Frankos Anawbs Experience

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be too concerned Franko, we all know how bloody good you are.

Any way I don't believe comps to be fool proof for the most anyway. I once observed a friend... who shall remain nameless... an AHB member also. Repackage 2 Little Creatures Pale ale stubbies into a Tall neck and added a bit of sugar and yeast for carbonation. What do you know he came 4th for the American Pale Ale style in an un-named Comp. It proves some people are not really great judges and wouldn't know quality if it bit them on the bum, but also in this case it proves cheats never prosper either.

Hmmm... the honour system is alive and well obviously :rolleyes:

LCPA is good, but i'm surprised that somebody would go to that length to prove a point.... Why would you bother when you can get a much more flavoursome beer with loads of aroma from using nice fresh hops.

I wonder what would happen if this said person was to get a couple of longnecks of SNPA and re-package it!

I see nothing wrong at all with bringing a discussion like this to a forum.

Thats what forums are for. Discussing things in a civilised manner.

johnno

All depends really Johnno.

I understand where you're coming from but I'm inclined to think that this thread's started out as one person's arse-bleed that's gone totally OT, particularly now people are quoting potential skullduggery in HB comps without any real proof and I'm inclined to agree with what Ross just said.

Personally I think the pure HB content of it has to be questioned.

I've never seen too many brewers make beer from sour grapes.

Perhaps better on a wine forum. :lol:

Warren -

Off topic or not. Anyone who enters a "Joke" entry into a craft brewing competition, whether a rebottled commercial beer, an infected beer or whatever, does the home brewing / Craft brewing fraternity NO FAVOURS. :angry:

I doubt Franko would be laughing at this even though I understand his frustrations regarding his disqualification.

Anyone who puts a fake entry into a comp and doesnt take into account that these are not run by a big multinational or commercial brewing company is undermining our craft unecessarily. If you dont like the comps....dont enter them, but dont sabotage them.

ATOMT

It proves some people are not really great judges and wouldn't know quality if it bit them on the bum...
I agree wholeheartedly. I remember entering an infected lager as a belgian pale in one comp, just for a laugh. It came fourth, with a score of 118 (or thereabouts), and comments such as "great, tart finish" and "excellent effort". I guess it comes down to personal tastes for many "untrained" volunteers - not that I am denegrating anyone who gives up their time to judge a beer comp, it just seems that we have a long way to go before our homebrew competitions can truly rival some international counterparts.

I do not understand what drives people to do the above, take an infected beer and pay to enter it into a comp in an attempt to fool the judges, then accept the award given???????

Would have thought the satisfaction would have been in catching out the judges. In which case you could have gotten your jollies by bringing to their notice the fact that you "Einstien" had caught them out. You could have then also returned your award and requested your entry payment be refunded.

And what sort of flea denegrates amateur judges for not being able to detect a cheats entry in a comp, supporting the cheat.

For FS it's time this was airlocked. This thread started out as Franko's ANAWBS experience which we all know to be fact not like the above drivvle.

On the subject of International Comps and local comps, last year I sent a Wheat Beer to the US for judging in a major club comp. The same beer was judged in the 2005 State comp. Apart from the yanks being a bit more descriptive in their comments, there was no appreciable differences between the judging standards bewteen the State and The US.

Judges have to start off somewhere and it is the responsibility of the chief judge and more "wiser souls" to guide new comers to the art. Helpfull feedback to the comp organisers helps us all.

It up to the craft if you want to "light a candle or curse the darkness". Don't like comps. here's an idea, run one yourself !

Off topic or not. Anyone who enters a "Joke" entry into a craft brewing competition, whether a rebottled commercial beer, an infected beer or whatever, does the home brewing / Craft brewing fraternity NO FAVOURS.

I doubt Franko would be laughing at this even though I understand his frustrations regarding his disqualification.

Anyone who puts a fake entry into a comp and doesnt take into account that these are not run by a big multinational or commercial brewing company is undermining our craft unnecessarily. If you dont like the comps....dont enter them, but dont sabotage them.

ATOMT

While I agree with your sentiment - to a point - I actually think my infected entry did do this particular competition a big favour. I informed the organisers after the event and, after a good laugh at the absurdity of the situation, they decided to improve their standard for choosing judges in the future. It may have been a rather unorthodox, and admittedly, unintentional, method of improving the calibre of judges - but it worked, from what I could tell.

One of my biggest beefs with competitions is the apparent ability for anyone to approach the judges and say "I brew beer... let me judge". I have helped to organise a few competitions and judged in several state level comps and unfortunately it appears that in a desperate bid to get all the judging over in the minimal time necessary, many organisers simply pull in as many "potential judges" as possible without paying heed to the need for experienced tasters to make up the bulk of the judging.

It seems to be a prevalent belief that beer judging is in some way inferior to wine judging and is essentially easier, therefore the skill level neednt be as high. I find that there is as much depth of character in beer as there is in wine and commend the US based BJCP in their highly successful efforts to raise the bar in beer judging. I would love to see this program adopted more fully in Australian beer competitions, rather than the impotent lip-service they seem to give the name, and would congratulate anyone who would take the time needed to bring this method, including a means of properly training potential judges, to Australia.

Unfortunately, the Australian homebrew hobby is only just starting to break out of its infancy, and considering the added hindrance of the cost of completing such a program, it may be many years yet before a large fraternity of Australian BCJP judges becomes more than just a pipe-dream. I know that if I had the money spare, I would complete such a program rather than wasting the money of trying to come up with the next gadget that will improve the efficiency of my backyard brewery by an entire 1.3%.

Hmm it appears I have gone off on a tangent to a post that had already taken such a turn I apologise.

Oh, and screwtop the beer came fourth not an award place. And yes, if the beer had won an award, then I would have ensured it went to the rightful place winner instead, including all accolades. As I said above, I did inform the organisers and I am certain that if I hadnt offered any acquired awards back, they would have demanded them at any rate. As it stands, I also took out first and third place in the same category for a rather delectable dubbel and a tripel, respectively.

And for those of you who think I was denigrating amateur competitions, then re-read this post. If that still fails to satisfy, then brew yourself up a sense of humour.

While I agree with your sentiment - to a point - I actually think my infected entry did do this particular competition a big favour. I informed the organisers after the event and, after a good laugh at the absurdity of the situation, they decided to improve their standard for choosing judges in the future. It may have been a rather unorthodox, and admittedly, unintentional, method of improving the calibre of judges - but it worked, from what I could tell.

How much like a belgian pale did it taste?

How much like a belgian pale did it taste?
Not much at all. Very medicinal and sour. In fact, I threw the remainder of the batch away. Believe me when I say if it had tasted like a belgian pale, it would NEVER have ended up lawn fertiliser :p .

This turn is an interesting thread in its own right, could a moderator split it please?

Cheers Ross....

I know that if I had the money spare, I would complete such a program rather than wasting the money of trying to come up with the next gadget that will improve the efficiency of my backyard brewery by an entire 1.3%.

My Bjcp course cost me sweet bugger all ( say Sixty bucks and time )
So what are you waiting for........ :blink:
Oh...so to keep this thread on topic, i hope you told em to get 'Far Kurnelled Franko' !

Ok guys enoughs enough
its getting way off topic Im 1000% over it
l
lets nip this thread in the butt
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back