Free Hop Plants

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings everyone, just checking if anyone would like some Cascade hop vines. I split my vine a few months ago and have a few (9) plants potted up and ready to go. I am in the Northern suburbs of Melbourne near the airport if anyone would like to collect them. The plant is quite prolific and I got a lot more than I really need from this years harvest. I would accept a couple of bottles of your best brew in return, but that is not strictly necessary. Cheers, Looking forward to your responses.
Chris

Hi Chris, welcome to AHB. What beers do you make? Thanks for the offer.

Greetings , I am an extract brewer who uses dry pale malt and specialty malts etc. as I find the whole idea of all grain brews a bit daunting and don't want to scale up with all the gear required for that.
I make various types of beer, all ales, the most common being Pale Ales, Amber Ales , Porters and Alt. I have made some Belgian Golden Strongs and Trappist Dubbels which were quite nice. Also made some Stout, but haven't been really convinced by the recipes I have used.
I also have a soft spot for Simcoe hops which I have shoe-horned into my various preferred styles. Although I have been brewing in this manner for almost fifteen years, I don't think I have made exactly the same beer twice. I am definitely not a scientific brewer.
Cheers to everyone, they really are good hop plants and would look good in anyone's garden. If I don't get any takers I will probably just let them die as I have no room for them.

Greetings , I am an extract brewer who uses dry pale malt and specialty malts etc. as I find the whole idea of all grain brews a bit daunting and don't want to scale up with all the gear required for that.
I make various types of beer, all ales, the most common being Pale Ales, Amber Ales , Porters and Alt. I have made some Belgian Golden Strongs and Trappist Dubbels which were quite nice. Also made some Stout, but haven't been really convinced by the recipes I have used.
I also have a soft spot for Simcoe hops which I have shoe-horned into my various preferred styles. Although I have been brewing in this manner for almost fifteen years, I don't think I have made exactly the same beer twice. I am definitely not a scientific brewer.
Cheers to everyone, they really are good hop plants and would look good in anyone's garden. If I don't get any takers I will probably just let them die as I have no room for them.
You might look into partial mash brewing. You end up putting a bit more grain in the bag. and hold it at mashing temps longer than you would steep grains, but it gives more flexibility. Even after I largely switched to all grain, I've sometimes done partial mashes.

Simcoe is a nice hop. If you're using it in all the above styles, some of the beers would be idiosyncratic, but not necessarily bad. The BJCP stye police might knock on your door if you toss Simcoe into a Belgian Dubbel

Latest posts

Back