Ford packs it in

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducatiboy stu said:
mmmmm... A 389 page thesis on ..."**** it im going to have a beer tonight "
the quantitative research part is the best part of the thesis ;)
A200ml of pyment starts the statistical sampling.

In seriousness I feel for yhe workers. But then again the vic govt laid off 2000 employees and no one gives a fk about that. Even though the good people left and the shitty stereotypical govt emploees remain.

However what did Ford do in Australia? there was already an immensely successful large sedan and wagon in Europe, the Ford Granada.

So instead of doing a Holden they decided to completely reinvent the fecking wheel and bring out a virtually identical model anyway as a Falcon to replace the desperately outdated XC Falcon (owned one, dreadful heap of shyte). Despite the fact that the Cortina had been a very successful KDK assembled model here. The only common component was the triangular indicator lights on the front.

Does this Granada remind you of the XD Falcon by any remote chance - huh? huh?

View attachment 62243

My dad had a Granada back in the day, said it was a great car!

I had a VH ex Highway patrol comm. That thing went and handled like no other car I have driven. And it was fun. light nimble and quick. One day I will get another if they rust away before I can find one..

Ducatiboy stu said:
I had a VH ex Highway patrol comm. That thing went and handled like no other car I have driven. And it was fun. light nimble and quick. One day I will get another if they rust away before I can find one..
Really ? I had one also..
Mine was white, they called them "sleepers", cause it looked like a standard Commy till you looked underneath. I do agree was a great ride.
I used to "surprise " heaps of people when I blew their doors off.. :D

HZ Premier. 202, extractors, 3spd Traumatic, custom grey velour interior. My first car, loved it. Wished I hadn't scrapped it.

Ducatiboy stu said:
The main problem for ford is ford itself. They are making a unique car in Australia. Holdens Commodoor shares a common GM platform used overseas. Ford don't. GM use Holden for their international RWD platform expertise
Camaro is a 2 door Commodore.

I have had to get parts for my Ford from America for years...
Local Ford don't sell parts for my '37 Ford...
I have to grt them form Vintique Dealers..
PJ

Cars have got much better; car manufacturers much more competitive - the computer/robot is to thank/blame.

I had a '77 HZ Ute in '92. Was falling apart at the seams. The 308 was ticking along nicely, but the things stopping it from burning up, falling out and grinding itself into iron filings were not. It was 15 years old as was a complete piece of shit. I loved it, mainly because it had an 8 into 1 that ended just in front of the LSD under the tray, so it was a musical instrument with fine volume control.

But when I think about what a 15 year old car looks like now: it's a '98 model. Probably has no rust; great engine; another few years in it.

Cars back then were crap - even the Japanese ones. Now, companies like Ford and Holden have only just caught up, and the Koreans are now pushing the Japanese.

I love new cars from Asia. So do people who used to buy Fords.

I actually had an XB falcon wagon and it was a lovely reliable and very driveable machine, but rusted away eventually. Like cruising on a magic carpet. The XC was a lumbering ugly travesty.

View attachment 62246

Nick JD said:
I love new cars from Asia. So do people who used to buy Fords.
A lot of new Fords are built in Asia. Fiesta and late Focus for example. The PX Ranger is looking to oust the Hilux from its top spot. It was designed for Australia but is produced in Thailand and being sold internationally. I bet we'll see a Territory style body mounted on a Ranger chassis in the not too distant future.

Shit. It sounds like I'm trying to sell them.

Bribie G said:
I actually had an XB falcon wagon and it was a lovely reliable and very driveable machine, but rusted away eventually. Like cruising on a magic carpet. The XC was a lumbering ugly travesty.

attachicon.gif
xb falcon.jpg
Yeah, it's amazing how long it took them to get that rust thing sorted hey Michael. Something else to put it in perspective is that when they were designing the F-111 they were driving round in cars with wirelesses and no seatbelts.... go figure.

Sad day when we lose one of our own.
Not a Ford or Holden man, I like good cars no matter who makes them,
but have a special place for my XC Panelvan from my late teens-early twenties(24 when my young fella came along), 302 Cleveland, Quad carb, racing gear under, a rumble to pause time and room in the back for 2 or sometimes 3 and more than once 7 or 8.
Now driving a BA XR6 Turbo, puting down the right foots like being a young bloke again.
You can stick your Toyota up your arse...at least till the Hyundai needs replacing.

The real question is:

Now how are we going to keep all the dickheads out of Holdens?

Speaking of holden, was anyone aware that the new commodore was unveiled yesterday? Ford certainly were!

QldKev said:
The real question is:

Now how are we going to keep all the dickheads out of Holdens?
You want them to close down too?

Seems Australia is about twenty years behind the U.K. with the car industry. Remember Jaguar, Bentley, Rover, Land Rover all went tits up or were bought out by foreign companies. Land Rover and Jaguar now owned by Indian Companies. Wonder if they ever built a reliable Range Rover. Don't know what is going on as Nissan had an assembly plant in Sunderland.

V8SuperCarsOranPark2006013.jpg

has anyone bought one of these.years ago we had torana's and ford's you could drive legally,as they where raced without a few mod's,do people remember when nissan was winning races.till someone got them Off the road.GMH will be the next to die,and personally i don't why the goverment supports them,like they support FORD waste of taxpayers money

Latest posts

Back