Fresh Is Best But.....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgriffin

Reaction score
I've got my own theories, but i'm wondering what people think the shelf-life of the ESB fresh wort kits are.
I've got one here that is now 12 months old, and am trying to decide whether to tie up the ferm fridge for a week brewing it, or just pouring it down the sink.

Whadda you reckon? I've checked it, and it looks fine...

if you've opened it.....It should start self fermenting any day soon.

if its stayed shut the whole time....drop a yeast in it and get it out of the way ASAP.

Yeah that's why i didn't want to open it. But if i wait till saturday to pitch it (when the fridge will be free) and it's off, then i've wasted two weeks preparing the lager starter from hell.

Hey jgriffin i've wondered the same thing, i brewed a few of the fresh kits and don't store them for to long, have ya tried hookin hookin up with them ?????? St peters or ESB they should be able to tell you whats the go.

if the sides are still caved in & theres no white stuff/ bubbles at the top, should be worth a try.

Throw it in the fermentor with some yeast it will be fine. Opening it up to check is not ideal, as RedBeard says if the cask isn't bloated out of shape it is good to go. The oldest I have come across was an Irish Red, belonging to my Barber, that was close to 1 yr old, and it tasted great.

Cheers
Gerard

oh yeah plenty of affiliation with St.Peter's & ESB, as we sell truckloads of Fresh Wort Kits every week!

www.ndbrewing.com.au

Latest posts

Back