• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

For Sale - Stainless Coil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirem

Reaction score
1 x Stainless steel coil for Beer chiller/Cooler/Heat-exchanger.
Originally came form a beer chilling system.
Tube size is 1/2 inch osd.
Coil diameter is 20cm and height is 9cm.
The tube forming the coil section is oval but the ends are round tube.
1/2 inch beer line (when heated with hot water) does push over the stainless tube.

I purchased this one and a smaller one through ebay in December 2007. I was hoping for one and ended up with two. I don't need the second one.

$100 plus postage. Use http://www1.auspost.com.au/pac/aus_parcel.asp lodgment post code 3500 -Mildura weight is about 1.6kg plus packaging.

First PM gets it.

View attachment 18950

View attachment 18951

edit: sorry I got the size slightly wrong.

1 x Stainless steel coil for Beer chiller/Cooler/Heat-exchanger.
Originally came form a beer chilling system.
Tube size is 1/2 inch osd.
Coil diameter is 15cm and height is 20cm.
The tube forming the coil section is oval but the ends are round tube.
1/2 inch beer line (when heated with hot water) does push over the stainless tube.

I purchased this one and a smaller one through ebay in December 2007. I was hoping for one and ended up with two. I don't need the second one.

$100 plus postage. Use http://www1.auspost.com.au/pac/aus_parcel.asp lodgment post code 3500 -Mildura weight is about 1.6kg plus packaging.

View attachment 18950

View attachment 18951

That's an ok price for that,make a nice collect if you were close
Batz

see my post re temprite to hire out if this will assist im\n my setup to keep cool would you take 100 including postage let me know keen to do deal asap msg me

cheers and beers
matt

see my post re temprite to hire out if this will assist im\n my setup to keep cool would you take 100 including postage let me know keen to do deal asap msg me

I have not built a temprite, therefore I am unsure if what you are trying to build will work for constant beer supply. It may work for a certain amount of flow ie pour a beer every 2 minutes, but if you need to pour a beer every 30 seconds or every minute, it may not cool the beer fast enough.

Postage to Melbourne is about $15.00. I'll take $115 inc postage and packaging to Melbourne.

I have not built a temprite, therefore I am unsure if what you are trying to build will work for constant beer supply. It may work for a certain amount of flow ie pour a beer every 2 minutes, but if you need to pour a beer every 30 seconds or every minute, it may not cool the beer fast enough.

Postage to Melbourne is about $15.00. I'll take $115 inc postage and packaging to Melbourne.
That coil in its original installation could quite happily chill constantly, that meaning an old skool "temprite" vessel which people have had for sale from time to time and were connected to a great big refrigeration plant at the back of the pub. The stainless coil sat inside a stainless tank that was full of boiling refrigerant at around 0C, and could happily cool beer from cellar temps to 2C in the glass all day. The coils are flattened to allow for the occasional accidental ice up of the beer coil if an "expert" managed to adjust the temperature control valve on the device properly as obviously an oval has less cross sectional area than a circle so if the beer freezes it can expand a bit

In an ice bath you will probably not get the same degree of turbulent flow as being in a bath of boiling refrigerant but if you can keep the keg reasonably cold it will probably work ok. If you have the coil in a bath of ice and little bit water so its a slurry with a little pond pump to circulate it around a bit it would probably work even better.

thanks ausdb. I suspected it would do the job, I didn't want to offer any guarantees that it will.

Interesting that when I posted under another thread that I had used one of these for a heat exchanger (and it works very well), more than one response said SS was a bad choice. I wonder why they use SS in older type temprites/coolers and not copper....... :)

Of course I know copper conducts better but when it comes to cleaning it reacts very badly to caustic. My cleaning regime is a hot caustic constant recirculation then a citric acid rinse.

When I worked in the cellar I did this cleaning regime day in day and IMHO the ends of the pH range is the best way to kill unwanted microbes. Hence why I choose SS.

thanks ausdb. I suspected it would do the job, I didn't want to offer any guarantees that it will.

Interesting that when I posted under another thread that I had used one of these for a heat exchanger (and it works very well), more than one response said SS was a bad choice. I wonder why they use SS in older type temprites/coolers and not copper....... :)

Of course I know copper conducts better but when it comes to cleaning it reacts very badly to caustic. My cleaning regime is a hot caustic constant recirculation then a citric acid rinse.

When I worked in the cellar I did this cleaning regime day in day and IMHO the ends of the pH range is the best way to kill unwanted microbes. Hence why I choose SS.
Copper does have the ultimate edge when it comes to heat transfer coefficient but as you say does not fare so well with caustic and is also not very good for long term contact with beer so stainless wins out in the long term commercial situation, also it is part of a pressure vessel.

On the point of caustic I have a copper cfc and regularly clean it with hot 2% caustic followed by an acid rinse and it has not eaten out yet so fingers crossed!

If you aren't in a hurry for delivery, I can get it to Adelaide in June, I'll be at the Waite Campus and in the CBD for a few days or if you hurry I can get it to Mount Barker on Sunday.

I'll give this until tomorrow, then it goes onto evilbay.

Back