Fridge circular air-cooling beer line idea - Suggestions?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goatus

Reaction score
I'm currently running a chesty with taps through the collar, but from a combination of the chesty starting to show its age, wanting to run less fridges in my brewery, and wanting the convenience of putting the kegs in without lifting them, I am thinking of throwing my kegs into my upright fridge/freezer (currently just stores bottled beer and hops in the freezer). I am thinking of putting a couple of largish holes in the side of the fridge and running a loop of pipe insulation between them, with a small fan at the top sucking air to make the cool air constantly recirculate. The loop of hose will run behind a wall and the taps will be mounted through the wall. Dodgey mspaint diagram incoming:

fridge-idea.png

Good idea? Bad idea? Alternatives? Suggestions?

Cheers!

I’m planning on doing something similar with a chesty, collar and beer engine. But in your case is there any reason you can’t mount your taps on the fridge door?

Sorry just re read and see you’re mounting the taps behind a wall.

[SIZE=11pt]Looking again your plan is pretty much what I’m thinking of doing but in a chesty, I intend to run the beer line and flow pipe from the bottom of the chest freezer (coldest part) up through the collar and returning through the collar with a fan. Ill also box in and insulate the pipe work.[/SIZE]

S.E said:
[SIZE=11pt]I intend to run the beer line and flow pipe from the bottom of the chest freezer (coldest part)[/SIZE]
I am considering this too - but i am torn between picking up the coldest air, and the length of the insulated pipe (I want to run it up to a comfortable standing pour height on the wall) - the longer the pipe, the more you are basically increasing the volume of the fridge. I suppose I could have both in and out holes quite high up, but run the pickup pipe internally to suck from the bottom.

goatus said:
I am considering this too - but i am torn between picking up the coldest air, and the length of the insulated pipe (I want to run it up to a comfortable standing pour height on the wall) - the longer the pipe, the more you are basically increasing the volume of the fridge. I suppose I could have both in and out holes quite high up, but run the pickup pipe internally to suck from the bottom.
That’s what I’m thinking of doing, running the pick up (flow) internally from the bottom and up through the collar. My duct pipe will be 40 or 50 mm, no problem drilling that size through a chesty collar but may be a problem drilling that size through the side of a fridge though.

Latest posts

Back