Forum needs to be active so let's talk political.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
let's not talk about politics.
the forum needs to be about brewing, not politics.
i hope admin ban any further political posts, i've seen it almost destroy a couple of previously happy forums over the past few years.

I don't think Admin have much interest in Aus politics/ The USA owners/admin have sufficient local political issues not to be concerned about ours.
Keep it civil and within the rules, and go for it.

Interesting that although Scomo certainly deserved to lose, they did so massively. Nevertheless, Labor shouldn't have too much to brag about, because their overall vote also went down somewhat, with the losses taken up by the Teals (supposedly independent, but really all a member of a party which is not a party). They'll make life difficult for whoever forms government, and I heard today on the ABC Radio that they have already presented a list of their demands.
Interesting times ahead.

i've seen it almost destroy a couple of previously happy forums over the past few years.

That says more about the emotional maturity of the members than the topic. Shared interests don't necessarily mean shared politics.
Its OK to disagree, it need not end in a tantrum.
I'd argue its actually a strength to engage hot button issues and the discourse remain civil, shows you're a grown up.

By far the most important policy issue the new govt will have to contend with is summarised in this 1:30 min video from 2017 (it was important then, but has gone critical now. And it falls to Albanese's government to deal with it, or the US will remove him).

(from Utopia S03E07 'On the Defence ')

PS. The most interesting revelation I have read in the 36 hours since he came to power is that Albanese, despite what he said in his campaign, apparently is not of Italian ethnic heritage, but Albanian! Now there's a story or three to written about that fudge that the mainstream media won't touch.

let's not talk about politics.
the forum needs to be about brewing, not politics.
i hope admin ban any further political posts, i've seen it almost destroy a couple of previously happy forums over the past few years.
I think we'll be OK discussing politics. Just don't mention which homebrew retailer you prefer.

PS. The most interesting revelation I have read in the 36 hours since he came to power is that Albanese, despite what he said in his campaign, apparently is not of Italian ethnic heritage, but Albanian! Now there's a story or three to written about that fudge that the mainstream media won't touch.

I suppose that's from some Facebook rant
A bit of fact checking helps
Quote from Wikipedia (Anthony Albanese - Wikipedia)

Albanese was born on 2 March 1963 at St Margaret's Hospital in the Sydney suburb of Darlinghurst.[9][10] He is the son of Carlo Albanese and Maryanne Ellery. His mother was an Australian of Irish descent, while his Italian father was from Barletta in Apulia. The surname Albanese means "Albanian" in Italian, in reference to the Arbëreshë people of the part of southeastern Italy where his father came from;[11] however, Albanese himself has never confirmed whether he has any ethnic Albanian ancestry. His parents met in March 1962 on a voyage from Sydney to Southampton on the Sitmar Line's TSS Fairsky, where his father worked as a steward, but did not continue their relationship afterwards, going their separate ways.[12][13][14] Coincidentally, the Fairsky was also the ship on which Albanese's future parliamentary colleague Julia Gillard and her family migrated to South Australia from the United Kingdom in 1966.[15][16]

I'd wager that for the overwhelming majority of us, whoever is in government (at least historically) makes very little difference to our day-to-day lives, irrespective of labor/liberal. There's the odd major policy decision that makes a big difference in the long term (Medicare/Superannuation), but no one has had the gumption to make any big policy decisions like that since I've been an eligible voter (and thats been a year or 25).

JD

I think we'll be OK discussing politics. Just don't mention which homebrew retailer you prefer.
Could you imagine if the two retailers went into politics?

What would their policies be?

A generous keg subsidy scheme?
One would proudly urge buy Australian made kegs -the other possibly a "greener" front saying sav the environment - buy cheap recycled kegs?

Imagine how much heat this forum would get if you had users arguing their extremeist loyalty to either the KKA (Keg King Australia) or the KLP (Kegland Party)

Thank god I'm not a moderator anymore

Re the UAP, Clive spent $70M. From 2019 they gained just over one percent of voters who number about 17M. That works out to over $400 for every added voter. Presumably the first $10M was spent more effectively than the last $10M, when voters were sick and tired of seeing the face of "the next prime minister."

I suppose that's from some Facebook rant
A bit of fact checking helps
Quote from Wikipedia (Anthony Albanese - Wikipedia)

Albanese was born on 2 March 1963 at St Margaret's Hospital in the Sydney suburb of Darlinghurst.[9][10] He is the son of Carlo Albanese and Maryanne Ellery. His mother was an Australian of Irish descent, while his Italian father was from Barletta in Apulia. The surname Albanese means "Albanian" in Italian, in reference to the Arbëreshë people of the part of southeastern Italy where his father came from;[11] however, Albanese himself has never confirmed whether he has any ethnic Albanian ancestry. His parents met in March 1962 on a voyage from Sydney to Southampton on the Sitmar Line's TSS Fairsky, where his father worked as a steward, but did not continue their relationship afterwards, going their separate ways.[12][13][14] Coincidentally, the Fairsky was also the ship on which Albanese's future parliamentary colleague Julia Gillard and her family migrated to South Australia from the United Kingdom in 1966.[15][16]

I known a bit about Albanians through family connections for years. And that's saying something because there aren't many of them. But they have an, how do I say it, 'influence' far beyond their numbers.

