Freezing Frsh Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dried hops of any kind are fine in the freezer. Make sure you let them warm up to room temp. before you open them to stop them getting wet from condensing water out of the air.
MFS.

Cheers for the tip

should send some fresh hops up my way in burnie for me to experiment with :p

Encapsulate your hops in ice they dont dry out this way

just use a plastic mould add 14 gram lots and add water and freeze .

Cryogenic suspenion of your hops in a soluble solution is the modern home brewers way to preserve thier hops precious oils and aromas ;)

pumpy :)

There is a pic with this comment - post #13.

Is it just me or is this a brilliant idea? Does anyone else do this or is everyone else an avid dryer of hops?

It seems an elegant and parsimonious solution.

I really can't see how you can go past a cheap vacuum-sealer. I got a Maxkon/similar/rebranded one online for like $60 after the other half drowned the Sunbeam... pump longevity aside, it is actually way better, larger, locks down, has 'seal only' and 'cancel' functions and a fraction of the cost.

If you vac-pack and freeze immediately, I think that is the best storage you can give your hops. I wouldn't want to re-hydrate them with extra water and then freeze, as to my mind it *could* cause extra cell damage and release more chlorophyll type flavours into your beer. I could also be full of BS.

I wouldn't want to re-hydrate them with extra water and then freeze, as to my mind it *could* cause extra cell damage and release more chlorophyll type flavours into your beer.

My understanding of post #13 is that you pick them fresh from the vine, put them in some water and freeze immediately.
I agree that a vac sealer is probably the best option, but even $60 is a stretch for me for something I don't consider essential to my AG process.

I am just investigating convenient ways of dealing with them once picked that doesn't include drying them first.

Cheers for the feedback though :D

If you vac-pack and freeze immediately, I think that is the best storage you can give your hops. I wouldn't want to re-hydrate them with extra water and then freeze, as to my mind it *could* cause extra cell damage and release more chlorophyll type flavours into your beer. I could also be full of BS.

Hmm, well I dried and froze the flowers in zip lock bags from my first year Chinook last year and used them in a pale ale as aroma additions. I just pulled them out of the freezer and dumped them in the boil, from memory. It was a 40L batch and virtually ruined by (I assume) my hops by giving the brew a real vegetal flavour/aroma :(

I'm looking for alternate solutions so I don't have the same issue, in the unlikely event of getting flowers this year due to a really late start to my bine growing for some reason.

Latest posts

Back