Fridgemate, Probe Has Changed?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balconybrewer

Reaction score
hi all, just unwrapped my new fridgemate as the other one got fried during a heavydown pour and my roof leaked. anyway new fridemate seems to have a plastic probe???? is this the right one?????

also i still have the old probe that i think is stainless?? can i just use it?

one more thing the new one doesnt have a + and - for the probe, does it matter?

cheers

i think the answer to those would be, yes, yes, and no in that order :)

Irecall reading a discussion on using the temp sensor in water - and why people didn't want to do it becaseu it was metal -

But now becasue its plastic - you should have no worries about sticking it in water to measure the temperature.

I put mine in a bottle of water in the fridge door to give it a buffer to the rising temp when you open the fridge door.

can anyne confirm this probes water resistance, how long have you ben doing this for jester?

Irecall reading a discussion on using the temp sensor in water - and why people didn't want to do it becaseu it was metal -

But now becasue its plastic - you should have no worries about sticking it in water to measure the temperature.

I put mine in a bottle of water in the fridge door to give it a buffer to the rising temp when you open the fridge door.

If it IS the same as the same as the "Mashematics APTC Temp Control" AKA Ebay-elcheapo Temp controller, those are sold on Ebay as fish-tank controllers so the probe for those would have to be waterproof.
I'm not sure the old one was stainless-steel it looks a little cheaper to me, but there is no reason why you can't use the old probe on the new unit, the specs should be the same.

If you stick the probe onto the side of the fermenter, with a bit of blutak or polystyrene as insulation, then you will basically be reading the exact temp of the fermenting beer, with very little variance. Whether you want to go by the beer temp, or the ambient(or glass of water) temp, that's more of a personal choice really.

personally I'm sticking mine to the outside of the fermenter with some polystyrene

If you stick the probe onto the side of the fermenter, with a bit of blutak or polystyrene as insulation, then you will basically be reading the exact temp of the fermenting beer, with very little variance. Whether you want to go by the beer temp, or the ambient(or glass of water) temp, that's more of a personal choice really.

personally I'm sticking mine to the outside of the fermenter with some polystyrene

Yep - got another temp controller - ebay - and has same plastic probe.

I am sticking it to the side of the fermenter with blutak now also.

I also have a echo holder cut up, and sealed on all sides with electircal tape on the side of same fermenter, to house the probe of a battery operated max/min temp gague (displays to 0.1 Deg),

and the temp accuracy is within 1 DegC.

I'm impressed :)

I emailed the ebay store asking if the probe was water proof )for the STC-1000), they confirmed it wasn't. What could I do to either make it water proof or replace the prove with something that is waterproof.

Thanks

I emailed the ebay store asking if the probe was water proof )for the STC-1000), they confirmed it wasn't. What could I do to either make it water proof or replace the prove with something that is waterproof.

Thanks

you need to make a thermowell. search for it....easiest way i know of is getting a "beer out" tube from an old post mix keg and crimp one end of it. instant thermowell.

can anyne confirm this probes water resistance, how long have you ben doing this for jester?

I have been using a fridgemate MkI with the metal probe to control a fermentation fridge for a while now. I had actually assumed (I know, NEVER assume!) that the probe was waterproof. I have in the past stuck it into a longneck full of water in the corner of the fridge. I did this for a couple of brews to no ill affects but am now worried that I could potentially fry the unit. It looks like I should rig up a basic thermowell, but I really don't want to spend money on this!

Edit: I'm thinking a crimped & soldered bit of copper pipe should do the trick, and just insert the probe then suspend in water bottle in the fridge.

Latest posts

Back