Food Gardening

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the Crook Neck Pumpkins decided it had hung around long enough, accidentally hit it with my shoulder and down it came.Just have to leave it in the sun now to harden off.

IMG_0221.jpg

Two birds with one stone here. *Tch*...stoopid wimens saying men can't multi-task !

Nice half bucket of R de Ms and Burnley Surecrops and a tasty SN hoppy number too (I didn't pick that last one...but, faark, can you imagine the dimension that is surely occurring in !)
Sauce day tomorrow (and 'sauce' night tonight). A happy coincidence, we'll call it.

image.jpg

I had a load of tomatoes so asked my daughters what shall we do with them decided on ketchup, boiled the tomatoes in their own juices, put them straight into the blender big mistake what I didn't wear went up the wall, over the blinds and all the other implements we have in the vicinity.
With a burned arm asked my daughters to help me clean up, response,'Every man for himself'.

I agree, save yourself in that kind of situation.

She'll do just fine when the zombie apocalypse comes.

Wish now I had never told them 'Every man for himself' when my wife was on the warpath, everything seems to come back and bite with a vengeance, at the end of it all the blinds cleaned up with a hose down, wiped down the appliances and wall, and forgot to add the vinegar to the sauce.

Advice needed.
We have some garlic cloves that are starting to sprout,they are shop bought not home grown.
Can I separate them and then plant ?

wide eyed and legless said:
I had a load of tomatoes so asked my daughters what shall we do with them decided on ketchup, boiled the tomatoes in their own juices, put them straight into the blender big mistake what I didn't wear went up the wall, over the blinds and all the other implements we have in the vicinity.
With a burned arm asked my daughters to help me clean up, response,'Every man for himself'.
You need a thermo mix.

Spog - sprouts face up.
Usually plant in winter, harvest in summer I believe but I've had success doing things topsy turvy and those cloves probably won't wait till winter.

Good deal at Masters, any 3 bags for $30.00 I got 2 / 50 litre bags of Debco Premium potting mix and a 20 kg bag of Dinofert organic fertiliser pellets. Good value.

Tired of fighting weeds, pests and climate change I splashed out the princely some of $123 on a 2 x 3.5 e bay greenhouse. Plus it will hopefully let me grow through winter.
The plants seem to love it, particular the leafy greens. The herbs on the left were hacked back to nothing a few weeks ago and have come back firing. Basil pesto anybody?
Once the novelty has worn off the kids sunflowers, I'll be pissing those off and transplanting some yellow peppers and spinach, kale and Roma toms. All heirloom stuff.
You can see a piece of flypaper dangling from the roof thats already caught its share of ******* insects and moths. I also installed one of those misting kits hooked up to a timer set to fire every few hours to stop everything baking on those hot still days.
Out of shot is a garden chair I sometimes like to drag in there on those hot days, recline with a tallie and relax in a pair of footy shorts under the mister. Doubles a fantastic ghetto sauna.
Probably ferment a mean Sasion in there in a pinch..

DSC_72631_zpskennbnu8.jpg

My jalepenos are particularly hot this year..... but man are they good cut in half, stuffed with cream cheese, wrapped in streaky bacon and baked for half an hour.......

Pain is good....

12417654_1060662220651578_4651124821057327298_n.jpg

1456646_867282323362563_1107627979272710335_n.jpg

They do look delicious. But oh, I would pay such a price..

FleetWipesProduct_732x632-320x265.png

Dave70 said:
They do look delicious. But oh, I would pay such a price..

FleetWipesProduct_732x632-320x265.png
I have actually found a solution to this that works for me at least. After a meal of extra spicey food, a big dose of metamucil. For some odd reason it seems to reduce the after burn ---- flame on.

