Forgot The No Rinse Steriliser In First Brew....am I Buggered?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cai

Reaction score
So my first ever brew is an ESB American Pale Ale, I sterilised the fermenter etc popped the brew in with the yeast, all good it took an extra week to come good due to me living in Canberra and having a few minus 10 nights.
Today I was bottling and did the deodoriser & cleaning stuff then rinsed the bottles with cold water, however completely forgot to use the non-rinse steriliser, so i'm wondering if my bathroom is going to be covered with exploding beer over the next few weeks or if you think i'll be ok?
:blink:

Cleaning and sanitising reduces risk of infection. It doesn't remove it entirely.

Missing a step increases the risk. It doesn't make it a certainty.

if they were new pet bottles and you had some cleaning 'stuff' in there i think you might be ok, this time
if you rinse your used bottles with hot tap water straight after pouring, (or thereabouts) it'll make it much easier when you bottle your second batch, but yeah steriliser is your friend

They were brand new PET bottles & some recycled beer bottles however the recycled ones had been washed with boiling water when emptied.

Cai, just to be on the safe side, put the glass bottles in a box or crate and throw a heavy blanket or coat over the top while they carbonate. Might help minimise flying shards if they start bursting. Keep the PET bottles seperate and monitor their pressure (give 'em a squeeze) as a clue to the extent of any over-carbonation caused by infection. I think you should be OK and that you are wise to be concerned about safe brewing.

Alternatively wrap each glass bottle tightly in glad wrap. Keep away from carpets, children and pets.

I was mildly concerned so they are in the spare bathroom shower cubicle in gaff taped cardboard boxes just so if they do explode its minimised & i've got the PET ones in a seperate box in the same shower stall, thanks for the feedback guys hopefully all I get is one tasty pale ale :)
Second batch is already in the fermenter & I'll ensure i don't forget this time :eek:

Back