forgot to rinse pink neo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridge runner

Reaction score
Made a kits n bits yesterday and just remembered I didn't rinse out my fermenter. Made a 1tsp/1.5ltr mix of pink neo, I did spray with starsan before adding brew. And I do have a good head of foam this morning. Hope it's ok to drink.
_

What is in the pink neo? If it is nasty as some of the other pink stuff I've seen over the years I wouldn't drink it if it hadn't been very well rinsed.

It is unlikely to kill you, but it can't be that good for you either.

JD.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if that stuff is the chlorinated product I think it is, your beer will most likely have a medicinal flavour to it.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

Your fermenter must be rinsed with boiling water to remove all traces of chlorine if you are going to use it.

It's been said dozens of times here that using unscented napisan as your cleaning agent and a no rinse sanitiser like starsan are as good or better than nearly anything else.

I have to agree with BLACK DEVIL
the brew is undoubtably wrecked for sure.
I've been using a BRACTON product to soak my fermenter overnight .
but it's then rinsed thoroughly water followed by a mix of miltons baby solution.
then rinsed before use with water then finally with starsan.
I haven't had a failure yet doing that

Bugger. I did the exact same thing with pink neo a few years ago.

I let it ferment out and then tasted. I could just perceive the smell and taste so tipped it.

Pink neo is good for cleaning glassware but I stopped using it for keg and fermentor washing because of the chlorine base.

I always rinse and have never had a problem before. I took the sg reading which I drank as you do. Taste was fine when I went to put recipe down thinking back I see I never rinsed bummer!

I always rinse and have never had a problem before. I took the sg reading which I drank as you do. Taste was fine when I went to put recipe down thinking back I see I never rinsed bummer!

Just had a taste of the cider I did at the sometime. Taste ok to me no bleach taste or smell so fingers are crossed for both cider and beer.

GABBA110360 said:
I've been using a BRACTON product to soak my fermenter overnight .
Why bracton? I use it for my beer lines, but PBW has always seemed a better option for fermenters for me...and caustic when I am lazy or have a really tough krausen line...

Mr. No-Tip said:
Why bracton? I use it for my beer lines, but PBW has always seemed a better option for fermenters for me...and caustic when I am lazy or have a really tough krausen line...
probably because it cleans well and quickly.
and I bought a 10 kilo pale of it.
it's probably a overkill but I've got the stuff I also use it for cleaning filfthy bottles I get from friends

I used the kit yeast but the brew came out at 1062 thinking of adding extra yeast when I dry hop. Thinking 1062 maybe too high for kit yeast any views on this?

Yep, it will taste like a vagina after a swim in the local pools

I stand by pink. I use it for all my non metal stuff and it is great. Needs to be rinsed though.

Rurik said:
I stand by pink. I use it for all my non metal stuff and it is great. Needs to be rinsed though.
yes there I nothing wrong with the product at ll.
it's just gotta be rinsed properly.
same with the bracton pink i'm using for some of my cleaning

Just to let you know I bottled the pear cider today taste wicked beer getting bottled weekend so hope its good too!

Latest posts

Back