Fridge Or Freezer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmsy

Reaction score
Well yesterday i came home from work and thought id chuck a lock on me keg fridge so i can lock any beers i buy and discoonect the beer lines and lock the fridge when im not home to stop my house mates helping them selfs. I dont mind sharing my beers with them but the last 3 kegs ive had ive went to pour a beer and they were empty. They dont understand how much it cost nor the effot i put in to making beer I LIKE.

Well I was drilling a self tapping screw on the side of the fridge i must of hit a gas line for the fridge so its totally stuffed. I was wandering should i go for a chest freezer style oor go for an upright fridge style? I will be hunting for one on ebay just after xmas

For starters id be telling ya mates to stop drinking all ya piss in a slightly rude manner...
Or failing that, inform them that if they care to chuck in some coin and help on brew day, you wouldnt mind as much.
But a swift punch in the head gets the point across better LOL!

I use a big chest freezer set up with tempmaster, plenty of room then for kegs / carboys fermenting.
Evilbay is a good place to start, you might even find someone selling something already set up.
Cheers

mate, there's cheap chest freezers in the Adelaide shopper in Fridays Advertiser. Thats's good advice from jigsaw, a quick uppercut oughta do it.

I would kick there teeth in and then send them off shopping for a new chestie ! How rude drinking your beer when your not there, they might as well help there selves to your misses too !
Jokes aside... i would go for a chestie most 200 - 250ltr will hold 4 cornies

Well yesterday i came home from work and thought id chuck a lock on me keg fridge so i can lock any beers i buy and discoonect the beer lines and lock the fridge when im not home to stop my house mates helping them selfs. I dont mind sharing my beers with them but the last 3 kegs ive had ive went to pour a beer and they were empty. They dont understand how much it cost nor the effot i put in to making beer I LIKE.

Well I was drilling a self tapping screw on the side of the fridge i must of hit a gas line for the fridge so its totally stuffed. I was wandering should i go for a chest freezer style oor go for an upright fridge style? I will be hunting for one on ebay just after xmas

Timmsy, the fridge can be fixed you know, normally at a cost of 2-300 bucks !

It is real anoyimng. One time i came home from Beerbelly with a hops, grain yeast etc.... and dumped it on the table and asked them to have a guess how much it cost me. They were way of and i said if your going to drink my home brew help me brew and pay for it as im sick of going to the keg and its empty or having like 5 pints out the keg. I told them i will teach them how to make K&K and they can drink that. Hell they drink coldies. So im thinking it will just be easier for me to lock the fridge then i can buy beer also with out worrying about it going

I am thinking of a chest freezer. Ive allways like the look of them

Just brew beer they wouldn't like if they're megaswill drinkers.

With space permitting I'd go a chesty. A 215+ with a collar will hold 4 kegs and @ 215ltrs they're not that big.

I recently got a 320ltr and it's 970Wx970Hx700D.

Chest.

+ more kegs
+ don't lose cold air when opening
+ multiple kegs, easier access

Upright.

+ smaller foot print
+ easier tap conversion/installation

With space permitting I'd go a chesty. A 215+ with a collar will hold 4 kegs and @ 215ltrs they're not that big.

Chest.

+ more kegs
+ don't lose cold air when opening
+ multiple kegs, easier access

Upright.

+ smaller foot print
+ easier tap conversion/installation
+ easier to put kegs in when full; without breaking your back

Added 1 more bonus for upright fridges.

QldKev

@QldKev Very good point. I over looked that one because I have a fresh 24yo back waiting to be broken in.

I would for your Housemates brew a kit beer with 1kg Dex and a Can of Coopers Draught and brew it as warm as you can (and maybe throw in some infection), chuck that in the kegs and let them drink to their hearts content.... :p That should put them off your beer.... :D Oh, and turn the fridge up a little and dont gas the Beer up....

:icon_cheers: CB

If it's an exercise is something different I'd suggest making a gruit. Seriously though, people should respect other peoples property. It really is as simple as that.

@QldKev Very good point. I over looked that one because I have a fresh 24yo back waiting to be broken in.

Thanks; yep my 40yr old back is still ok but I'm starting to think about it more.

I wasn't too sure if it was ok to mod into your post but you had said everything I would have.

QldKev

What about tap locks?

But yeah I love chest freezers as they are economical to run, easy to find secondhand (unless you want a monster)

Having said that a 19L keg full of beer seems to weigh more than you think when you have to lift it over the side of the freezer!
Its also hard to store other items (bottled beer, yeasts etc) in a chest freezer compared with an extra shelf in a normal fridge

Also a normal fridge can run without an external temp controller...

I had a look yesterday. 220L f&p chesty was going for $489 @ Clive peeters. Havey norman had display stock of the same for $499. So they should match at least. Looks big enough for 4 cornies plus gas etc on the hump. With a collar should even do 6.

I had a look yesterday. 220L f&p chesty was going for $489 @ Clive peeters. Havey norman had display stock of the same for $499. So they should match at least. Looks big enough for 4 cornies plus gas etc on the hump. With a collar should even do 6.

There's two types of F&P models. The slimline ones are better. The slimline 215L one can fit 4 cornies on the floor. The regular 220L one can only hold 3 cornies on the floor.

It is real anoyimng. One time i came home from Beerbelly with a hops, grain yeast etc.... and dumped it on the table and asked them to have a guess how much it cost me. They were way of and i said if your going to drink my home brew help me brew and pay for it as im sick of going to the keg and its empty or having like 5 pints out the keg. I told them i will teach them how to make K&K and they can drink that. Hell they drink coldies. So im thinking it will just be easier for me to lock the fridge then i can buy beer also with out worrying about it going

I am thinking of a chest freezer. Ive allways like the look of them

Unfortunately they seem the type of yobs who'd cut the lock off anyway. Why not brew up batch of original 1970's rocket fuel home brew loaded with sugar and have a couple of taps feeding off it. They'll get roaring drunk followed by a violent headache and hangover and never go near your beer again. Meanwhile you could still have your padlock on the fridge with a bronco tap inside for you to get at your good stuff (when they can't see you!).

+ 1 for QldKev's summary list. It's all about what suits you. :icon_cheers:

@QldKev Wisdom before fresh backs I say :p Are you serious? I love the giving nature of these forums, mod to your hearts content.

@Komodo Now that you mention it, I haven't had to lift one very high in forever. Perhaps I'll be tuning into Kevs addition once I've got a tempmate for my 320.

Back