Freezer Failure

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobW

The Little Abbotsford Craftbrewery
Reaction score
My chest freezer, which I run at fridge temps using a temp controller, has stopped working. :angry: :huh:
The compressor is running but it's unable to achieve any cooling at all. It's an old unit that doesn't owe me much - is it worth spending money on (regassing maybe) or do I put the money towards a replacement?

Rob.

I've got a (fridge only) fridge that is displaying similar symptoms. Fails to achieve temps anywhere below 8 degrees no matter how far you drop the thermostat.

I'm picking scoring another fridge would wind up a cheaper option. Fridgies have a habit of laughing at any domestic job and want to charge the earth. <_<

Time to scan the Trading Post. :ph34r:

Warren -

Sounds like blocked refrigerant path. Fridgie diagnosed this as the cause of a recent failure on my son's fridge (same symptoms). Said it would cost more to repair than replace. Apparently from storage or non-constant use some oxidation accurs inside the tubes. Think there is a fridgie on here occasionally who may further enlighten us if he sees this post.

Cheers Screwtop.

Had a sinking feeling it would be classed as something terminal. Bad news for me. This fridge is all refrigerator space and big. Was really growing attached to it. :(

Warren -

COuld be a blocked drier or it's dumped its gas. Has it had any work done to it before?

As warren says, we tend to avoid domestic jobs at any expense except the odd love jove here and there.

timmy said:
COuld be a blocked drier or it's dumped its gas. Has it had any work done to it before?

As warren says, we tend to avoid domestic jobs at any expense except the odd love jove here and there.
[post="104194"][/post]​

No service history I know of but I've only had it a couple of years. It's pretty old but was running well. I'll be sorry to see it go because 700 litre units aren't cheap to replace. What sort of cost is involved if it needs regassing?

RobW said:
My chest freezer, which I run at fridge temps using a temp controller, has stopped working. :angry: :huh:
The compressor is running but it's unable to achieve any cooling at all. It's an old unit that doesn't owe me much - is it worth spending money on (regassing maybe) or do I put the money towards a replacement?
[post="104176"][/post]​
The problem with chest freezers is that the cooling coil is built into the chasis walls and can't be accessed for servicing, the coils are prone to corrosion leading to gas leaks. Depending on the degree of corrosion the gas my only last a week or possibly months.

I purchased one from ebay that the seller said was working, the motor ran ok but when i got it home it didn't chill. The technical advise I got informed me to try get an upright freezer. The seller was happy to refund my money and take the freezer back.

We have a fridge here at work which isnt cooling well. It seems to be running constantly, and the first 2 feet of the cooling coil inside is freezing up, where the rest of the coil is barely cool to the touch.

It looks like a blockage. Is it worth my while asking for it if they get another unit?

barfridge said:
We have a fridge here at work which isnt cooling well. It seems to be running constantly, and the first 2 feet of the cooling coil inside is freezing up, where the rest of the coil is barely cool to the touch.

It looks like a blockage. Is it worth my while asking for it if they get another unit?
[post="104230"][/post]​

Its not a blockage. That is a sure sign of it being short on charge.

Blocked circuits are no where near as common as gas leaks.

From what little I know about fridges, and our mate Timmy will be able to sort it out better. If the start of the coil is cold and the rest of it is barely warm, most likely the gas is leaking and most people won't touch old fridges coz of the out of date gas in them... buy another one.
If the cooling coil is more or less the same temp across it.... may just be a dodgy thermo.
Expensive either way.

Barfridge Know a fridgie who does domestic work, PM me if you want his details.... haven't used him, but was referred by a HBS.

Latest posts

Back