

:beer:

The diagram that's in the instructions is fairly good. I might be brewing on Sunday, in which case I'll have to wire the thing back up again, excellent oppurtunity if you're free.
Good idea to add a relay to these mashmate controllers though as the diagram mentions it's only good for switching 5A.

The diagram that's in the instructions is fairly good. I might be brewing on Sunday, in which case I'll have to wire the thing back up again, excellent oppurtunity if you're free.
Good idea to add a relay to these mashmate controllers though as the diagram mentions it's only good for switching 5A.
Hi Mika

I actually chased up the manufactures about the DEI-106 mashmaster some time ago there response:

The correct relay capacity for DEI-106H is 17amps, however, we consider the product safety, therefore, we recommed using for up to 10amps. In order to confusing users, we will revise the relay capacity in the wiring diagram and make both documents are in 10amps.

The 5amps evidently applied to inductive loads.

Well that's kinda cool, as I've been putting 10A thru it for the last 10months and it hasn't given up the ghost :D
But the new relays are on order regardless...guess I'll now have one of those complicated systems :rolleyes:

Edit:fixing silly stuff

Latest posts

Back