Flow Restrictor Taps vs Forward Sealing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sluggerdog

Beer In Here
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm in the research stage of setting up a kegerator (for the second time now I'm back into brewing after a 4 year break).

Anyway from the looks of it I have come down to the following two choices for taps:

1. Stainless Forward Sealing
2. Non-Stainless Flow Restrictor

Out of these two choices, what would be better? Ignore the stainless vs non-stainless part for now, is it better to have flow restrictor taps or forward sealing taps?

Thanks

I can get really cheap flow controlled perlicks if you are interested.

PM me.

Also for anyone interested stainless flow control perlicks will be released soon and I will have access to them as well.

the perlick flow restrictors are great can't fault them and I don't miss all those coils of beer line......another good point is if you over carb whilst force carbing, then its no big deal

King Brown Brewing said:
I can get really cheap flow controlled perlicks if you are interested.

PM me.

Also for anyone interested stainless flow control perlicks will be released soon and I will have access to them as well.
KBB, how sure is your source, only reason i say that is the SS flow control are coming soon line has been thrown around for years now..

Cheers Bdb

To clarify for slugger, perlicks flow control taps. Aka 545PC, are also forward sealing. All the perlicks are.

practicalfool said:
To clarify for slugger, perlicks flow control taps. Aka 545PC, are also forward sealing. All the perlicks are.
Ahh ok thanks for that.

So the original flow controlled perlicks are chrome plated brass and the new ones are stainless.

What is the specific advantage(s) of stainless over the other option? I imagine that after a few years of rough treatment the chrome ones will chip and flake a bit. Is that the only reason to choose a stainless one and what is the price difference?

I'm a while off flipping the pluto but I like to have a plan.

I saw a post from Connor Breware (I think?) about a "good deal" but couldn't find it again or it was edited - $74 bucks for perlicks and long shanks if you buy 5 or more.

Beerdrinkingbob, given my recent experience with force crabbing my new kegs I need every advantage I can get. Force carbing with confidence in the outcome is a PITA thus-far.

Had to leave that autocorrect - "Force Crabbing" . Sounds painful.

431neb said:
So the original flow controlled perlicks are chrome plated brass and the new ones are stainless.

What is the specific advantage(s) of stainless over the other option? I imagine that after a few years of rough treatment the chrome ones will chip and flake a bit. Is that the only reason to choose a stainless one and what is the price difference?

I'm a while off flipping the pluto but I like to have a plan.

I saw a post from Connor Breware (I think?) about a "good deal" but couldn't find it again or it was edited - $74 bucks for perlicks and long shanks if you buy 5 or more.
An advantage of stainless steel is its ability resist corrosion and metallic leaching. It's worth being mindful with what sanitizers you are using on your chrome plated brass and exposure times. You may find acid based on chrome plate is better avoided and replaced with something sodium per-carbonate.

cheers

The perlick flow control taps are brilliant for the money, you wont be disappointed. Plus you can have nice short beer lines. While the chrome plated ones are fine (and i'm sure mine will last me a long time) I'd wait for the stainless version seeing as you're not in a rush.

My tap preference

Celli if you are extremely rich
Perlick 545PC

Nothing else matters, and are not worth buying.

Until the perlick s/s ones come out, then they will most likely slip into second spot.

edit: Should add my original chrome kegerator taps are about 10years old and still in service living in Brissy these days.

G_T_G said:
The perlick flow control taps are brilliant for the money, you wont be disappointed. Plus you can have nice short beer lines. While the chrome plated ones are fine (and i'm sure mine will last me a long time) I'd wait for the stainless version seeing as you're not in a rush.
How much line should you use for the flow control vs the standard perlicks? I have 2 forward seated perlick standards and a flow control for my new triple font on order.

MashPaddler said:
How much line should you use for the flow control vs the standard perlicks? I have 2 forward seated perlick standards and a flow control for my new triple font on order.
I've got flow control Cellis and my lines are only around 500mm. Therefore I'd say whatever the distance from your tap to your keg is enough.

I've posted this in another thread but NDASFSS so, well, Connor is correct, chrome doesn't like mistreatment. 1/3 of my 545PC are a little bit cosmetically worse off from being left in a wet bucket and moulded over until I re-discovered them and cleaned them up. Wouldn't happen to ss, obviously.

Re line, remember to leave a little slack. I'd recommend 1m of line per tap. This is because while the FC does work it's got it's limits. 1m of moderation is handy to have.

If it's a price decision, my money would go stainless forward seal over flow conrol. I LOVE my forward sealing taps (I have a mixture of non and flow control both in chrome) whereas I only like the flow control portion,

practicalfool said:
Re line, remember to leave a little slack. I'd recommend 1m of line per tap. This is because while the FC does work it's got it's limits. 1m of moderation is handy to have.
Obviously 500mm isn't the limit either as I have no problems whatsoever with mine. I actually think shorter the better as it makes it a lot tidier and easier to move kegs in and out or around.

So from the replies I assume flow control wins hands down over forward sealing?

Thanks!

sluggerdog said:
So from the replies I assume flow control wins hands down over forward sealing?

Thanks!
:huh: Aren't the flow controlled ones forward sealing anyway?????

Latest posts

Back