Fresh Wort Ipa Not All It's Made Out To Be!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And BTW who cares about a little haze....turn your lights down and save on electricity if it's bothering you B)
Amen to that. I think a lot of people around here put more emphasis on how a beer looks than how it tastes!

Anyone had a go at the NNL Sparkling Blonde fresh wort kit? How is it?

Hi Guys,

I just bought a Celtic Red Ale FWK and am planning to do it as my next brew. From earlier in this thread i read that diluting with 5L water gives OG=1.037

So by my maths the SG of the 15L kit is

(15SG + 5)/20 = 1.037
SG=1.049

As a few people have stated this kit feels quite watered down and the BJCP guidelines for this style give an OG of 1.044-1.060 i was thinking of just making this with the 15L kit and no extra water. Has anyone tried this? I definitely don't want to dilute it to 1.037 but this may be too far.

Cheers
Chris

Hi Guys,
I just bought a Celtic Red Ale FWK and am planning to do it as my next brew. From earlier in this thread i read that diluting with 5L water gives OG=1.037
So by my maths the SG of the 15L kit is
(15SG + 5)/20 = 1.037
SG=1.049
As a few people have stated this kit feels quite watered down and the BJCP guidelines for this style give an OG of 1.044-1.060 i was thinking of just making this with the 15L kit and no extra water. Has anyone tried this? I definitely don't want to dilute it to 1.037 but this may be too far.
Cheers
Chris

Chris
Save the maths & check the gravity of the kit yourself. Easiest way would be to drop your clean hydrometre in the wort before adding water. There are always going to be variations from batch to batch for various reasons. When we first started producing the Brewers Selection range we had to adjust the grain bill to get the OG to 1.052. More often than not that is where the OG was on our kits, & I am pretty sure that would still be the case.
Cheers
Gerard

Thanks for that info Gerard. I will definitely check it with a hydrometer before i start, but that wont be for a week or 2, and i didn't want to open the kit and risk infection to check it.

Cheers,
Chris

Latest posts

Back