Fremantle/perth Folks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcraig20

Reaction score
We're moving to WA in a couple of weeks for work, and need to start looking for a place to live.

Work is in Hilton, so Im looking for something around Fremantle.

Any locals got any advice about where is a good/bad/cheap/interesting/convenient/etc place to live?

I too will be moving there soon and would appreciate any advice. No car, and will be attending ECU at Mt Lawley and Joondalup.

Are you buying? Or renting?

Hilton is a great place, but mainly weatherboard homes that need doing up. Fremantle is quite expensive. Beaconsfield is also quite expensive but a great place to live very close to fremantle. Another place is (were I brought years ago) is Hamilton Hill, used to be rough as and parts still are. Its the largest suburb with most dwellings in the cockburn area! Benefits, close to freeway, close to beach, close to Fremantle! Hamilton Hill also you have bigger houses, bigger properties. Further East from Hami Hill (as the locals call it) is Coobellup (Coobi) worth a look. If I was to buy again that is were I would at this point. Other places to look are North east of Fremantle Bicton ($$$), East Fremantle ($$$$) Palymra (small houses, on sub dived blocks $$$$$). Melville is worth a look, big suburb nice old houses on decent blocks very leafy.

Presently we rent in Coogee (paying way to much for what we have) moving soon. Probably Hami Hill.

Were we are living at the moment you can leave your door open. Hami Hill leave nothing open! It will walk away!

Thanks Katie.

Looking to rent at first - might buy once we have the house here paid off, but thats a few years off yet.

Ive done a little looking myself so far - Coolbellup looks OK for what we want. We can get a 3 bedroom place fairly cheaply, and its still walking distance to work. Looked closer to the city and it seems too expensive (Im a cheap *******). Hamilton Hill sounds OK, but Im going to be away every other fortnight, so somewhere a little 'safer' might be in order. We wont be moving to Peppermint Grove any time soon though!

Rockingham looks good, but too far away.

Thanks Katie.

Looking to rent at first - might buy once we have the house here paid off, but thats a few years off yet.

Ive done a little looking myself so far - Coolbellup looks OK for what we want. We can get a 3 bedroom place fairly cheaply, and its still walking distance to work. Looked closer to the city and it seems too expensive (Im a cheap *******). Hamilton Hill sounds OK, but Im going to be away every other fortnight, so somewhere a little 'safer' might be in order. We wont be moving to Peppermint Grove any time soon though!

Rockingham looks good, but too far away.

Hami Hill is great, never had any trouble really. Coolbellup is the same. Both suburbs are growing and you need quite alot of money to buy there now! Coobi isnt to far from Hilton. Hilton is more expensive for what you get. We could end up being neighbours we are moving at the end of November! From that area on a Saturday it only takes 20 minutes to get to the city. But once in the Fremantle area who needs the city. We have all the good pubs! good luck with the move. Lets us know when you get here! Introduce you to some brewers etc!

[quote name='O'Henry' post='528182' date='Sep 29 2009, 12:33 AM']I too will be moving there soon and would appreciate any advice. No car, and will be attending ECU at Mt Lawley and Joondalup.[/quote]

You have a difficult one, fantastic if you were only in Mt Lawley. Mt Lawley is a great place to live and many rental options. Mt Lawley, Inglewood, Highgate, North Perth, Northbridge! Joondalup on the other hand is way up north. I wouldnt live there but many do and love it!

Hami Hill is great, never had any trouble really. Coolbellup is the same. Both suburbs are growing and you need quite alot of money to buy there now! Coobi isnt to far from Hilton. Hilton is more expensive for what you get. We could end up being neighbours we are moving at the end of November! From that area on a Saturday it only takes 20 minutes to get to the city. But once in the Fremantle area who needs the city. We have all the good pubs! good luck with the move. Lets us know when you get here! Introduce you to some brewers etc!

That'd be great Katie. Thanks again - I'll have to buy you a beer when I get over there.

For ECU, you could rent around Bassendean/Bayswater for not too expensive, and that is nice and close to ECU Mt Lawley via public transport. Problem is, Joondalup isn't exactly close, so you'd be better off basing where you rent around where you'll be spending most of your time.
Student housing might be the best option though ;)

For ECU, you could rent around Bassendean/Bayswater for not too expensive, and that is nice and close to ECU Mt Lawley via public transport. Problem is, Joondalup isn't exactly close, so you'd be better off basing where you rent around where you'll be spending most of your time.

Also if you choose Bassendean you will be closet to my favourite retailer!

There is two of us moving over, one at each campus... I imagine that we will look closer to the city and just have to travel a bit more for Joondalup.

Good idea! The Joondalup campus is a hop step and a jump from the train, so that makes sense :)

Back