Food Grade Welding In/near Thornbury Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerDingo

Reaction score
Hey All,

Just wondering if anyone knows of a good welder, who does food grade, for a stainless pot. I'm hoping to find someone in or around Thornbury.

Cheers
dingo

i'd say there would be alot of welders around the Reservoir area, around near Newlands Rd/industrial area.

Cheers

What do you need to do/achieve BD?

he wants a tap put in that pot you were going to buy ;)

dom, just get the yellow pages or whitepages out mate and start ringing around. there will be loads in the industral area right near where we play cricket.

Another option: HERE ;)

Yeah, I've got stuff for a weldless tap, but do you know how much a 19-20mm drill head is???? Cheaper to pay someone to weld it (and better in the long run)!

Was just hoping someone else had used a welder in the area before, just so I'm sure they do a good job, and know what they're on about. i don't wanna rock up just anywhere and have em weld something on, and probably use lead or something... I'm probably being paranoid, but don't want to ruin a 100 liter stainless pot!

cheers all

From memory our good sponsors Grain and Grape can punch a hole through a pot for you?

Yep, says they can do it here:
G&G

From memory our good sponsors Grain and Grape can punch a hole through a pot for you?

Yep, says they can do it here:
G&G

I know, but $25 just for a hole? I payed less than that to get a weld done. But that took ages, leaving it with people...
Would be cheaper and quicker to just bite the bullet and buy a drill bit (especially if I have more than 1 pot to drill).

I have drilled 3 keggles myself and it is a quick way to do it, but you might need more than just a drill bit and it's not without its own issues.

I bought a drill bit from Bunnings ($8-$12 I think - the ones to do steel are pricier than the wood bits I think), a nail punch to mark the hole (around $4?) a can of WD40 ($4 - you need some kind of lube to drill stainless otherwise it heats up and hardens and you have to drill slow RP7 also works), and it came pretty close to the G&G price to do one pot. Then I stuffed up one hole slightly on one keggle making it too big and had to add an extra rubber washer in to plug the gap prior to adding my weldless fitting ($6 for a pack I think).

Up to you and you might be handier than me, but for a neat and clean hole you know will fit your tap perfectly G&G shouldn't be ruled out - unless a welder can do a cheapie for you. I think some automotive places also have machines that punch steel, so someone in that area or a boilermaker might also be able to offer you an option.

My 2c. :)

Hopper.

I just bought the largest aforable drill bit and a rat-tail file. It took about 15mins per hole. Use a bit of masking tape with the final hole size penned on it so you get it to just the right size.

File: $4~
Drill Bit: $15-20
Centre Punch: Just used an old philips screw driver. You just need a little dent so the drill bit 'sits' in it.
Drill: Already had one (every man should :D )

Try OZ commercial catering equipment on the cnr of sydney and bakers rd they do welding there as well if its the same place i stopped at on monday and asked which im pretty sure it is. This is there phone number if you want to give them a call 93558288.

Try OZ commercial catering equipment on the cnr of sydney and bakers rd they do welding there as well if its the same place i stopped at on monday and asked which im pretty sure it is. This is there phone number if you want to give them a call 93558288.

Cheers Archie82,

Just called em, and he said that he can do it. Haven't got a price, but will go in and show him what I need and get quotes. I'll update here on price if it's reasonable. He even gave me his mobile and said he could meet me there on the weekend!

No probz its actually just by luck i found them there on monday driving home haven't had anything welded there myself but i will be in the near future.

Having never drilled stainless myself take this as you will.

I would ahve thought drilling a pilot hole then using a step drill would have been the best way?

A good quality hole saw and some cutting fluid is the way to go - I've done the file thing (tedious is the best way to describe it, but cheap), and wouldn't go back.

Tips:

1) Do _not_ use the cheap hole saws bunnings flogs that are a piece of spring steel fitting in a grooved top - very dangerous when working with metal.

2) Go slow. Heating up stainless (friction from the cutting blade) make it harder to cut.

Personally I'd recommend spending the $ on a good arbour and a 25mm bit. They'll last you forever if you keep them in good nick.

Andy

Latest posts

Back