Freezer Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prawned

Reaction score
Will be going to the good guys tomorrow to have a look at a few chest freezers.. Not sure what size to get etc.. I want to build a collar for it to drill holes for taps. Can anyone help me out with building a collar? and help me out choosing a freezer? the 216ltr one on the good guys website looks like it could have my name on it! should be able to fit a bucket load of kegs in there!

Is building the collar a rather simple job? Im not all that great with tools lol. what do i need to buy to get it all done?

The main reason for going for a freezer is cause my fridge will only fit 3 kegs in it.. and i plan on having atleast 6 kegs full and ready to go in the next few months. plus it would use less power than a fridge right?

what about freezers with lights in the lid? Can i just cut them wires? or will they have enough slack in the cable to be able to put the collar on

Evening prawned. When I built my keg freezer I found the same problem, but I found a bit of slack in the lead where it came out of the compressor. I just had to undo a cable grip and feed a bit more lead up to the lid. :D

hey prawned,
there are other options if you don't want to build a collar, you can run your lines through the wall of the freezer (dons flame suit from the warranty worriers) to your Tower/Font/Bar etc

my two bobs, see THE BAR for some pics of how i did mine.

cheers
yard

As Mika posted, a search will work wonders. His link is a google search of AHB and there is plenty of good stuff on here, but there is a lot of info with a regular google search as well of course and I found plenty of good pics using google image.

If you are concerned about the wiring to the lid and don't want to cut it, consider making a "wedge" instead of a full collar so that the lid is propped open by the wedge but still completely sealed to the outside. This way is a little more effort to get the size and shape correct and might be a bit harder to attach but it means you dont have to worry about removing the lid at all. Other down sides are you can't sit things on top of your lid and there isnt as much height available for kegs on the low side (back). Meh, its just another way of doing it. ;)

Latest posts

Back