Fluctuating Mash Temps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamesco

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a question, I've done about 8 All grain batches now and when I mash I wrap a pot up in a towel. I'm doing small 5-10L batches and my temp drops about 3 degrees in 30 minutes. I usually aim for 66 degrees to compensate then at 30 minutes stir and reheat. I sometimes undershoot or over shoot these temperatures but I'm staying in mash temp range.

My question is does this matter? Will it affect the taste of my beer negatively? I know my beers will not be consistent but will fluctuating my mash temps from 63-69c give me any unwanted flavours?

Probably not unwanted flavours. More so more or less fermentable sugars that you want resulting in an FG slightly higher or lower than you wanted.

I find my mashes get a lot of 'heat islands' and 'cool islands', if you know what I mean - something to do with how heat circulates in the wort through currents. Solution, stir lots. (And possibly mash in more rather than less water to allow the heat to circulate more freely, but I'm not sure about this).

Latest posts

Back