Fridgemate Probe Wheres Yours

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...this is a good point. And what of fast ferments with something like a wheat or ale yeast - How much warmer is the wort when it's firing on all cylinders, compared to a lager at low temperatures?
I really don't see the point in just assuming the wort will be a few degrees warmer, when you can just stick it to the side, and measure the ACTUAL wort temp, and gain the added benefits of its thermal mass...not to mention the temperature differential of several degrees from the top to the bottom of the fridge.

Flame suit on.
:ph34r:

No need for a flame suit Hutch. That's a very good point.

There is really no need to get to wound up about where u stick your probe. Air temp is fine. Just set a deg or 2 lower than what u want and that will do. The problem with sticking in the wort or a jar of water or anything else high tech is that there is a delayed reaction. If you put the probe in the wort u end up flogging your fridge for 24 hours straight to bright the temp down. I like putting the probe in the air and combined with the computer fan the fridge cycles as normal and the fan makes a huge difference in bringing the temp down quick.
And take it from me the wort does not warm up that much during active fermentation, I have tested it.
I would advise to control the air temp and check the wort temp and adjust to suit.

Steve

If you put the probe in the wort u end up flogging your fridge for 24 hours straight to bright the temp down.

firstly, air temp is better than none.

But if it is flogging your fridge for 24hours straight to bring it down then thats what it needs to do. It's really no different to normal operation unless you have bridged the internal thermostat. Even when I set my one to -1deg it still doesnt reach it in one sitting, it bounces off the standard thermostat.

Personally I mount my one on the side, but that will change when I mount my conical inside the ferm fridge.

Personally I mount my one on the side, but that will change when I mount my conical inside the ferm fridge.
In my keg freezer that was my second mistake. Mounting the probe to the wall. By doing this the probe temp dropped in about 30 seconds to the set temp and the freezer was always cycling. In my keg freezer I have the probe hanging down the middle towards the bottom with a computer fan plugged in with the fridgemate so it only comes on with the fridgemate and I have my fridgemate set at a 3 deg differential, and believe me the beer does not noticeably alter in temp.
In my fermentation FRIDGE I have the differential set to 1 deg C and have the fridgemate set a couple of deg C lower than what I am after and just sit the probe on the lid of the fermenter.
After all we are only making beer

Steve

In my keg freezer that was my second mistake. Mounting the probe to the wall. By doing this the probe temp dropped in about 30 seconds to the set temp and the freezer was always cycling. In my keg freezer I have the probe hanging down the middle towards the bottom....

By side I mean side of the fermenter. I do the same as you for my chestfreezer air temp is fine when the product isnt generating heat. Just got to be careful when moving things about to make sure it dangles back down, have had it resting onto of things and end up freezing things.

There is really no need to get to wound up about where u stick your probe. Air temp is fine. Just set a deg or 2 lower than what u want and that will do. The problem with sticking in the wort or a jar of water or anything else high tech is that there is a delayed reaction. If you put the probe in the wort u end up flogging your fridge for 24 hours straight to bright the temp down. I like putting the probe in the air and combined with the computer fan the fridge cycles as normal and the fan makes a huge difference in bringing the temp down quick.
And take it from me the wort does not warm up that much during active fermentation, I have tested it.
I would advise to control the air temp and check the wort temp and adjust to suit.

Steve

You're right SJW, it's not that big an issue really.
I've been pondering this a little, and I guess both methods have their pro's and cons:

1 - When you immerse the probe, or insulate it on the side of the fermenter, you get an accurate measure of the brew temperature, however the temperature of the beer itself needs to oscillate ~2degrees, which may affect the yeast. On the standard fridgemate, the lowest temp differential (+/-1 degree) is too large in my opinion, although for $50 that's expecting a bit much!.

2 - When you have the probe suspended in the fridge, the fridge power-cycles more frequenctly, giving a more constant temperature in the fermenter, however with less certainty about the actual brew temperature. You would also presume that the time-delay on the fridgemate would be sufficient to limit damage to the fridge compressor with faster power-cycling.

Perhaps a compromise would be best - stick it to the side of the fermenter to get it in contact with the brew, but without insulation, to ensure faster cycling of the fridge (and use a fan to keep the air moving around inside the fridge).

(Ouch, my head hurts!)

Latest posts

Back