Fridge ambient temp v fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squirrell

Reaction score
Hi,

Just got a fridge and have a temperature controller hooked up. The controller shows 13.5 whereas the fermenter plastic strip says 16. I have the temp sensor sitting next to the fermenter (not stuck to it). Would i expect this much difference? or is the sticky perhaps wrong (i've had it for over a year and its seen a bit of water)

Those stick-on thermometers are worthless in my experience. Having said that, try sticking the controllers probe to the outside of the fermenter, it'll give you a better idea of what the temperature of the liquid inside is.

The strip might not be very accurate, but I wouldn't be surprised if the difference between the actual beer and the air temp was 2.5 C.

A lot of people stick their probe to the side of the fermentor and put some cut up stubby holder, or other insulation, over it and are happy with the results. My probe is water proof so I put a cable gland in the lid and have mine actually in the beer.

Anecdotal evidence suggests both methods work quite well for getting sufficiently accurate measurements.

It could be 20 degrees different in the fridge space compared to the temperature of yoir beer. It depends whether the fridge is running at the time or not.

Whenever there is active fermentation there will always be a temperature difference. This is what drives heat transfer.

You can either set your controller an arbitrary level lower than your desired temperature, or directly measure as mentioned above.

The strip might not be very accurate, but I wouldn't be surprised if the difference between the actual beer and the air temp was 2.5 C.
I always drop my thermostat 2.5 degrees below intended ferment temp as when I have measured active fermentations, that is generally what the difference suggests.
My method is primitive - beer into hydrometer tube containing thermometer. Same thermometer/s will read ambient temp within a beesdick of stc-1000 setting.

verysupple said:

A lot of people stick their probe to the side of the fermentor and put some cut up stubby holder, or other insulation, over it and are happy with the results. My probe is water proof so I put a cable gland in the lid and have mine actually in the beer.

Anecdotal evidence suggests both methods work quite well for getting sufficiently accurate measurements.
This is what I do and fine it works really well, doesn't change the temp on the digital read out when the fridge is running so must be picking up the beer temp not the air

Why not do this?
fermenter-probe.jpg

Thermowell from Beerbelly, some heat transfer compound, heatshrink (to get the compound down to the bottom) and epoxy with nozzle.

I have a heat belt and freezer. If I want to keep it at a particular temperature I will have the heat belt on. During cooling (generally ~10°C needed after boil and chill) or wheat (and for Belgian coming up) I will disconnect the heater and either set it a few degrees up (for e.g. pitch at 18°C, set it to 24°C so it otherwise lets the heat of fermentation drive the temp up) or to the temp I want +/-0.3 or 0.4°C.

Absolutely magic.

Thanks, have stuck to fermenter. Also, the fridge has a lovely baby poo smell. Is this the sulphur smell I hold expect with lagers?

Back