Fresh Yeast At Bottling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nabs478

Reaction score
G'day.

I have just got myself a filter, and have used it for the first time this weekend with great results.

I am going to do some bottling tomorrow, and plan to filter it, and then add some fresh yeast. My main aim in doing this is to avoid the yeast cake at the bottomw of the bottle, which anooys me. I want to be able to drink the beer from the bottle if necessary, and not get large quantites of yeast in the last few mouthfuls. I also want to choose a yeast that is suitbale for bottling that will keep for a while.

Questions...

1. What would be the correct dosage of dry ale yeast, in say grams of yeast per litre of beer to be bottled, to achieved adequate carbonation, but not get the yeast cake?
2. Which yeasts, preferably dry yeasts, are good for this purpose, in terms of speed of carbonation, shelf life, and I would also like on that doesnt inpart much flavour to the beer.
3. Have any of you guys done this. If so how did it go?

Thanks

Pip

Firstly, what size (micron) filter do you have?

If its only 1 micron you will not have to add yeast, they will still carb up just take a little longer.

I have done this many times, however, so far my experience is that while the beer goes into the bottle absolutely glass clear, once it starts to carb up sediment forms and typically some yeast haze develops. In some instances you would never believe the beer had been filtered prior to bottling.

If your hoping this will allow you to drink from the bottle and not stir up sediment you will more than likely be dissapointed.

As I aid thats has been my experience so far.

Cheers,
BB

Heaps of my mates drink my beers straight from the bottle, even after ive explained to them that they are getting yeast with their beer... Only reason I dont do it is it affects the flavour very slightly..

Only reason I dont do it is it affects the flavour very slightly..
More than very slightly, you are missing out on the use of your most important flavour perception organ... your nose.

To my way of thinking you are showing disrespect to the
beer you have crafted yourself by drinking it straight from the bottle.

It deserves to be drunk from a glass.
Graeme

To my way of thinking you are showing disrespect to the
beer you have crafted yourself by drinking it straight from the bottle.

It deserves to be drunk from a glass.
Graeme

Completely agree.

My instructions to people who wish to try a beer of mine is to "Keep bottle upright at all times, pour into a glass leaving the yeast behind"

Instructions which I must say are nearly always universally ignored!

Common observations are -

Drunk straight from the bottle as mentioned above.
Bottles left to roll around car floor.
& "I'll just wack this in the freezer to get it really cold and in it goes sideways" :blink:

Oh well small steps, small steps :rolleyes:

Cheers,
BB

I completely agree that these beers should be drunk from a glass, but that doesnt mean that I want the restriction that they have to be. I also want the idiot proof feature for all those people who ignore instructions, so they can still enjoy the beer as much as possible. I am not really after advice on how people recommend I consume my beers, I am really after advice on how to get the least amount of yeast into a suitably carbed up bottle conditioned beer.

Yes - I have a 1micron filter. If I dont add any yeast, could someone estimate how long full carbonation will take? Can others confirm that this is true before I bottle 20 slabs of beer?

Yes - I have a 1micron filter. If I dont add any yeast, could someone estimate how long full carbonation will take? Can others confirm that this is true before I bottle 20 slabs of beer?

Pip,
With the 1 micron filter you will be fine, go ahead and bottle.
Carbonation can take up to a month if bottles are kept at a reasonable temp, but much longer if too cold.

Cheers,
BB

Option two would be to filter into a keg, force carbonate, then use a counter pressure bottle filler to the bottle. I have done this a couple of times with varying success. The best I have had so far is clear beer still carbonated after four weeks in the bottle.

Back