No, didn't hear it on Facebook. It was reported in the media. Eg:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ny-Albaneses-election-win-origin-surname.html
The Albanian government is delighted one of theirs is our PM. And before you go off on a dead-end tangent - just because his father was born in Italy doesn't mean that he is Italian. I was born in Australia. That doesn't mean I'm an aborigine. Get it.

As I said in my previous post, Albo is of Albanian ethnic heritage. And if you know anything about Albanians in Australia that should raise some lines of inquiry regarding how he came to be in the position he finds himself in today. But that's another story for you to 'fact check' yourself.

EDIT: Also confirmed by CNN (Google Translate is your friend):
https://www.gazetaexpress.com/gazet...i-i-australise-eshte-arberesh-sikur-edhe-une/

Last edited:
I'd wager that for the overwhelming majority of us, whoever is in government (at least historically) makes very little difference to our day-to-day lives, irrespective of labor/liberal. There's the odd major policy decision that makes a big difference in the long term (Medicare/Superannuation), but no one has had the gumption to make any big policy decisions like that since I've been an eligible voter (and thats been a year or 25).

JD

Geez, mate. You need to get out more.

Well Catherine Deves has new pronouns.
Was and Were Bahahaha
Palmers campaign was simply a tax dodge.
I think its a credit to our education system that the stupid and the gullible are down to 7%
Unfortunately the red headed shrew is still in with a chance. Every court needs its jester I suppose.
If the Libs elect Dutton as leader they have learnt nothing, but at least it will finish them off.
Perhaps the Teals will be the Phoenix party.

Geez, mate. You need to get out more.

i was referring to federal not state government.

but you’re right, I don’t get out much. Work/study/family keeps me pretty occupied.

If the Libs elect Dutton as leader they have learnt nothing, but at least it will finish them off.
Mate, I wish I shared your optimism. I think we are seeing a whole new evolution of the Liberal Party. It will become an even more hard-right Christian version of the US Republicans. The Vic Libs today kicked out the anti-abortionist Bernie Finn but that has just made him a martyr. And Christians love their martyrs.

The leading Australian politicians seem to fit into an international trend of blandness. Biden and Xi, for example, are as exciting as cold porridge. Admittedly, Putin is more engaging, like snake or dose of Novichok. Short of advancing more charismatic persons such as Bob Katter, the obvious solution in Australia is to work on their hair, the importance of which is well known to other world figures who buck the overall trend. With photoshopping help from my son, I suggest coiffures for Morrison, Albanese and the tonsorially challenged Mr Dutton

Attachments

• morrison.jpg
    morrison.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 21
  • peterdutton.jpg
    peterdutton.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 22
  • albanese.jpg
    albanese.jpg
    524.8 KB · Views: 21
By far the most important policy issue the new govt will have to contend with is summarised in this 1:30 min video from 2017 (it was important then, but has gone critical now. And it falls to Albanese's government to deal with it, or the US will remove him).

(from Utopia S03E07 'On the Defence ')

Hahaha this is hilarious 🤣🤣😆

To get into the meat of China-US conflict and what it means for us here in Australia, listen to these two brilliant academics (and friends) in the field of international relations - Hugh White from ANU and John Mearsheimer from the the Uni of Chicago. Its from 2019 but the main thrust is still relevant, just more urgent now because the US Pentagon and State Dept. are rattling the chains at China ever more loudly under sleepy Joe Biden.

Remember, we are currently obliged under the ANZUS Treaty to support, and defer to, the US on all military matters in the Pacific Ocean region. Yet China is our largest trade customer and just about pays for our way of life here (“China is Australia's largest two-way trading partner in goods and services, accounting for nearly one third (31 per cent) of our trade with the world” - DFAT). Without China buying our gas, minerals etc., we’re really economically rooted (think unending double digit unemployment, inflation and interest rates - banana republic stuff).

Hugh White says the US will ultimately fail us and Australia must now stand alone, perhaps in some form of armed neutrality, and be friends with both the US and China (I agree with him, or he with me because I've had this view for decades). John Mearsheimer talks from the perspective of Realpolitik and tells straight up how a Great Power like the US will deal with Australia if we break free from it’s military hegemony.

(This is a long video, but for those interested watch the first half hour at least - each speaker talks for 15 minutes, then the rest is question time. They are both brilliant speakers).

Oh come now, lets not be coy, what is this 'influence' you imply.
Or are you anxious about waking to find yourself lying beside a horses head?
1653372665750.png

No Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

(but not underworld related)

Back