Fridge Temp Controller Reccomendation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bizier

Petite Mutant
Reaction score
I have tried searching regarding this, but haven't come up with a solid idea of what the deal is. I understand fridgemates have a good reputation. I have moved house and have a dedicated brewery now, including a fermentation fridge.

Can anyone shed any light onto what is the best basic fridge controller unit, and how much electric work has to occur - I gather you have to tinker with wiring separate fridge components.

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Dan

I can only comment on the fridgemate. There is no wiring of the fridge required if you use an extension cord. Full instructions are downloadable from sponsors above who supply them.

I can only comment on the fridgemate. There is no wiring of the fridge required if you use an extension cord. Full instructions are downloadable from sponsors above who supply them.

+40000 For the fridgemate.

I tried one of those other external dial ones (i still use it to run one of my fridges), but the mashmaster fridgemate is just tops! about $50 + an extension cord and plastic hobby box... set it up for either heating and cooling, select your temp and go!

Also, it displays the current temp (not just target)... OK maybe I love this little device a bit too much... :)

Im looking into buying one atm.. and am curious of what you need the hobby box for ?? im very happy to use a extension cord if that means i dont have to hire a elec for a hour to install it..

I have had a look through the install instructions and it looks way over my head.

Im looking into buying one atm.. and am curious of what you need the hobby box for ?? im very happy to use a extension cord if that means i dont have to hire a elec for a hour to install it..

I have had a look through the install instructions and it looks way over my head.

You need the box to mount the controller in. All you have to do is cut a hole in the side of the plastic and the controller has 2 mounting clips to hold it in place. As for the wiring it is pretty simple for those who have an inkling about these sort of things or are handy with tools.

And yes Bizier these controllers are very easy to use and work well.

Ooh ok thanks man. In the pics iv seen of the controllers they look like they have a full surround.

I am quite interested in electronics and work in IT but try to stay away from the high voltage stuff..

Anyone think the Black MM one is better than the cheaper blue fridge mate ? the only difference iv seen is the probe is that it ? reccomended ?

Ooh ok thanks man. In the pics iv seen of the controllers they look like they have a full surround.

I am quite interested in electronics and work in IT but try to stay away from the high voltage stuff..

Anyone think the Black MM one is better than the cheaper blue fridge mate ? the only difference iv seen is the probe is that it ? reccomended ?

The blue one has a larger temp measuring and controling range than the black one and you can always get a SS sensor for the blue Fridgemate.

The SS probe is only really required if you wish to temp control from within your fermenter (ie put the probe into the wort).
You could (as others have suggested/done) just put the probe into a crimped keg dip tube and then place that in the wort to get the same effect.

I however, just tape the probe that comes with it to the side of the fermenter and adjust a degree or so to compensate.

If you dont mind going the extra $30, I would get the SS probe. I will be getting one (actually two) in the future.

The wiring is really simple, they even tell you what colours go where. Screw in terminals and all.

However, if you aren't confident - I'm sure you have a mate that is... Every group of friends has one (especially considering you're in IT... you should have 50 of them :) )

Cheers

Cool guys, was thinking I would have to hack into the back of the fridge and then undo it all when I am done, this all looks easy as compared to what I was gearing up for.

I think I will just use the supplied sensor and insulate using HD foam where is is in contact with the air.

Fridgemate: here I come!

FM is the way to go for sure, wiring them up is pretty damn simple really and there is a thread on here that was like 30 pages long to help you if you need it.
Fridge plus into FM, FM plugs into wall. You need the jiffy box to hold all the wiring etc - it will work all loose and hanging out, just like your car will run without the bonnet on but you aren't gonna drive around with no bonnet are you?
Vicelore: what you have seen is the actual controller with the circuit board inside, you still need to hold all the wiring that joins into the back of the unit.

HERE is a good blog on how to wire it up and what it looks like.

FM is the way to go for sure, wiring them up is pretty damn simple really and there is a thread on here that was like 30 pages long to help you if you need it.
Fridge plus into FM, FM plugs into wall. You need the jiffy box to hold all the wiring etc - it will work all loose and hanging out, just like your car will run without the bonnet on but you aren't gonna drive around with no bonnet are you?
Vicelore: what you have seen is the actual controller with the circuit board inside, you still need to hold all the wiring that joins into the back of the unit.

HERE is a good blog on how to wire it up and what it looks like.

Thats a fantastic blog! Even I could do that when I get one.
Cheers
Steve

i have the same fridgemate as the blog, but you don't even need the wire joiners or that white connecty thing. here's an MS paint of how i did mine:
basically instead of the complicated split on the brown and blue lines, without cutting the wire i stripped some insulation off, twisted it around secured it into slots 5 and 6 - you still cut the brown line further down for slots 1 & 2...
fm_wiring.png

40274880gc9.jpg

I used the Jaycar kit for my kegerator and have been very happy with how it works, but once you factor in that it doesn't have it's own digital readout, then the cost of the Fridgemate starts to look better and better.

As for the sensor, I am happy with mine to be in the kegerator, and with a little bit of mucking about, it is now set so that the beer comes out of the taps at a perfect 4 degrees. For this to occur, the thermometer inside the kegerator in the open shows up at being 2 degrees.

+1 for the FridgeMate.

I purchased one after reading recommendations in the forums, and its the best brew-toy I've bought in a long time.
Like other posters I used this article to help wire it up and it couldn't be simpler.

Being able to reliably control fermentation temperature opens up a whole new range of brewing possibilities plus better tasting beer.

Can use in winter as well, should you wish to keep something warm with a heatbox/belt/pad.

Yeeehaa!

Fridgemate wired up and ready to roll!

I think I will also possibly be using it in the cold with my electric blanket.

Just got another 2 fermenters from Bummings yesterday, bringing my total to 5... I am currently a happy man.

Thanks all for your help.
Thanks RWH for the blog. Very useful. I ended printing it along with all the comments, which I thought would only be thanks, but they ended up being useful because I have the newer model with the extra 3rd point on the left hand side of the unit.

Cheers
Dan

yeah - well I sorta already purchased it, ordered from Craftbrewer over the net on friday morning...

has anyone wired one of these up before?

Latest posts

Back