Frankos Anawbs Experience

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just very dissapointed that they took my cash and displayed my work for their own benifit.

Due to this term, kindly posted by Screwtop in the terms and conditions/rules, they can actually display your work as they now OWN it.

10. All entries and fees shall become the property of the Australian National Amateur Wine and
Beer Show.

Yes, quite poor form for an amateur comp.

I never enter anything with a condition like this in it for this very reason. I would be horrified spending hours on artistic creativity and then giving it away like that.

Better luck in the future Franko.

I think that they now own the physical labels that Franko has sent them but I doubt that they would own the image.

Franko would still have the copyright for the intellectual work. They wouldn't be able to turn around and start selling the things and I don't think they would have anything like that in mind.

I think the 'we own all submissions' is just to try and prevent people asking for their stuff to be sent back, that would be a nightmare for the organisers who by the looks of it have run a pretty good show.

Franko would still have the copyright for the intellectual work.t have run a pretty good show.

Would he? :unsure:

I'm sure Harvey Comics would like to know that when they see the unauthorised use of Casper The Friendly Ghost on the Labels? I'm sure there's other breaches too. ;)

I'm sure Franko sought their permission though. :)

Warren -

Graphic1.jpg

Ripper labels Franko (apart from the German spelling breach, should read - Schwarzbier)

Ripper labels Franko (apart from the German spelling breach, should read - Schwarzbier)

Probably cost the half-point.
Begs the question; who was the other judge????
:rolleyes:

Franko would still have the copyright for the intellectual work.t have run a pretty good show.

Would he? :unsure:

I'm sure Harvey Comics would like to know that when they see the unauthorised use of Casper The Friendly Ghost on the Labels? I'm sure there's other breaches too. ;)

I'm sure Franko sought their permission though. :)

Warren -

I questioned Franko on that one too.....apparently has a remarkable likeness, but is not the same....

Casper has a rounder head and is not as long...

I questioned Franko on that one too.....apparently has a remarkable likeness, but is not the same....

Casper has a rounder head and is not as long...

:D

My God! Your right Linz.

It looks so much like Casper and yet somethings definitely different.........................

I KNOW! I KNOW!!!!..........................its the eyes! CASPER has Blue Eyes!

cover_casper_eyes.jpg

That would stand up in Court I reckon.

:D

ATOMT

I wouldn't be too concerned Franko, we all know how bloody good you are.

Any way I don't believe comps to be fool proof for the most anyway. I once observed a friend... who shall remain nameless... an AHB member also. Repackage 2 Little Creatures Pale ale stubbies into a Tall neck and added a bit of sugar and yeast for carbonation. What do you know he came 4th for the American Pale Ale style in an un-named Comp. It proves some people are not really great judges and wouldn't know quality if it bit them on the bum, but also in this case it proves cheats never prosper either.

Any way I don't believe comps to be fool proof for the most anyway. I once observed a friend... who shall remain nameless... an AHB member also. Repackage 2 Little Creatures Pale ale stubbies into a Tall neck and added a bit of sugar and yeast for carbonation. What do you know he came 4th for the American Pale Ale style in an un-named Comp. It proves some people are not really great judges and wouldn't know quality if it bit them on the bum, but also in this case it proves cheats never prosper either.

Maybe it shows that LCPA is a good beer.

Or not so good once someone adds sugar

Or not so good once someone adds sugar

And oxidises it by opening, pouring and resealing it.

An interesting thread to say the least.

Having sat in on the judging for the mashmaster mashpaddle I have to comment on the experience of the judges and the usefulness of BJCP judging guidelines.

Two judging independently scoring beers within 1.5 to 1/2 a point within each other, consistently, hard to ask for much more. Sometimes the final scores would be exactly the same. For a scale of 50 points an average variance of 1 to 3% over 26 odd beers (the number of beers might be off one or two beers) is nothing. All the data I have seen (from large multinational food companies) shows that expert sensory tasting panels can only at their best achieve such a small variance between judges.

As an aside MashMaster is considering running a comp to design a new mashmaster logo. It might allow the artistic component of AHB to exercise their competitive nature. But more on that at a later date.

I wouldn't be too concerned Franko, we all know how bloody good you are.

I am afraid to say, that the above says more about your friend than the judging. I can imagine the complexities of running a comp the size of ANWABS. Somethings will fall between the cracks , because we are trying to run comps with very limited resources and we all have jobs etc to look after. I can understand Frankos frustration, however I'm sure it could be put right with an appropriate response from the organisers.

It proves some people are not really great judges and wouldn't know quality if it bit them on the bum...
I agree wholeheartedly. I remember entering an infected lager as a belgian pale in one comp, just for a laugh. It came fourth, with a score of 118 (or thereabouts), and comments such as "great, tart finish" and "excellent effort". I guess it comes down to personal tastes for many "untrained" volunteers - not that I am denegrating anyone who gives up their time to judge a beer comp, it just seems that we have a long way to go before our homebrew competitions can truly rival some international counterparts.

I know this has gone a bit off topic, but don't really see what you're eluding to here. Are you claiming it should have got 1st place if judged correctly? I'd personally be dissapointed if my APA got judged behind Little Creatures & there are many brewers making finer APA's than I am. LC is a great commercial offering, but we as craft brewers have the ability to produce beers better than any commercial offering, especially one that's been rebottled & primed with sugar. I'm dismayed that anyone would be that shallow to try & get accolades for something they didn't brew, what's the point? Not like there's huge prizes at stake & he's going to look pretty damn stupid when friends come over to try his award winning brews...

++++

& to get back on topic, bad luck Franko, but to me it is fairly clear that it was a comp for labels off entered beers.
I think the gripes could have been better dealt with, through correspondance with the organisers & if no satisfactory outcome achieved, (as in refund of entry requested & refused, or whatever), then sure, bring it to the forum. Remember, these are amatuer comps run by people giving up their free time for no reward other than satisfaction of seeing a job well done. Negative feedback like this, made public before trying to reach an amicable understanding/settlement, IMO does more damage than good to all parties.
I make stuff up's in my business, but the customer comes to me first & we endeavour to resolve the problem. If the problem isn't resolved to the customers satisfaction, then I'd expect to see adverse publicity posted here - but if the first I knew about it, was seeing a post here, I'd be pretty dissapointed...

cheers Ross...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back