Food-safe Sealant?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingerlickin_B

Mo Bitta, Mo Betta!
Reaction score
Does anyone on here know of a food-safe sealant?

I'm after something that remains pliable after curing (like silicone sealants do).

PZ.

Ah...silcone??

I have used Dow Corning Silicone Sealant. Now the number escapes me but I think this is the one "Dow Corning Product R732" The MSDS is available from their website. Suitable for use in food contact/machinery. Food grade and rated to 232C.

shelly aqua silicon (comes in a tooth paste tube nice and reusable $6 @ bunnings)

used for tropical fish tanks as well and those guys are sensitive to every thing

sintax69 said:
shelly aqua silicon (comes in a tooth paste tube nice and reusable $6 @ bunnings)

used for tropical fish tanks as well and those guys are sensitive to every thing
[post="93860"][/post]​

Would this stuff be suitable? it's the ony stuff I could find at bunnings that was safe for aquariums...

Am going to use it on the bottom of a tube going into my fermenter where the temp probe can sit so it will be sitting in beer for a lot of the time...

silicon.jpg

sluggerdog said:
sintax69 said:

[post="93860"][/post]​

Would this stuff be suitable? it's the ony stuff I could find at bunnings that was safe for aquariums...

Am going to use it on the bottom of a tube going into my fermenter where the temp probe can sit so it will be sitting in beer for a lot of the time...
[post="95827"][/post]​

It'd bloody better be...that's what I'm going to be using too :lol:

PZ.

Sorry Guys - no it isn't...

The only Selley's product safe for long term contact with beer is Selley's "Knead It"

cheers Ross...

Ross said:

The only Selley's product safe for long term contact with beer is Selley's "Knead It"

cheers Ross...
[post="95837"][/post]​

where do you get this stuff from ross? Couldn't find anything at bunnings...

Can you solder your tube or get it welded shut? That would be the ideal. You might be able to make a nice clean seal in the tube that hopefully wont hide nasties but if the option is available I'd get it welded/soldered shut if it's stainless.

Other than that I would suspect that it would be fine. There are no high temps to deal with in your fermenter and it shouldn't leach anything. It would just be the sanitary side of things that I'd be more concerned about. I'd aim for the smoothest surface of silicone you can manage.

Just for MHO, I think measuring the temp in the fermenter is a little bit excessive, you can brew good beer measuring from the outside but it's totally up to you.

Good luck, Justin

sluggerdog said:
Ross said:

cheers Ross...
[post="95837"][/post]​

where do you get this stuff from ross? Couldn't find anything at bunnings...
[post="95840"][/post]​

I got mine from the local hardware store - sorry I can't remember their name.

Edit: Sluggerdog, just crimp & fold the end of the tube with the sealent inside - it should be fine...

"Knead it" might be an option, probably better than silicone but I don't know much about it in a food situation. Yes I have the stuff in my tool box, it's a two part plastic epoxy that you knead together to start it curing. Half my car is held together with it :p

Why not try for the Dow Corning stuff above (I still wouldn't plan on putting it in the fermenter. You can get it from blackwoods and other industrial places.

Really in my totally honest opinon, if you going to go to the trouble of sticking something directly into your fermenter why wouldn't you do it properly with a sealed stainless tube? The benefits of temp measuring in the fermenter might be counteracted by the infection risk. Up to you though but I'm of the opinion the simpler and cleaner you can keep your fermenter the less possibility for nasties.

Cheers, Justin

Justin said:
Can you solder your tube or get it welded shut? That would be the ideal. You might be able to make a nice clean seal in the tube that hopefully wont hide nasties but if the option is available I'd get it welded/soldered shut if it's stainless.

Other than that I would suspect that it would be fine. There are no high temps to deal with in your fermenter and it shouldn't leach anything. It would just be the sanitary side of things that I'd be more concerned about. I'd aim for the smoothest surface of silicone you can manage.

Just for MHO, I think measuring the temp in the fermenter is a little bit excessive, you can brew good beer measuring from the outside but it's totally up to you.

Good luck, Justin
[post="95841"][/post]​

The tubing is plastic so it's not weldable..

Yes my only concern was is this stuff going to give me off beer or worst still, make me sick..?

Autobarn, Supercheap and those places usually have knead it. Look for it in the auto section of hardware stores too-of which there is none in Bunnings if I remember rightly.

Or melt the plastic tube shut. No glue/sealant necessary. Should work.

Edit: Combined below post into this post and deleted the one below.

sintax69 said:
Remember that needit will set hard and will need to be filed away where as sealent will peal away so both have there own purpose

Therein lays my problem...whatever I use must be pliable :huh:

PZ.

Fingerlickin_B said:
sintax69 said:
Remember that needit will set hard and will need to be filed away where as sealent will peal away so both have there own purpose

PZ.
[post="95863"][/post]​

Back too aquarium sealant, this works well and is safe , heaps of us brewers have been using it for years.
Think about it...you can use it inside an aquarium , the water stays there so it's in contact with it 24/7 for perhaps months.
Anything toxic and fish do the floating upside thing :huh:

Batz

Batz said:
Fingerlickin_B said:
sintax69 said:

PZ.
[post="95863"][/post]​

Back too aquarium sealant, this works well and is safe , heaps of us brewers have been using it for years.
Think about it...you can use it inside an aquarium , the water stays there so it's in contact with it 24/7 for perhaps months.
Anything toxic and fish do the floating upside thing :huh:

Batz
[post="95879"][/post]​

I believe maybe fine in water (though not sure about boiling) - but selleys info line, said not to use in beer...

anyway, like most things, it's probably them being over cautious....

I think your on the mark there Ross , if they said it was food grade I would think it would open a can of worms.
Still I have been using it with no ill affects.........apart from feeling a little sleepy now and then. ;)

Batz

Batz said:
I think your on the mark there Ross , if they said it was food grade I would think it would open a can of worms.
Still I have been using it with no ill affects.........apart from feeling a little sleepy now and then. ;)

Batz
[post="95895"][/post]​

I thought maybe that's how you sleep upright - siliconed joints :D ...

Latest posts

Back