Ford packs it in

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bridges said:
Wow I think I just need to relax and have a beer...
Is it that time already? Oh jolly good show, I think i'll join you.

They should give every boat person a ford falcon and put taxi plates on it.

OH hang on they already do that? nm :)

Nick JD said:
I have the number 1 car on that list. Just did the 20K oil change. Best car I've ever owned.

Getting 6.9L/100km combined.
We've got 2 of them,
ZRE model that's just hit 90K, funny thing is I just checked and it's got an average of 6.9L/100km too. We do a lot of km's in this thing.
An older 96 AE101 we have had since 1999 with 230K on the clock. It averages about 8.0L/100km.
There's a good reason we have kept the old one, and then got a new one.

Then my commodore (Berlina). The clear coat is stuffed, just had a new aircon compressor, HVAC solenoid valve pack needs replacing, dash has a crack in the front panel, leather steering wheel is falling to bits at the top where the sun hits it and an airbag warning light comes on. I've just replaced the plastic slides in the front windows for the second time. With 120K on the clock is should not need this much shit. But it runs a 12sec 1/4, and with a high stall and slicks an 11, so all is good :lol:

The Labour costs are a big problem here in Australia. Now restaurants are closing on Sundays and Public Holidays because they can't afford to pay Penalty Rates for staff and break even. Ford would not be pulling the plug if they were making money.

Josho said:
They should give every boat person a ford falcon and put taxi plates on it.

OH hang on they already do that? nm

Wow, I think any earlier racism was meant to be taken as a light hearted joke.

Wow, that's amazing. One of the first things I think of when I think of Aussie is Holden vs Ford...followed by chicks in bikinis...actually probably the other way around.

Anyway, it ain't good news. We lost car manufacturing about 20 years ago (Mitsi and GM from memory), been down hill ever since.

i wrote a masters paper on the victorian and australian car industry over 9 years ago and why it wouldnt last more than another 15 years. looks like i damn close in my time prediction.

The main problem for ford is ford itself. They are making a unique car in Australia. Holdens Commodoor shares a common GM platform used overseas. Ford don't. GM use Holden for their international RWD platform expertise

Shoudnt ford globally prop up their own company Ford sells like hotcakes in Europe, if they want to close just let them,

I personally hate fords, and we live in one of the only countries in the world with that sort of rivalry so no wonder they are going down the gurgler....

I think nostro could spell. Now fir another prediction.....ill write a paper on the potential that im going to have a beer tonight....

citymorgue2 said:
I think nostro could spell. Now fir another prediction.....ill write a paper on the potential that im going to have a beer tonight....

Fir sure he could spell.

treefiddy said:
After receiving a bunch of govt. handouts?

Good riddance. I hope their sales post closure suffer.
+1
Handouts are much better value going to bogans and single mums.

but seriously, its not only the car manufacturers this affects. There's a large multiplier on car manufacturing.

So now the handouts go from car industry prop up to Newstart payments.

Ducatiboy stu said:
The main problem for ford is ford itself. They are making a unique car in Australia. Holdens Commodoor shares a common GM platform used overseas. Ford don't. GM use Holden for their international RWD platform expertise
Exactement. The original VB Commodore was just the back end of an Opel Rekord stuck onto the front end of an Opel Commodore to accommodate the Kingswood 6 cyl engine. Thus the huge out- of- proportion boofy nose on the VB -VC range. When I went back to the UK in the early 1980s there were heaps of almost identical cars there. The Vauxhall Viceroy.

View attachment 62241

They also did a nice variant, the Vauxhall Royale / Opel Monza. There used to be an imported one knocking around Burpengary about 20 years ago, would have actually made a brilliant replacement for the Monaro with a V8 dropped in.

View attachment 62242

Latest posts

Back