"fresh" apple juice cider not doing much after 5 days

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nosco said:
Not really a cider drinker but I would like to try a nice example of a good English or French cider.
Thatchers Gold is widely available as its distributed by Coopers, but is probably their least interesting cider. The good stuff doesn't tend to make it out of Somerset, and the really good stuff doesn't leave the village it's made in. It's still much more complex than most other ciders available. I've not seen Henneys over here, but if you do find it, it's worth trying. The English brands widely available here are industrial ciders (tend to use concentrate, sweetners, flavour enhancers etc. or worse) and generally are to cider what VB is to beer.

If ever you're up Daylesford way, the cidery is well worth a visit. They make it in the traditional English way (just juice and yeast and time) from heritage cider apples grown on their farm and a fair few are still ciders which are pretty rare, but worth discovering. A tasting paddle of all 7 ciders was $10 last time I visited.

Black hearts and sparrows sell a really nice French cider , I think it's called Pere Jules. Not cheap at $25/750ml but it is Christmas.

There was a thread on here about 2 years ago on different places to get juice. Might have been mostly vic though.

nosco said:
There was a thread on here about 2 years ago on different places to get juice. Might have been mostly vic though.
I have been looking for the last week for a thread liek this and cant find one.
Any hint s?

I have an Aldi cider fermenting atm, going a bit slow me thinks. If it ferments out too dry for my liking can i add potsium sorbate to the keg to stop it fermenting and then back sweeten with more juice?

Edit: actually i think someone already mentioned that in this thread.

My east Coast Cloudy Apple is @ day 8 - dropped 5 gravity points to 1.035

will check it again tonight.....

nosco said:
I have an Aldi cider fermenting atm, going a bit slow me thinks. If it ferments out too dry for my liking can i add potsium sorbate to the keg to stop it fermenting and then back sweeten with more juice?

Edit: actually i think someone already mentioned that in this thread.
You can, but if its kegged and stored cold, its easier to just back sweeten in the keg as the yeast will be pretty lazy at cold (sub 8C) temps. It will eventually ferment out, but it'll take a while, and you can just add more when needed. If you add it at the original SG, the alc % should stay the same. Apple juice or pear and apple work well and add complexity, plus you don't have to worry about preservatives any more. Cordial can also be used, but make sure you like it before you add it. Sugar syrup also works.

You can also back sweeten in the glass and that might be the way to go until you find the right amount & combo of juice / cordial / sugar syrup that produces a cider you like.

The other option is 'stop' fermentation by crash chilling then filtering and kegging once the desired sweetness level is reached. Again, the remaining yeast will continue to ferment, but slowly

wareemba said:
Any one tried Cedar Creek at Thirlmere?

http://cedarcreekorchards.com.au/juice

They offered 'fresh off the press' for $1.50 in byo container... No additives!

It's a long trip, but I can't find anything closer to Hornsby?
I get about 200L from them every month and it is good juice. I have also sent most of the guys from thay area there as well.

boonchu said:
I get about 200L from them every month and it is good juice. I have also sent most of the guys from thay area there as well.
oh that is great news, so it will be worth the trip...

I was just going to take two 23L tubs, that way i can do a main batch and two side batches :)

so i am assuming i sanitise the tubs before i head down there? any other tips to picking up bulk juice? how do you carry 200L?

I use 25L cubes. And yes clean and sanitise and pitch the same day. It is live juice so treat with care

Hi all,

My ferm fridge was going to be empty during the Great Aussie Road Trip over the Silly Season so I had my first crack at cider. Four 2L Aldi apple juice bottles with a sachet of Mangrove Jacks Cider Yeast split between them.
By the coming weekend they'll have been in there at 16C for four weeks.

Will cider oxidise if there's some splashing during packaging or is it less of an issue than it is with beer?

Back