Fridge penetration

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

Chester 1

Reaction score
I've got a Fisher & Paykel E450 fermentation fridge and it does a great job as it takes two fermenters as well as other useful stuff. As I accumulate more useful gizmos I'm upsetting the door seal with too many tubes & cables which of course reduces the efficiency of the fridge. I'd like to install some kind of bulkhead fitting and assume the top (roof) is the safest place. Still, I don't have the courage to act on an assumption as I can't afford another fridge if I screw up. No doubt others have the same great fridge. Can anyone advise where there's a safe place to drill through?

Feldon

caveat brasiator
Reaction score
Perhaps try using thermal imaging (maybe you have an app on your smart phone) to discover where the refrigerant pipes are installed inside the walls/door/top of the fridge.
It might be more apparent if the fridge has been off for some time so that the temperature of the whole fridge comes up to room temp. Then turn it on and the refrigerant pipes should stand out as being very different lower temp to the rest of the fridge which is still at room temp.

Vic

Circle of life. I brew, I drink, I brew, etc..
Pro - Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a Fisher & Paykel E450 fermentation fridge and it does a great job as it takes two fermenters as well as other useful stuff. As I accumulate more useful gizmos I'm upsetting the door seal with too many tubes & cables which of course reduces the efficiency of the fridge. I'd like to install some kind of bulkhead fitting and assume the top (roof) is the safest place. Still, I don't have the courage to act on an assumption as I can't afford another fridge if I screw up. No doubt others have the same great fridge. Can anyone advise where there's a safe place to drill through?
Is the back of the fridge metal or plastic?

Grmblz

Reaction score
Using a soldering iron, melt the plastic inside the fridge where you want the hole to be, carefully dig out the foam insulation checking for pipes and wires, then just drill from the inside out.

Chester 1

Reaction score
Using a soldering iron, melt the plastic inside the fridge where you want the hole to be, carefully dig out the foam insulation checking for pipes and wires, then just drill from the inside out.
Clever - and safe.

Chester 1

Reaction score
Perhaps try using thermal imaging (maybe you have an app on your smart phone) to discover where the refrigerant pipes are installed inside the walls/door/top of the fridge.
It might be more apparent if the fridge has been off for some time so that the temperature of the whole fridge comes up to room temp. Then turn it on and the refrigerant pipes should stand out as being very different lower temp to the rest of the fridge which is still at room temp.
There's a thermal imaging app??? I learnt something new today. Thanks for the enlightenment, I'll try that.

Grmblz

Reaction score
That's a good idea, close to the hinge would allow the spaghetti to be kept tidy and out of the way. There must be no pipes or wires in the door.
Be careful, if you have a butter compartment in the door it will have a small heater in it to keep the butter "spreadable" and therefore "wires"

duncbrewer

Reaction score
There's a thermal imaging app??? I learnt something new today. Thanks for the enlightenment, I'll try that.
THere is a thermal imaging app, but you need a phone with a thermal imaging lens. These are made by CAT model numbers S60, S61 and S62.

I have the S62 and it will show up coolant lines in the side of fridges and freezers.
The software ( app ) will not work without the correct hardware though.
Somewhere I have posted pictures of it working on the side of my freezer. I'm away from my computer with the pictures on though so can't upload.

GrumpyPaul

Reaction score
There is also a trick to make a slurry of rubbing alcohol and corn flour - then paint it on the fridge you will pretty quickly see it dry where the coolant lines are from the heat they give off.

Reaction score
Hole drilled and bung fitted in the top of mine. just behind the control box

Attachments

• 20220616_134820.jpg
    20220616_134820.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220616_135549.jpg
    20220616_135549.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts