Fridge Or Freezer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katherine

Reaction score
Okay... in a months time I will have my life back and brewing again.

Ive decided not to bottle so I want to get into kegging, plus need a fridge for conditioning (don't need the disaster of last Summer, two double batches down the gurgler!), so TD you were wondering how the hopburst went... well apparently it was nice as I put a fermenter in Patch's fridge. It was around Christmas so he does not recall drinking it! I missed out. Anyhow.....

What is best FREEZER or FRIDGE, I only really want two kegs going at once and enough room for two fermenters.

Your advice would be appreciated...

K

I've had two freezers. I now have a commercial single glass door cooler. Given what I now know, I wouldn't hesitate to get a fridge or commercial cooler. Freezers are okay, but lifting kegs & fermenters in & out of them is a pain in the butt.

Just my $.02.

How about freezer or fridge for fermentation?

I was thinking of picking up an old fridge and using it to ferment (primary and secondary) two beers at once...

but barfridge is probably cheaper!!!! :)

Barfridge if your doing 1 fermenter.

perfect size for 23L

I want two fermenters going...

What I really want to know which works better.... Are there any problems with converting the freezer to a fridge?

so would it be better for chest freezer for fermenting or would a bar fridge be better?

Can you have a fridge to do both with the aid of a fridgemate, brew then condition and then drink?

Cortez The Killer: I'd go for an upright for fermenting (as it's hardly ever on) and a chest for a keg fridge
Spot on. That's what I have now. Upright fridge is great for fermenter access and (in my setup) gravity filling kegs. Chest freezer is efficient at keeping kegs cool and cost next to nothing to run.

However there is nothing super wrong with a couple of fridges either. Easier to access and fit taps to if you want. Just not quite as good on the power consumption front.

BungalowBill: Can you have a fridge to do both with the aid of a fridgemate, brew then condition and then drink?
Yes as long as you don't want to drink and ferment at the same time. Even if you have room for the fermenter and the kegs, your fermenting temp does not generally equal your dispensing temp. I made do with the brew then serve approach with a single fridge for a while. But eventually you'll likely want a seperate unit for fermenting and one for serving.

Katie: What I really want to know which works better.... Are there any problems with converting the freezer to a fridge?
Not really. Just add a reliable thermostat to control the temp. I use the mash master fridge mate. They don't require any mods to the fridge/freezer and basically just switch the power on or off based on your specified temp. (Note that on my fermenter fridge I use one fridge mate to control the fridge power and a second fridge mate running in heating mode to switch a heat pad on or off)

If you want to serve beer out of a freezer with a tap, you generally either put a font in the lid (bit of a cooling issue in hot weather if you ask me), or add a collar and put taps in the collar. Freezers have cooling coils in their walls so drilling into them is not recommended. On a fridge you just drill into the door and mount the tap there (it's just plastic and foam). I have also seen people put taps inside the freezer hinged to the lid (open the lid and they are ready to serve)... or mount taps or fonts on the back of the freezer with beer lines running out the freezer seal (no collar, no drilling).

Most people also add a small PC fan at the top of a freezer to circulate the air inside periodically. Stops layers of temps forming in the freezer (and specifically if you have a collar... stops taps at the top, and the beer in them, staying warm). I just wired a salvaged PC fan to an old phone charger and I run it on one of those timer switches. If you aren't installing taps you might be able to skip this.

I reckon it basically comes down to preference for cooling efficiency, ease of access (lifting a full keg into a chest freezer on your own is not super easy... nor, i imagine, accessing a fermenter in one), desire to mess about with collars and the like if you want taps (fridge is a bit simpler)... and of course what you can get a hold of. Old fridges are more common than old chest freezers.

I have a upright fridge for fermenting, 2 at at time, I have a Dixell controller on this one. I think a fridge is best for this job as you dont open it much.

And another fridge with 4 kegs in it. I have 2 kegs conditioning and 2 kegs hooked up to my 2 taps. Works a treat. A freezer may be more efficient, but I only open the door every 1-2 weeks so I don't think the cold air escaping is much. Think about your household fridge; and I'm not going to store food in a converted chest freezer. Not knocking the freezer I have never actually had one.

Only problems which beer to drink; Pilsener or the Ale?

QldKev

Fridge for fermentation and freezer for kegs, both with fridgemates.

Steve

Would a cheap bar fridge a-la-Aldi or Kmart fit a screwtop 30L fermenter, generally?? I'm tempted to get one so I can do lagers over summer in SEQ.

After my latest issue with fridges, the FIRST thing I would do is to

ASK A FRIDGE MECHANIC

Strange is it may seem, but they can actually help you....

I've got one of each.

Upright freezer with 6 kegs and a bar fridge for fermentation, both with digital temp controllers. I had a chest freezer, and while it worked, I found that getting kegs in an out was a pain, literally. Cleaning it was a bugger as well.

The bar fridge works well for fermentation and it is possible to have two batches going at the same time in it. I've actually got a double batch of oktoberfest in 2 20litre plastic containers at the moment. Just managed to make them fit side by side.

I think you also need to consider the amount of room these things take up. A chest freezer takes up quite a bit of floorspace and you can't really put anything on top of it. An upright freezer or fridge will take up less floorspace and you can sit your temp controllers on the top without having to move everything around when you open the door.

gary

BribieG, Yes, but better take a tape measure to be sure. You may have issues with the extra height of the airlock.

I've got an old bar fridge that I picked up on ebay for the princely sum of $2.21 and I use that with a fridgemate for fermenting.
I have a chest freezer with fridgemate for kegs, it fits 4 kegs and isn't too big. Chest freezers are harder to lift kegs into when full but they should be more efficient than a fridge and you dont get all your cold air rushing out like when you open the door to a fridge.

Either way is fine, but a fridgemate is your best friend.

Back