Food Gardening

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They were extremely delicious and very milky, why did they disappear? They are used for carp bait now in the UK.
The chewing wood we used to know the liquorice root as either 2 or 4 for a penny, that was back in the 50's and I have just remembered the paraffin heater we had was a Valour. Cause of many a fire when they got knocked over.
106a.JPG

Bribie G said:
Tiger nuts... the last ones I had were in about 1965 in high school and I'd completely forgotten about them.

Then as soon as I read the post, suddenly I could taste them exactly and I started drooling. Sweet, nutty, milky... but I doubt if my teeth could handle them nowadays.

While we are on the subject ... liquorice root. Now we're talking.
You sure are, as it to is a superfood capable of curing what ails you.
Its anti depressant properties may prove helpful in combating the buyers remorse induced depression brought on by paying $65 for a bag of tiger nuts.

http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-licorice-root.html

manticle said:
Useful for baldness?

In what way exactly? Can I shave with it?
Could make a few bob curing baldness by selling it to council/ highway staff ( i almost typed workers) who stand around all day scratching their knackers while wondering what to do.

I don't know how the purveyors of some goods claim that their product will boost the immune system, I recently read a report from a Harvard Research paper into what foods can boost ones immune system, the answer in short was they had NFI.
As for iron in foods I think we are probably getting to much, researchers have found that processed foods have been over fortified with iron far more than what may be claimed on the packet.

wide eyed and legless said:
I don't know how the purveyors of some goods claim that their product will boost the immune system, I recently read a report from a Harvard Research paper into what foods can boost ones immune system, the answer in short was they had NFI.
As for iron in foods I think we are probably getting to much, researchers have found that processed foods have been over fortified with iron far more than what may be claimed on the packet.
Which is why they dont. In the vein of 'Support a healthy immune system' is what they claim (after numerous companys got smacked around in the courts. About as revolutionary as claiming that breathing 'supports healthy lung function' or 'shitting 'supports healthy bowel function'. An over active immune system basically equals autoimmune disease.
If you happen to be a pregnant vegan who hates greens, then yes, you may need to supplement iron.

Dave70 said:
You sure are, as it to is a superfood capable of curing what ails you.
Its anti depressant properties may prove helpful in combating the buyers remorse induced depression
Yes, that is Stout for you....

Well greens do supply some of the daily iron intake, non-haem iron is harder to absorb by the body, spinach for instance if eaten raw you would be lucky to get any iron out of it, drinking tea or coffee within an hour of eating decreases iron absorption, oranges kiwi fruit, tomatoes, carrots even alcohol increases iron absorption.
Another interesting fact 18 pints of Guinness has the same amount of iron as 1 pint of orange juice.
Best way to get your iron is with red meat, poultry and fish.

wide eyed and legless said:
Another interesting fact 18 pints of Guinness has the same amount of iron as 1 pint of orange juice.
Some would say that 18 pints of Guinness is better than 1 pint of Orange juice

Probably safer to skip the OJ and just wash a roast dinner down with a few pints of Guinness then. For the health benefits.

spog said:
Could make a few bob curing baldness by selling it to council/ highway staff ( i almost typed workers) who stand around all day scratching their knackers while wondering what to do.

Settle down Spog, don't taint all us Council Workers with the same brush. Some of us have a go, mainly at spending the week organising your weekend and RDO's, but its something.

Having finished my build just a bit of tidying up to do, I am a bit concerned about the plastic film roofing, in hind sight wish I had gone with poly-carbonate, I too have a couple of sheets lying around but went with the film, my confidence is being tested today with the gale force winds we have but with the poly I would not be going outside every hour to see if the roof is still there.

IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

Nice job WEAL. If it survives today it'll outlive cockroaches. Is that split poly pipe holding the ends?

Weal, I decided to go with polycarbonate roofing for the planned build of mine as I Googled the plastic film for the roof and walls and wasn't satisfied with the strength/ longevity of what was on offer.
Hope all goes well with the weather against your build,I drove back from Adelaide today with a fully loaded ute and a big furniture trailer hanging of its arse, fck me what a trip,horizontal rain ,howling wind,caravans,B double grain trucks and my BT 50's fuel guage dropping quicker than a brides knickers....

Latest posts

Back