Dave70 said:
Tired of fighting weeds, pests and climate change I splashed out the princely some of $123 on a 2 x 3.5 e bay greenhouse. Plus it will hopefully let me grow through winter.
The plants seem to love it, particular the leafy greens. The herbs on the left were hacked back to nothing a few weeks ago and have come back firing. Basil pesto anybody?
Once the novelty has worn off the kids sunflowers, I'll be pissing those off and transplanting some yellow peppers and spinach, kale and Roma toms. All heirloom stuff.
You can see a piece of flypaper dangling from the roof thats already caught its share of ******* insects and moths. I also installed one of those misting kits hooked up to a timer set to fire every few hours to stop everything baking on those hot still days.
Out of shot is a garden chair I sometimes like to drag in there on those hot days, recline with a tallie and relax in a pair of footy shorts under the mister. Doubles a fantastic ghetto sauna.
Probably ferment a mean Sasion in there in a pinch..

DSC_72631_zpskennbnu8.jpg
How would it fare in wind you think?

I really need to build one, but I have +1,000,000 other projects happening.

Also for the 2nd year running I didn't get a single sweet potato from my mass of runners, 3 years ago they were the size of Rugby balls.

I am facing the same situation I need a shade / greenhouse 3.5 meters long 2 meters wide, I too have been searching eBay but I think I will be building my own tried making small hoop cloches out of irrigation tube and covered with fleece, aphids found a way in to my cabbage but not my cauliflower. Found on eBay insect exclusion material (20% shade) which they assure me is aphid proof, my other dilemma is I am bringing 3 x 8 pot hydroponic set up out of retirement, they are 3 meters long, I can cut them in half but then I have to purchase the end caps which are $52 including shipping and 3 more auto pot valves and boxes which will be about $61 each so what I save by making a shorter shade / greenhouse I will spend on the pot system plus the headache of the extra pipe work which can be liable to blow and empty a 2000 litre tank. Also I would have to make 3 extra stands.IMG_0415.jpgIMG_0412.jpg

With those Polly tunnels PVC can react with the polyethylene greenhouse covering probably depend on the type used.

shaunous said:
How would it fare in wind you think?

I really need to build one, but I have +1,000,000 other projects happening.

Also for the 2nd year running I didn't get a single sweet potato from my mass of runners, 3 years ago they were the size of Rugby balls.

There are flaps running the length of three bottom sides that I've got about 60kg of 8 x 2 inch boards sitting on, seen one storm out so far. But its not exactly a bomb shelter.

wide eyed and legless said:
I am facing the same situation I need a shade / greenhouse 3.5 meters long 2 meters wide, I too have been searching eBay but I think I will be building my own tried making small hoop cloches out of irrigation tube and covered with fleece, aphids found a way in to my cabbage but not my cauliflower. Found on eBay insect exclusion material (20% shade) which they assure me is aphid proof, my other dilemma is I am bringing 3 x 8 pot hydroponic set up out of retirement, they are 3 meters long, I can cut them in half but then I have to purchase the end caps which are $52 including shipping and 3 more auto pot valves and boxes which will be about $61 each so what I save by making a shorter shade / greenhouse I will spend on the pot system plus the headache of the extra pipe work which can be liable to blow and empty a 2000 litre tank. Also I would have to make 3 extra stands.
attachicon.gif
IMG_0415.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_0412.jpg
Be sure to read the fine print. Some are 'not designed as permanent', or words to that effect. I went with the PE mesh cover over the plain clear PVC because its more durable and less of an eyesore.

I'm going to convert a failed vegie patch into a shade house . 3.0 x2.0 . The patch turned out to be unproductive due to elevated position on reclaimed soil so the drainage was maximised and the plants suffered from a lack of water .
I rang the ABC radio gardening show and asked about the best way to do it and was told to go for a light shade cloth to allow for maximum UV but leave one end open to allow bees etc in to pollinate ,otherwise the vegies won't grow.
Ahh shit I thought to my self ,I have some sheets of polycarbonate and wanted to use them in the build but was told not to as they have a UV barrier in them and so using them would render the shade house as useless as the existing patch.
Hmm I might put a few sheets on the north facing walls to protect from the summer northerly's ,and a couple on the west/ south side to protect from the harsh winter winds seeing as the majority of the sunshine comes from above I reckon I'll be good to go.
It's a lot like home brewing really,experiment on a budget and go with works for you.
FFS I've just answered my own question :)

Back