Fresh Wort for making starters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Florian said:
Hose bottles off after you're done to prevent mould growing around the lid, and if possible place them all together while no chilling, even put a blanket over them if you want to be pedantic.
Because of the smaller volume they chill faster, somewhat negating the no (slow) chill effect, so the longer you can extend the chilling process and therefore pasteurisation the better.
Just bung 'em in an esky.

I like to utilise a combination of all the above.
2nd or 3rd sparge + trub filtered through a chux (unless it is a heavily hopped which then makes it not worth my time)
Boil that down to a volume that will fit into a multiple of 500 ml Grolsch bottles (ie 1, 1.5, 2, etc litres).
Pour into the bottles hot and leave out overnight to cool. They stay hot enough and long enough to "pasteurise".
I note the OG on the bottle so I know how much I need to dilute (with pre-boiled water I also keep on hand) to make a starter wort or, like Nick, a "pico" brew.

I use the No Chill method for my All Grain. When I'm transferring into my cube right after the boil, I also transfer whatever I need straight into an Erlinmyer flask and chill in an ice bath.

I pitch into the All Grain starter and let the starter do it's thing for 1 or 2 days, then it all goes back into the cube to ferment.

You might as well use the same wort from your boil to make a starter. Works well for me anyway.

Seems a likely place to post this question:

I collect a few flasks of wort to use as starters, as many do, about a month or so ago I did just this, the 2lt flasks have sat in the shed since then, 2 weeks ago I used 1, brew has fermented and no probs. (except for smashing my 2lt flask when drying it)

I went to use the second one this morning and I noticed a small spot of mould at the edge at the top, not huge, just a little spot, wort still smells OK... My thought is to boil it, let it cool, boil it again, let it cool, pitch yeast and see how it goes.

Persevere or piff it and make a new starter? Id like to keep it as it's the same wort as I'll be fermenting... but you know.. dont wanna lose the whole batch over $2 of DME either...

Unsure which way to go.

Most molds are very heat-susceptible. The odds are in your favor with a double boil. I can't say all, but I haven't yet found mention of one that would survive that.

I had forgotten i started this thread....anyway went about fiiling a 20lt cube with 5kg of malt mashed at 66c for an hr and boiled for an hour. From this I was able to get 3 x 1lts out of the tap for consecutive brews until...you guessed it, infected!!!

The no chill continer swelled up and i opened the lid and had a peek inside, gone...the fresh wort had gone bad. I cleaned and and sanitized the container to buggery.

If i was to make fresh wort again i would get a few squealer bottles, make the wort 1050 and dilute that to suit my starters. Keeping them individually in glass would be a better option...or just boil up 100g of dme. :ph34r:

Latest posts

Back