Fresh From Blighty

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The handling between brewery and you would be quite different even though the age is fairly similar.

The one from London will not have been subjected to the same high temps as the DM one in shipping, sitting on a dock in Oz, sitting in a hot semi trailer and sitting in the sun on DM back dock. All that heat would age the DM bottle significantly IMHO.

Edit: Sorry, just realized I have become a master of the frickin obvious.

Those are the factors I assume are most likely to account for the difference. After all, there's an Equator between here and there. A few weeks of tropical temperatures aren't going to do it any good for starters.

My wife had exactly the same comment, Les. She barely drinks at all, and certainly not 'Aussie' beer. (Actually maybe beer should be in quotes there too...) But she lived in the UK for a while and got a taste for the local ales. When she tried these examples she was blown away by how good they were and expressed astonishment at the disparity between these and the local muck.

I'd say the locally bought Bombadier was on par with some of the better home-brewed bitters I've tried. But I've not tasted anything to equal those two bought in London.

Next up: London Pride.

Latest posts

Back